What are you working on today?

Wednesday
2016 Dodge Dart
Replaced front rotors and pads, turned rear rotors replaced pads, replaced spark plugs and ignition coils, replaced windshield washer nozzles, replaced oil pressure sensor, replaced air filter, changed engine oil

1991 Chevrolet S10
Did the clutch a few weeks ago, the throw out bearing started making a chirping noise so today was R&I transmission and replaced bearing under warranty

Nice to see another Tercel on here! Mine is a 94 and looks like it was the same color as yours before the repaint. Best $1500 I’ve ever spent.
There’s fewer and fewer out there. They used to be so cheap to fix but parts are drying up. Stuff that used to have 10 different aftermarket supplies is no longer available new at all. Toyota has also stopped making a lot of parts.

I still love mine but it’s on the way out to someone else soon who wants to work on it. Hopefully it’ll make it to 400k!

There’s fewer and fewer out there. They used to be so cheap to fix but parts are drying up. Stuff that used to have 10 different aftermarket supplies is no longer available new at all. Toyota has also stopped making a lot of parts.

I still love mine but it’s on the way out to someone else soon who wants to work on it. Hopefully it’ll make it to 400k!
Parts are definitely getting to be a problem. I was surprised to find that Toyota can still supply a OEM timing belt though, I'm taking mine to the dealer in a couple weeks to have it done. I don't have the time or space to do it at the farm. I too hope to see 300-400k miles out of mine. I always keep an eye out for parts cars local to me. Eventually I'll snag one that should help get a while longer out of mine.

Parts are definitely getting to be a problem. I was surprised to find that Toyota can still supply a OEM timing belt though, I'm taking mine to the dealer in a couple weeks to have it done. I don't have the time or space to do it at the farm. I too hope to see 300-400k miles out of mine. I always keep an eye out for parts cars local to me. Eventually I'll snag one that should help get a while longer out of mine.
I had a bad alternator recently and it turned out Toyota doesn’t make them anymore and there’s no stock. Nobody else does either…only Cardone remans, which I refuse to use since they’re junk. OEM junkyard part saved the day.

Oddly, it had a lot more “pep” after that. Must have been going bad for years.

Good luck getting to 400k!

Yesterday

2020 Ford F-150 XLT truck for oil change

Been 10k plus mikes since last oil change. One of the “building maintenance clowns” truck. Due for inspection; needs rear tires and rear brakes. 55,900miles on truck

A bit of a "sneak peek" per se, but I think I will see about this front 02 sensor today. If I can get it changed out. There is a whole slew of things can cause P0420.. based on what I know right now, that is a logical place to start.

Had a full bay at work last night. Got out around 1:30am. The loader has no heat(recirculation filter was clogged), none of the wipers work, and most of the lights are inop. Front wiper has a short somewhere so I pulled the dash out to access the cab harness. Rear wiper had a blown fuse and broken arm. Also due for major PM(all fluids and filters) since it hit 8000 hours yesterday.

The bobcat had a blown o ring on a wheel motor hose and was due for a PM also.

View attachment 121920
Who needs heat, bwahaha?

Flushed/bled the brakes on the Sportwagen. 2x 500ml Motul RBF600 and a pressure bleeder. Always amazed at how dark the fluid that comes out is after less than a year. Fluid was free from FCP Euro with their Lifetime Replacement and return shipping is still free through Nov with Paypal so tossed in 2 oil filters/plugs so should get about $80 refunded.

I am putting a new headlight bulb in my 2012 Honda Civic. It's the first bulb that has blown out in 123,000 miles. The high beam works but the low beam is burned out. This is the most dependable and trouble free vehicle that I have ever owned.

That may be a world record for longevity of a O.E.M.💡. 🥇

I had a bad alternator recently and it turned out Toyota doesn’t make them anymore and there’s no stock. Nobody else does either…only Cardone remans, which I refuse to use since they’re junk. OEM junkyard part saved the day.

Oddly, it had a lot more “pep” after that. Must have been going bad for years.

Good luck getting to 400k!
I meant distributor. Alternators are still out there!

That may be a world record for longevity of a O.E.M.💡. 🥇
It was actually an aftermarket set of cheap replacements due to hazy headlights. Unfortunately for some reason the bulb is not grounding properly and I just bought two brand new complete headlight units again. They were only $125 on Amazon with free delivery. I have to remove the bumper cover to install them. I have had a ration of bad luck lately around the house with things breaking. They are coming in on Sunday.

Worked on my well house today. It’s a retired railroad signal house that I bought. Slowly gutting it and turning it into a well house for my property. I’ll be going back with a new sub panel, LED vapor tight lights, through wall exhaust fan and a small heater. At least that’s the plan.

Attachments

• 20230751-2EDC-40BD-AB1E-2E681D0F787A.jpeg
    20230751-2EDC-40BD-AB1E-2E681D0F787A.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1C3F141D-8775-4AF9-87D1-254101D27AA2.jpeg
    1C3F141D-8775-4AF9-87D1-254101D27AA2.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 54A71AFF-C1C5-43EC-8C34-624EBB278EA1.jpeg
    54A71AFF-C1C5-43EC-8C34-624EBB278EA1.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 19
  • CBF7824F-242D-4AC1-BB04-AAC09BEA9920.jpeg
    CBF7824F-242D-4AC1-BB04-AAC09BEA9920.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 19
  • D348A8FB-EE57-463D-BDBE-BE1507612222.jpeg
    D348A8FB-EE57-463D-BDBE-BE1507612222.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 38F9DE28-AB91-4046-88DA-A53310D21CB8.jpeg
    38F9DE28-AB91-4046-88DA-A53310D21CB8.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 18
  • C8DB7376-0980-4A68-95AA-7DED31C4C0BF.jpeg
    C8DB7376-0980-4A68-95AA-7DED31C4C0BF.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 20
Yesterday (Thursday)… installed new left side rear caliper on the Mini. I bought a pair on eBay, but the right side had a stripped out thread for the brake line. My right side was working, but I was changing it out because I had the pair. So I’ll be in touch with the seller about that. 🤨

Fortunately, what I did have for parts fixed my problem and the Mini has back again. I bought a pair of new brake lines, but looking at the corrosion on the small clips that hold the line where it connects to the hard lines, I decided to leave them be: when they snap, and they will, I don’t have a ready replacement and the car is disabled until I get some.

Same with the parking brake: cables look like they came off the Titanic, but I don’t have the clips to attach them to the caliper so for now, it’s disconnected. I cut the cable at the caliper and found that these crusty old cables were seizing, and making the calipers drag. Which explains the short, brief life of the rear pads and blued up burnt rotors.

Result! The car absolutely flies. The rear brake problem was enough to sap the performance for sure. I’m pleased. 🙂

I ordered in the new clips (I got extras in case, since each one is about a dollar or so from Pelican Parts). So the rear brake saga isn’t quite over. For now, it’s good.

Thursday
I picked up the 4.8 Vortec V8 from the machine shop yesterday morning and got it home and unloaded. I piddled with it, getting certain accessories hung back on it, but I probably won't actually put it in until next week. Took in a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe for brakes and an oil change. I'll work on it today. Cold weather has begun and that slows me down considerably. 🥶

The blower motor was bad in this 2015 Nissan Versa Note. This really makes you appreciate the blower motors that are placed under the glovebox. 😉🍻
I’ve replaced several blower motors in Nissan’s of this vintage down at the car lot. Seems to be a failure prone part,…at least in my experience.

The drivers floorboard with the steering shaft, throttle assembly, brake pedal assembly, and various other little parts removed and everything unplugged.
11CC785A-AAE2-4D17-9B18-BC35E7DD1F74.jpeg

The offending part, hiding way back up in the deepest part of the dash right against the firewall.
(Edit-The offending part had already been replaced, this is a photo of the aftermarket replacement I installed.)
A0AB3312-4D8E-461F-97A9-43060716E4FF.jpeg
423FD625-4284-4C72-A6C3-D56FF3DB5699.jpeg

It’s not the only thing I worked on today, but I’m so impressed with their placement of these blower motors, I thought I should share. Thank you Nissan! 😉🍻

Last edited:
Going to cut some firewood today - don’t care if I gotta wear swim trunks - need to use my outdoor 🔥 pit … 😷
I am looking forward to getting some time by our fire pit now that it’s getting cooler in the evenings. 🔥🍻
Unfortunately, it’s been so dry, we’ll have to wait until the burn bans get lifted.

Sons GF came up with her older model Jeep Patriot. i chased down squeaks and rattles, primarily the lift gate, bled the brakes and replaced the PS fluid, after just looking it over. This is a respectable little FWD SUV, then washed and waxed it and filled the tank. Rear brakes are noisy but the time wasn’t there for a tear down. The CVT does a surprisingly good job with the 2” lift and tires (32-33) that her dad put on it while it was his DD. the gas mileage, not so much.

Back