What are you working on today?

Never understood this coming from a Mechanic?....Not just you because I've it from many, Day goes by faster when you're busy & the company making money allows us to keep our jobs.
I guess it’s just the hourly mindset haha. I’ll do work if it’s there but I’m not going to ask for it if it’s not. Because if I do I’ll get stuck helping with oil changes and rotates I don’t mind that but I don’t want to do more than a few of those a day. Honestly we haven’t had a whole lot of work. That’s why they cut so many jobs at my shop. I guess a valid reason is they always pile me up with waiters and I can’t stand that cause then I feel rushed. And they always take walk ins which they aren’t supposed to take any walk ins at all unless we are dead dead.

Excited for these to come in tonight.
2C8C3651-AF9C-4553-B699-D045B961B02B.jpeg

Broke out the Milwaukee worklight and started installing the Proclip dash mount on the Silverado. Instructions gave two options to clip the mount onto the dash bezel, the top vent or the bottom cubby hole. Chose the cubby hole since I wanted it mounted down low and not poking above the dash like an Uber driver.
BD79861C-EB67-4694-9ED5-0870760E1F00.jpeg

After satisfied with the test fit, the swivel unscrews from the holder then secured onto the mount. Kept it up high to not interfere with the ashtray Scangauge.
58DEF597-AF31-4323-94B5-8E48B1F4D27E.jpeg

Remount holder onto swivel, tighten screw about halfway to allow for adjustments, then tighten swivel screw to lock into your satisfactory position.
Did not show screws to adjust the sides but after proper adjustment, it snugly holds an iPhone 13 Pro Max with an Otterbox Defender case.
The Proclip are pricey but it beats having dash/windshield suction cup damage/use of permanent adhesives or losing a cup holder.
EC19351D-AD5E-4977-A684-825AE69C4C86.jpeg

I guess it’s just the hourly mindset haha. I’ll do work if it’s there but I’m not going to ask for it if it’s not. Because if I do I’ll get stuck helping with oil changes and rotates I don’t mind that but I don’t want to do more than a few of those a day. Honestly we haven’t had a whole lot of work. That’s why they cut so many jobs at my shop. I guess a valid reason is they always pile me up with waiters and I can’t stand that cause then I feel rushed. And they always take walk ins which they aren’t supposed to take any walk ins at all unless we are dead dead.
Just remember one thing: you are never above someone else’s job. Forget that and you will not let long. I’ve had to do tires and oil changes many days when techs screw off ir just don’t show up.

Plus the Honda training I’m doing I’m getting paid for so I don’t mind.

Replaced the original water pump, drivebelt & tensioner, idler rollers, and did a coolant flush on the Benz.

Ready to go another 130K miles.

Basically, you're not interested in being productive in revenue-generating activities. People like you are an example of why the auto repair industry continues to feel flat-rate is necessary.

Basically, you're not interested in being productive in revenue-generating activities. People like you are an example of why the auto repair industry continues to feel flat-rate is necessary.
I dunno....I kinda see both sides. In some environments the guy who is willing to help with anything is rewarded and promoted. In other environments that helpfulness is just abused and that person gets stuck doing menial tasks well below his skill level because the people who really should be doing those tasks are too lazy.

I guess this is where good managers come into play?

I'm not taking sides and maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I work alone so I'm THE GUY for everything ;)

I dunno....I kinda see both sides. In some environments the guy who is willing to help with anything is rewarded and promoted. In other environments that helpfulness is just abused and that person gets stuck doing menial tasks well below his skill level because the people who really should be doing those tasks are too lazy.

I guess this is where good managers come into play?

I'm not taking sides and maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I work alone so I'm THE GUY for everything ;)
From what I have seen (in multiple industries), helping other team members has always been an "extra-curricular" activity - there is generally no place for an employee to remain on payroll solely for "helping" others - you also need to be revenue producing on your own.

My friend came over worked on his 2015 Toyota RAV4 FWD with 39k.Changed coolant drain and fill with super tech walmart brand for toyota about 6 quarts.Rotate tires Michelin CC2,checked pads and lubricate caliper pins,took out rear rotors cleaned the insideAlso checked air filter and cabin air filter still good.Oil change done last week.Car ready for spring/summer driving Chicago.

Reactions: D60
From what I have seen (in multiple industries), helping other team members has always been an "extra-curricular" activity - there is generally no place for an employee to remain on payroll solely for "helping" others - you also need to be revenue producing on your own.
Yeah, I just know I have to be revenue-producing for myself or the mortgage doesn't get paid and I can't buy SnapOn tools to try to keep up with certain members..... :D

I showed my boss this. His exact words were “if he’s above jobs and not wanting to do oil change and tires; I’d fire him”

I did like 11 hours to finish all 16 HONDA training including PDI(pre delivery inspection) today. And I’m getting 80 cents per “module(exam) I pass. I don’t mind it. I am per hour so it works out nicely too.

Could only fit a 3/8 chrome in the spot so had to use these adapters. The lug nuts were standard acorn lug nuts to pair with the wheels. They should have been downsized to a 19mm. Whoever done it should have known that.
Snap On's chrome 3/8" dr 21mm deep socket has a hex-end diameter of 28.6mm:

This Tekton 21mm Impact Socket shows a Hex-End Diameter of 28.19mm (converted from 1.11"):

Last edited:
I showed my boss this. His exact words were “if he’s above jobs and not wanting to do oil change and tires; I’d fire him”

I did like 11 hours to finish all 16 HONDA training including PDI(pre delivery inspection) today. And I’m getting 80 cents per “module(exam) I pass. I don’t mind it. I am per hour so it works out nicely too.
Hey Blake; wait til’ your dealership says “you have til’ this day to complete all of your Toyota training. You won’t be laughing then. Just saying, as HONDA training is just as fun. They probably will reimburse you each test you pass too🙏🏻

Yesterday:

Shop neighbor said his 16 RAV4 was due for service. I checked my records and the last time I worked on it was in Sept 2021 at 85K. He said it was at 104K and I was the last to open the hood! :eek:

He gets free labor and cost for parts, so I "sold" him a basic 90K service (oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin air filter) plus a brake fluid exchange, engine coolant drain/refill (due at 10/100k) and drive belt. Of course, I checked all lights, tested the battery, inflated all tires including the spare and topped off the washer fluid.

Surprisingly the oil level was at the full mark - it was M1 EP 0W20. I grabbed a sample for an UOA. I refilled with HPL 10W20 and a Fram Ultra Oil Filter. The new oil was dark within a few minutes of engine operation.

New battery day for the Dakota.. Had to get a new hold down bolt and positive terminal. Funny years ago I'd just strap it down with a bungee cord. Feels good to do something somewhat right 🤣

Attempted alignment on the Festiva again. Used two levels and two tape measures this time. Maybe little less than 1/8 toe. Feels perfect! No more messing with strings, can never get it right with that method.
7354DF41-AB9E-40A1-A9E0-6016ADF10B33.jpeg

I'd fire someone for that too. Yeah, tires and oil changes arent my favorite thing in the world to do, id much rather spend my day doing electrical work, dash work, or programming but work is work and its all gotta get done and if tires and oil changes are whats on the schedule today then thats what im doing.

We were busy today at work. Typical for a Friday these days. Got in a few parts for the Tacoma. It’s not assigned to me but I’m doing all the work since I’m hourly I had them put a flat rate guys number on it so he can get paid for it. He is there to help if I need it too. It’s a good paying job. Not sure exactly what they booked it as but it’s good I was told it’s costing 13k for the job not sure if that’s just word of mouth or what but that includes parts labor etc. Customer is paying for everything so far the only thing I’ve put in is the cabin air filter and began on the flooring. Spent most of my day doing that. I’ve never put flooring in a car but I’m happy to do it if it’s something we do. Good learning experience too. Happy to have a senior tech who is willing to show me things I don’t know.

About 4:30 the porter came to me and asked if I minded changing the oil in his 2007 Frontier which I didn’t mind at all. I beg to work on old stuff lol. I also changed the oil in his wife’s Ascent last week or the week before. I also sold him a cabin and engine air filter. It had the two piece Nissan cabin filters which believe it or not were original and so dirty probably the worst I’ve seen I wanted to snag a picture but the boss was on him about getting the trash out so he took them off the workbench before i could get a picture. I made sure to check everything first so I could have parts make one big order before the parts stores stopped delivering. I don’t get commission on the air or cabin filters as he paid for them separately so he could get employee price but that’s ok he is a good guy a retired sheriff deputy. He said he couldn’t remember the last time the oil was changed as the Nissan dealership next door didn’t put a sticker in it last time. Filter had someone’s writing on it of 4/2021. Installed the nice pretty blue ACDelco filter on it. AutoExtra cabin and engine filters from Auto Plus. He said reason he never changed the cabin filter is the dealership kept telling him that year didn’t have a cabin filter. Didn’t rotate his tires so no brake inspection or anything. He was glad to get it done and I was happy to help. He likes to talk tools with me so I enjoy that a lot.

Started the cam swap on the 77 K10. Pulled the intake, radiator, water pump, harmonic balancer and timing cover. Got called away to go boost off a neighbor's car. Really didn't feel like doing anything else when I got back so I showered and slept for a few hours. I won't have the cam kit until next week anyway.

Back