It's cold 🥶
So just minor checks
Project xB seems to be doing well with oil consumption
1000009019.jpg

Almost 1,000 miles, not even 0.5qt used
1000009017.jpg

I believe that's Total 5w40 and 1qt HPL EC30
I'll probably take it to 3k or a year, not seeing much mileage these days 🤷‍♂️

2015 CRV, (CVT), 5 qts of ATF drained/filled. 85k miles. This was interesting.

CVT had drain/fill at 50k with Honda hcf-2. No issue, no change in any characteristic. this winter, we noticed a rattle sound when cruising neighborhood decorations at low speed. It sounded a lot like a cranky AC compressor, but then realized it wasn’t. It happened consistently around 1300-1700 rpm, but only at creeping speeds. Very repeatable, and very easy to hear (obvious) and very much like an ignorable aging compressor.

4.5 quarts of hcf-2 sucked out. It was dark, but reasonably dark; nothing to be alarmed about.

5 quarts of amsoil CVT fluid went in. I drove it around a few miles and then sucked out the extra half quart.

um, even my wife noticed the change. Now, this vehicle hasn’t missed a beat and drives great, so we weren’t chasing a problem. But it is slightly quieter, feels more direct, feels surprisingly sporty-ready to go. And, the transmission is *almost* silent in that low rpm neighborhood creep mode. It has a notable change in feel, more than I would have expected. Will keep an eye on this. Good stuff.

Installed another Hopkins tailgate torsion bar, this time on a 2nd Gen Ram for an elderly lady. Last time was a GMT800.

In both cases I'm very impressed. If you have anyone in your life who drives a truck but is elderly, weak, maybe an upcoming surgery.....it makes a HUGE difference
20240107_174054.jpg

1991 Volvo 240 sedan, 231,100 miles

Restored fuel injectors from @Trav, aka Hurst Injector Service.

The engine idles more smoothly and there’s a noticeable increase in acceleration.

Thank you @Trav!

Also shown is my favorite socket: Ko-ken nut grip.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 13
1989 Toyota pickup 22R 4 cylinder
Replaced the exhaust pipe-to-manifold flange gaskets

1998 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
Replaced steering box, idler arm and pitman arm, flushed power steering, changed engine oil

2002 Ford F-150 4.6 V8
Diagnosed a bad water pump. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Removed the front end support, drained coolant and removed the washer reservoir from the Mini.

Put the condenser up out of my way for now, and will have to work around it when the head comes off. I’m trying to avoid losing my refrigerant charge, so it remains.

Removed the heat shields from the turbo, removed the bolts from the turbo to the down pipe and prepared to remove the turbo completely from the engine compartment. Once that’s out I can remove the thermostat housing, the leaky oil filter housing, and begin head removal.

A few other parts will be replaced even if they’re functional because I’ll have ready access and I have them on hand. I don’t want to have it back and running for only a day or so only to have something I could have replaced fail. 😐

Yesterday I got 5 yards of crushed rock delivered.

Yesterday I shoveled some of the crushed rock. I put the first amount of crushed rock in a dip, a muddy, holey, dip.

Today I will shovel more crushed rock.

The crushed rock is for my driveway that has accelerated its disappearing act.

I perhaps will take some pictures now, having missed out on the best, earliest, nastiest before shot.

The worst part of the crushed rock moving is the wife thought it was for just her driveway part to her garage. This area is not muddy. A few tiny areas of water when raining hard. You know how that made me feel?

It made me feel like the rock is angry at me for being crushed.

:LOL: o_O :D:cool:

Just checked voltage on the second of 3 vehicles after setting overnight and after removing maintenance charger the day before.
Since it's going to be 50*F today, I'll wash/check level of "today's battery" (common maintenance) as it had some sweat on its top.
Tire pressures too....don't forget Mr. Spare!

Never heard of Hopkins Torsion Bars before (post #6,531 -6 posts above). Too bad they're not available for more vehicles.

Last edited:
Back