What constitutes a used up bypass oil filter

If I ran an Amsoil bypass oil filter until the outside of the can no longer got hot meaning no oil was flowing through, then pulled it from service and cut it apart, what would it look like? An inch of black crud on the filter media. Or just clogged filter media that is difficult to detect visually.

Depends on the condition of your engine I'd think. Since you're on this site, I'd wager you might see some discoloration, but no sludge.
laugh.gif

I've been using the temperature of the by pass filter for the time to replace the filter. This is what I learned from old time mechanics that worked on engines that only had a by pass oil filter. It has worked for me for more years than I care to remember

Donald - are you just asking because you're curious? Or do you have an application actually in use?

If you run the BP element until the flow is low enough that the canister is cool to the touch, they the BP is essentially blinded off and not flowing anything to speak of. (likely flowing some, but not enough to make a tangible difference).

The BP element will catch pretty much any particle that is about 2-3um or larger, so yes, it will catch soot once the soot gets that large. (Soot starts out WAY smaller, so it takes a fairly long OCI to get to that state).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3

The BP element will catch pretty much any particle that is about 2-3um or larger, so yes, it will catch soot once the soot gets that large. (Soot starts out WAY smaller, so it takes a fairly long OCI to get to that state).

I would say 99.999% of all diesel engine oil soot is smaller than 1 micron and won't be trapped by the bypass filter.

However, I seen multiple reports where a bypass filter makes big changes in particle count reductions. So that is something.

would this feeling or measuring for hot oil method work on the FS-2500 bypass filters are well??.. "they" recommend the filter element be replaced every 10K miles but I have gone longer not knowing if that is good or bad.. the elements are like 30 bucks so going longer is better for me.. :)

would this feeling or measuring for hot oil method work on the FS-2500 bypass filters are well??.. "they" recommend the filter element be replaced every 10K miles but I have gone longer not knowing if that is good or bad.. the elements are like 30 bucks so going longer is better for me.. :)
Temp would work for any bypass

Another is to compare oil shade before/after filter

And best to do a particle count to see if bypass is working

The application determines whether filter lasts 5k or 50k

You really only replace the element when it's no longer hot after running the engine for some time. Depends on your engine, and what your duty is etc as to how long the bypass lasts. If it's hot keep running it.:)

I've thought about getting a temp differential by getting them from the oil pan and filter element after a short warm up or drive. Instead I change the EaBP90 element every 3rd oil change(40k miles) on my gasoline 4.0L and gasoline 6.2L engines.

Back