What coolant's in my Vibe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2009 Pontiac Vibe, and noticed that the coolant appears to be pink. I'm guessing that maybe this is a new Toyota coolant? The manual states to strictly use Dexcool - but this certainly doesn't appear to be Dexcool to me. My previous Sunfire had Dexcool, and it was always rather orange in color - where this is quite distinctly pink. From what I've read, I'd rather not put Dexcool into a system that's never had it.

If anybody knows for sure what this is, I'd be interested to know. I'd like to know what it's compatible with for future reference - mainly when it's time for a change. I know it's going to be a while, but I just "like to know".

Thanks,
John

Originally Posted By: John_Snyder
I'm guessing that maybe this is a new Toyota coolant?

Correct, it's not Dexcool, it's "Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant" which is pink.

The manual(GM) recommends Dexcool probably for convenience. Most Pontiac dealers usually sell Buick and GMC also, and they all use Dexcool. My guess is that they don't want to stock the Toyota pink just for the Vibes.

some GM service centers do carry the " PINK " . At least ours did . This was for a 2000 CHEVY Prizm ( Corolla ) . Had the coolant changed at around 60,000 miles by GM ( PONTIAC ) dealership . Make it known to the service manager / staff that's it's the PINK or RED coolant . Then check coolant under the cap to make sure it's correct fluid . Let car sit awhile before removing cap .

Last edited:
I have wondered this as well. My truck, the current Envoy and the 06 lease all had PINK Antifreeze as a FF. Does this mean the FF is not Dexcool? I thought someone told me the ACDeelco bottled DEXcool is pink. Although I have not verified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back