What can I use for Supercharger oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a supercharged '99 Buick Regal. I got it for $5k with 103k miles, and in pretty good shape. Seemed mostly garage kept.

However, I doubt the supercharger oil had ever been changed, and I hear it's recommended to do so every 15-25k miles.

Amazon sells a small bottle of the regular oil, but I was wondering if there was something I could use instead, perhaps a better product.

Also, how do I know my supercharger is doing much? I have a SC Boost reading, but it usually just stays at 0psi.

I've always used the GM Supercharger oil at 36k intervals. Pricey for such a small bottle. Stinks like the dickens when changing it out. Good YouTube video on using a spray bottle sprayer. Think Summitracing has it too.

I've perused the Regal forum for info. Diagram of the vacuum hose routing and t- fitting replacement was helpful.

There's a GM TSB that offers that you can use M1 5W30 in them...will try to find it.

The supercharger oil is $40+ a bottle down here, and I need "nearly" 2...I used it (bought from ZZ Performance, cheaper than I could get it in Oz), but now am using an A3/B4 5W30 synthetic engine oil.

GMSuperchargerOil5W30part2.jpg

Awesome! I looked this up elsewhere as well after seeing your post.

How much would I need? I would think a 1-qt bottle would last me a while.

Intense Racing sells a SC oil (supposedly from the same supplier as the genuine GM oil) in 8 oz bottles, meaning you only need one bottle per change. You can use the squeeze bottle method to empty the nose cone and then refill until it is at the bottom of the threads of the fill hole, which will be just under 8 oz. I have done it twice now on my GP and it's not too bad. As everyone stresses over and over, DO NOT OVERFILL!

Edit: And you will only be under boost under moderate to hard acceleration. If you're not, then there may be something wrong with the SC bypass (which works off of vacuum, I believe, in determining when/how much intake air is routed through the SC) or the SC impellers.

Last edited:
You know what would also be helpful? A link to GM that verifies that 5w30 is okay in the M90 supercharger. As far as I can tell, that bulletin only specifically referred to the Eaton M62.

I would rather not burn up my supercharger, but I would like to have more/better options than choosing either OEM or OEM, and paying 8-10 times as much.

4oz of GM SC oil? $8-$9. If I get Mobil 1 5w30, I get 32oz for $7-$8. That just seems ridiculous. I thought about using PPPP as well, though I may read more into that.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merc...=3800_Induction

$9 plus shipping for 8 oz, which is enough for one fill.

Edit: And one fill should last you 25k+ miles (GM does not even specify draining and refilling, just checking the level and topping off every 25k miles), so while I understand saving a few bucks, don't be penny wise and pound foolish when appropriate oils are readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OpenClose
You know what would also be helpful? A link to GM that verifies that 5w30 is okay in the M90 supercharger. As far as I can tell, that bulletin only specifically referred to the Eaton M62.

I would rather not burn up my supercharger, but I would like to have more/better options than choosing either OEM or OEM, and paying 8-10 times as much.

4oz of GM SC oil? $8-$9. If I get Mobil 1 5w30, I get 32oz for $7-$8. That just seems ridiculous. I thought about using PPPP as well, though I may read more into that.

Just use the recommended lube. Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish about it. As a substitute lube if the right stuff was not available and it was an emergency, I would choose a high quality synthetic gear lube, not a motor oil. The supercharger sump is separate from the engine oil system and does not get products of combustion in it. The fine pitch gears in an Eaton supercharger really can abuse an oil.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
I've always used the GM Supercharger oil at 36k intervals. Pricey for such a small bottle. Stinks like the dickens when changing it out. Good YouTube video on using a spray bottle sprayer. Think Summitracing has it too.

I've perused the Regal forum for info. Diagram of the vacuum hose routing and t- fitting replacement was helpful.

X2 I run it as well in my M112
wink.gif

Okay, so I got some of the GM oil coming in.

It was offered nowhere in my city. The closest it was offered to where I live was probably Louisville or St.Louis each about 130 miles away.

When I asked for supercharger oil, O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys, and Napa all gave me dumbfounded looks or told me it was a rare specialty item they can't even get.

It ended up being almost $40 for 3 4oz bottles. Compare that to the $7.25 I paid for 32oz of Pennzoil Platinum/PurePlus.

I'm glad I'll actually be sure about what I'm using, but I think it's outragious that something you should change every 20,000mi is so expensive, is offered only online, and has only 1 or 2 brands to choose from.

Also, I tried flooring it from 0-70MPH (something like 7-8 seconds) My boost never seemed to go past zero.

Last edited:
.I'm glad I'll actually be sure about what I'm using, but I think it's outragious that something you should change every 20,000mi is so expensive, is offered only online, and has only 1 or 2 brands to choose from.

You should change it every 20,000 miles? Who says? Not GM or Eaton. They only recommend checking the fluid level every 25,000 miles and topping off as needed. Outside the manufacturer, the most common fluid replacement schedule I have seen is 50,000 miles.

The price is driven by basic supply and demand. There is not much demand, so there is not a lot of production of the product and limited retail shelf space, and those who do produce and sell it can then demand a premium.

Also, I tried flooring it from 0-70MPH (something like 7-8 seconds) My boost never seemed to go past zero.

Sounds like the supercharger bypass isn't closing. You need to get the operation of the bypass actuator checked out.

I guess here are my symptoms, if they are symptoms:

-I don't notice any particular supercharger whine. Not sure if it's only turbos that do this.

-0.0 reading from OBD-II Boost reading. (OBD-link)

-There is no knocking or knock retard even when getting on it with 86-octane. I thought superchargers caused combustion on lower octane because of the greater charge.

I still think it's a really fast car, but I'm not sure if it's because I had been driving a '93 F150, and am not used to a smaller vehicle with the 3800.

It takes a 15mm spanner to flip the blower belt off.

Do a run, flip the belt off and try again...I've driven mine after my wife shredded the blower belt (sharp u turn with a jerky P/S pump and the lot got munched)....you will notice the difference...or not.

I would just use the GM supercharger oil so that you know you are using the correct stuff. I used it to change my supercharger oil in the 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I used to have. I bought two bottles and don't remember it being that expensive. I have about a 1/4 of a bottle left.

I used the spray bottle top to empty it and a small funnel to fill it back up. I bought the car with 87,800 miles on it and changed it not long after.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back