What are you working on today?

The blower motor was bad in this 2015 Nissan Versa Note. This really makes you appreciate the blower motors that are placed under the glovebox. 😉🍻
I’ve replaced several blower motors in Nissan’s of this vintage down at the car lot. Seems to be a failure prone part,…at least in my experience.

The drivers floorboard with the steering shaft, throttle assembly, brake pedal assembly, and various other little parts removed and everything unplugged. View attachment 122237

The offending part, hiding way back up in the deepest part of the dash right against the firewall.
(Edit-The offending part had already been replaced, this is a photo of the aftermarket replacement I installed.)
View attachment 122238View attachment 122239

It’s not the only thing I worked on today, but I’m so impressed with their placement of these blower motors, I thought I should share. Thank you Nissan! 😉🍻
Ya know I did a '94 Caravan a couple years ago and while I'm sure there are even more difficult examples it was similar to your experience.

If you distort your body just right and cut a bunch of rubberized insulation from the firewall then pry some other stuff out of the way with one hand whilst shoehorning it in with the other hand it barely makes it

Ya know I did a '94 Caravan a couple years ago and while I'm sure there are even more difficult examples it was similar to your experience.

If you distort your body just right and cut a bunch of rubberized insulation from the firewall then pry some other stuff out of the way with one hand whilst shoehorning it in with the other hand it barely makes it
I’ve never done one on a caravan from that era, and it sounds like I don’t really want to from your description. 🤔
To be honest, this one on this Nissan wasn’t difficult, just tedious with only a small amount of yoga (body distortion) involved. After everything is moved out of the way, it comes out fairly easy.
Like I said, it does make you appreciate the ones directly under the glovebox though,…no yoga or tedious disassembly required. 🍻

Friday
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe
Replaced front and rear brake rotors and pads, replaced rear calipers and hoses, changed engine oil

1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Flushed heater core

Replaced IACV O-ring.

If that makes a difference I will be stunned.....

Here is the old one. The new one is green.
20221022_120022.jpg
20221022_120000_001.jpg

Do you use CLR or anything else for hc flushes? Or just run water through in both directions?

Also, "you know the colder weather has set in when....." :D
I've been blowing this heater core out every couple of years with a power flushing tool. Just pressurized shop water until the crud quits. I've been trying to get this customer to replace the heater core, radiator, hoses and do a full system flush for years. One day there won't be anything to flush.

Oil change and new battery on the kids 2018 Jeep Compass (What a turd).

Grump of the day. Auto parts stores. Pull out her battery, send her and the boyfriend to the store to get a replacement. Sent them WITH the OEM battery.

There are indeed 2 sizes of battery for this thing. One with (smaller) and one without (larger) the auto stop/start. Hers needs the smaller battery.

Of course the store sends her back with the larger one. Give it the ol college try...nope, not going. Back to the store for the right one.

They could have just matched up the old one I sent with them, but no, we gotta trust the computer.

Oil change and new battery on the kids 2018 Jeep Compass (What a turd).

Grump of the day. Auto parts stores. Pull out her battery, send her and the boyfriend to the store to get a replacement. Sent them WITH the OEM battery.

There are indeed 2 sizes of battery for this thing. One with (smaller) and one without (larger) the auto stop/start. Hers needs the smaller battery.

Of course the store sends her back with the larger one. Give it the ol college try...nope, not going. Back to the store for the right one.

They could have just matched up the old one I sent with them, but no, we gotta trust the computer.

Of course not, that would have been to easy for parts store idiots 🤣

Nothing mechanical, but I got the Camaro washed, waxed (Meg's Ceramic), tire dressed, etc... So it's all set for winter slumber when the time comes (I should still have a few weeks left!). Then I can just wash, oil change, fresh fuel/stabilizer and get it on the battery tender for 2-3 months.

Parts are definitely getting to be a problem. I was surprised to find that Toyota can still supply a OEM timing belt though, I'm taking mine to the dealer in a couple weeks to have it done. I don't have the time or space to do it at the farm. I too hope to see 300-400k miles out of mine. I always keep an eye out for parts cars local to me. Eventually I'll snag one that should help get a while longer out of mine.
Got mine back on the road today! I’ll try to attach pics (the paint has finally started to go bad).
AF84AAAE-DBC7-4C18-9C58-51F5F0E1FA60.jpeg
72AD0A03-45E5-4178-835A-8096C39EA91D.jpeg
3DD720A6-30EC-436F-BB1C-184F68EA2912.jpeg

Needed the truck to move a hutch for my dad so my son and I scooted over to my wife's work, grabbed it (left her the Jeep in case she got off before we were done) and so we did that, then I had my son pull another storm window while I quickly washed and waxed the truck, using that same Griot's 3-in-1 that @Rand gifted me for the Jeep. Turned out really well!

1D48B426-94EC-4C86-94CF-63B63B4BEC4A_1_105_c.jpeg

Replaced the rear control arms on my niece’s 2004 Jaguar X-type. She bought it from me and went to get it aligned. Shop told her it needed all that and even a new driveshaft for whatever reason. She knows her car stuff, and didn’t bite at their $2000 offer to do it all right then. 🤣

She ordered the parts that I listed from RockAuto. Except I’ll have to teach her to order properly from there, as she had like 6 shipments coming in, absolutely killing any savings she might have had.. 🫤

Installed the parts yesterday and they went in, for the most part, as well as could be expected.

The old parts weren’t too bad, but the lower forward control arm was a touch wiggly and that’s probably what lead to the inside tread on her tires to be scrubbed off. New tires are required. Also changed out sway bar bushes and end links.

It’s all back together and it’s solid. No thunks or thumps from the rear. But it does now need front brakes (warped rotors), but fortunately she already had those on the shelf. Just a matter of installing.

Attachments

• BBDDD03E-65A0-470E-830F-EEF138245F18.jpeg
    BBDDD03E-65A0-470E-830F-EEF138245F18.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 24D0306D-109E-4EEF-A0DE-716DAAD1402B.jpeg
    24D0306D-109E-4EEF-A0DE-716DAAD1402B.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 13
Dismounted all of my Tercel wheels to get them ready to drop off at the powder coater in the morning. Decided to do rear brakes while the wheels are gone. The grease looked pretty rough and the bearings didn’t feel or sound very good. Ordered Raybestos drums, shoes and hardware kit plus new Timken bearings and seals from Rockauto. I’ll pack everything with Schaeffer 219.

Attachments

• 3CAAD90A-4603-4B53-ACC3-643A77B66ED6.jpeg
    3CAAD90A-4603-4B53-ACC3-643A77B66ED6.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 6E905F05-C03F-4738-8C91-F63CA1726454.jpeg
    6E905F05-C03F-4738-8C91-F63CA1726454.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
  • FFECB5B2-FE40-4BE1-88BC-8E5A8B169A2F.jpeg
    FFECB5B2-FE40-4BE1-88BC-8E5A8B169A2F.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 16
First oil change on the '22 forester derped and overfilled it..
my 2011 took 5.5qt the 2015 took 5.2qt..
So I dumped in the whole 5qt jug......this one takes 4.4qt
oil extractor to the rescue.

Then I changed the oil in the deere 316 put in some motul POWER 5w40 estercore
Was on the fence but I have absolutely nothing else to run it in.. and it was free.
I usually run 15w40 diesel oil in there but I'm out at the house.

Somehow managed to overfill it too.. right after I put the oil extractor away....
Giant warning on the dipstick to not overfill so I sucked out the 4oz.

Cleaned the prefilter with a vac too.

First oil change on the '22 forester derped and overfilled it..
my 2011 took 5.5qt the 2015 took 5.2qt..
So I dumped in the whole 5qt jug......this one takes 4.4qt
oil extractor to the rescue.

Then I changed the oil in the deere 316 put in some motul POWER 5w40 estercore
Was on the fence but I have absolutely nothing else to run it in.. and it was free.
I usually run 15w40 diesel oil in there but I'm out at the house.

Somehow managed to overfill it too.. right after I put the oil extractor away....
Giant warning on the dipstick to not overfill so I sucked out the 4oz.

Cleaned the prefilter with a vac too.
You and I are on the same wavelength tonight....I've apparently forgotten how to properly lube my pistol without overdoing it. Sometimes the brain just don't work. 😑 I need to borrow your extractor so I can suck out all the stupid I've got floating around in my head right now. 😵

Finished my 30k service to the Ranger today. All told, I:

Replaced the air filter - Microguard Replacement
Changed the oil - Havoline LifeLong 5W30 and a Bosch Distance Plus filter
Sucked out 3ish quarts of ATF and replaced with the same amount of Valvoline ULV
Drained the rear end and refilled with Valvoline Synthetic 75W90
Replaced the plugs with Motorcraft replacements
Rotated the tires front to back. I don't generally do the criss cross stuff. F/B usually works just fine for me.

Once again I'm drawn to searching to see if someone is making a dipstick for the 10R80, other than the $200+ one thats out there now. The factory one just flat sucks....

Last edited:
Letting the car run for an extended period (idling hours) to get the most out of CataClean product . in low fuel level .
Do not worry for whoever may be looking. The test that I'm doing may ultimately result in concluding that the catalytic converter itself needs replacement. I did go with the $250 one off of 1A Auto by the way.

Back