What are you working on today?

It's too bad all of clineb's great tech and photos are buried in this relatively obscure thread. Not a criticism, just sad to see the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Rosetta Stone tossed into a huge heap of otherwise mundane information and smarta** remarks from guys like myself
I enjoy your work and Clinebargers honestly 🍻🍻🇺🇸👍

I extended the square of 2 carriage bolts at the very specific request of a guy for a Subaru hitch install. Yeah, I know the heat likely annealed the graded fasteners.

Once I fully understood what he was doing and the exact application I watched a YT vid and I'm 98% sure he's trying to assemble it incorrectly. Oh well, I didn't make the diagnosis, I just did what I was asked. I'll show him the vid but I'm still charging....
20220513_144305.jpg

It's too bad all of clineb's great tech and photos are buried in this relatively obscure thread. Not a criticism, just sad to see the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Rosetta Stone tossed into a huge heap of otherwise mundane information and smarta** remarks from guys like myself
That’s alright, all of the cool kids know to come here and look for the occasional glimpse of brilliance. Cheers. 😉🍻

Got a little more time on the truck today. Going to need another half day or so at it. Sorry no more photos, was trying to work quickly. Wish I had some photos of the regulated return fuel system it’s a very nice made and engineered kit but certainly comes with a hefty price tag @800$. I’ll try to take some next time. Ignore the long plastic tube that it looks like it’s thrown in the engine bay and the missing bolts for the radiator brackets. Just started one in to hold it in place. Just put it that way to let the hood down. It’ll be secured prior to running.

Attachments

• BF920F36-2FE1-46A2-BABE-6C579996D9EF.jpeg
    BF920F36-2FE1-46A2-BABE-6C579996D9EF.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 25
  • BDE950F3-2BB0-4389-9260-A69A3410016E.jpeg
    BDE950F3-2BB0-4389-9260-A69A3410016E.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DDC20F4E-6692-4312-94E0-4EA248B9121B.jpeg
    DDC20F4E-6692-4312-94E0-4EA248B9121B.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 22
  • F3DDC71E-CB69-4CE2-AE64-2C174FA3A087.jpeg
    F3DDC71E-CB69-4CE2-AE64-2C174FA3A087.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4D76DD94-F421-49B9-804D-463E4E69FB05.jpeg
    4D76DD94-F421-49B9-804D-463E4E69FB05.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 23
  • A431D076-FE58-408E-85F2-3B5F0DDCF66D.jpeg
    A431D076-FE58-408E-85F2-3B5F0DDCF66D.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DFBBFD0E-3D02-4CB6-8F26-6EE8BA2D7DBD.jpeg
    DFBBFD0E-3D02-4CB6-8F26-6EE8BA2D7DBD.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 24
  • 63C93093-F541-4A9F-9FBA-16CB6103905B.jpeg
    63C93093-F541-4A9F-9FBA-16CB6103905B.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 24
Pulled the engine on a 96 Crown Victoria. Transferred the necessary parts to make an engine out of an 03 Town Car work….well maybe. I’m thinking I’ll still need to swap the oil pan and pickup tube but I may try to sit it in with the 6 qt pan and see if it’ll fit.

Only one broken manifold stud.

My aunt gave me a 2010 Hyundai Tucson yesterday and I needed to drive it about 150km to get home, plus a ferry ride. It has been driven very little over the last few years and not at all for a year.

I had to charge up the battery and replace a brake light. After starting, I couldn’t keep it running for more than a few seconds.

Eventually I got it on the road and made my way to the gas station. Unfortunately, the tank was 3/4 full but I filled it up with as much fresh gas as I could and added some gas line antifreeze and injector cleaner.

It got steadily better on the way home, to the point where it stopped stalling at every stop and light and was running smoothly. I’ll run it through a tank of gas, get some more fresh stuff in there and add another bottle of injector cleaner. I think I’m home free, though, based on how it’s running now.

I’m happy to have this - 98,000km, 6 speed manual, nice interior and it should be a bit more efficient than our 2005 CR-V.

PXL_20220515_171343771.jpg

PXL_20220516_222254797.jpg

Washed the A/C condensers on the xB and Camry

Once my wheel bearing bolts come in at the dealer, I'd like to put my Camry back together and drive it again

It's been on jackstands on my driveway for 3+ weeks now 😡

I'm still cranky about that wheel bearing, but I warrantied the other side

So they'll both be new at the same time, it'll be an experiment on longevity/durability

Driver's side gets the NTN/BCA Koyo Japan made unit, Passenger side is getting a SKF China made unit

Monday

1993 Buick LeSabre
Turned front rotors, replaced pads, changed oil and replaced air filter

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe
Replaced heater hoses and heater hose connectors

Tuesday

2018 Ram 1500 3.6 V6
Replaced oil cooler assembly and changed oil

Today
Nothing, absolutely nothing. I'm setting aside the rest of the week to mow grass and maybe a bit of wood splitting, but today I just want to relax.

Installed new QD fittings on the DEF doser heater coolant lines. Even did a coolant exchange since I lost 5 gallons of coolant yanking the lines. Replaced the Gates Powergrip "heatshrink" hose clamps with German style stainless steel clamps.

Also a stickler for even the small details.

2755FACD-6F2A-4BB0-A642-16C516A58B07.jpeg

A1B7C169-3D5D-441C-AB1B-4276BB933210.jpeg

Also

Finished up the 03 engine into 96 Crown Vic swap yesterday.

Put a starter on an 09 Impala, changed the oil on a Fiesta and checked out a golf cart to put some additional lights and either a lift kit or new set of shocks here in the near future.

4Runner got it's summer tires, set of 2018 Tacoma 245/65/16 on steel wheels - $475, thanks to some nice Wisconsin people for that deal. Now it drives more like a Camry and less like a tractor...just mostly gets parked for winter on the A/T tires - I might have this 4Runner forever and I'm not an adventurer...used the Hart impact, which has exceeded my expectations as I also removed replaced tires on 2 more cars since.

And a new OEM mudflap for the left rear using the Hart ratchet. Orange cord was battery charger to top that off too;

20220504_154805.jpg

Mostly just trained new people on how to use the alignment machine. I’m kind of like the tech that trains everyone because I have the most patience lol. Also drained and refilled and resealed the rear differential on a 1996 Chevy truck. They give the old stuff to me unless it’s something stupid like a huge truck or something I just won’t work on. Then I got to test drive it. And while I was gone coworker snapped my extension lol. This is one time where I would of used a chrome extension strictly because it’s not as soft as impact ones. He broke it with a 3/8 breaker bar trying to get lug nuts off a Jeep that the customer didn’t have the key for anymore and they had to be thin wall so he was using my stuff because for some reason he put it in my bay. I’m not mad but next time when it starts to flex or twist…STOP. Lol.
07AE81C0-E38C-4D34-A21A-4EA81F39477E.jpeg

@AutoMechanic - when are you going to stop loaning out your tools?

You can’t afford to equip everyone that fails to return yours, or breaks them like this.
I agree. I do need to stop. The problem is people just grabbing stuff without me knowing and I can’t keep locking and unlocking the box as that would be too time consuming. I need to figure out something. Maybe when I leave my general area and am going to be gone I should lock it. I lock it at night but that’s it. Maybe I need to get mean with them a few times for them to realize they can’t use my stuff all the time. Especially not basic stuff that they should have. This is an everyday occurrence of someone needing something. Maybe I need to incorporate the borrow it three times you need your own type of rule. He did say he would replace it if they won’t replace it at the store but that’s not the point.

Mostly just trained new people on how to use the alignment machine. I’m kind of like the tech that trains everyone because I have the most patience lol. Also drained and refilled and resealed the rear differential on a 1996 Chevy truck. They give the old stuff to me unless it’s something stupid like a huge truck or something I just won’t work on. Then I got to test drive it. And while I was gone coworker snapped my extension lol. This is one time where I would of used a chrome extension strictly because it’s not as soft as impact ones. He broke it with a 3/8 breaker bar trying to get lug nuts off a Jeep that the customer didn’t have the key for anymore and they had to be thin wall so he was using my stuff because for some reason he put it in my bay. I’m not mad but next time when it starts to flex or twist…STOP.

I consider using 3/8" drive on lug nuts a bad habit. I try to use 1/2" drive when fasteners are over 10mm & most wheel studs are 12mm & larger.

Mostly just trained new people on how to use the alignment machine. I’m kind of like the tech that trains everyone because I have the most patience lol. Also drained and refilled and resealed the rear differential on a 1996 Chevy truck. They give the old stuff to me unless it’s something stupid like a huge truck or something I just won’t work on. Then I got to test drive it. And while I was gone coworker snapped my extension lol. This is one time where I would of used a chrome extension strictly because it’s not as soft as impact ones. He broke it with a 3/8 breaker bar trying to get lug nuts off a Jeep that the customer didn’t have the key for anymore and they had to be thin wall so he was using my stuff because for some reason he put it in my bay. I’m not mad but next time when it starts to flex or twist…STOP. Lol. View attachment 100706
Last week while doing a wheel swap on a Mini Cooper, the aftermarket wheels would not accept an impact socket, the walls were too thick. I used a chrome 1/2" socket with a Johnson bar to break them free first and then used the impact wrench.

I agree. I do need to stop. The problem is people just grabbing stuff without me knowing and I can’t keep locking and unlocking the box as that would be too time consuming. I need to figure out something. Maybe when I leave my general area and am going to be gone I should lock it. I lock it at night but that’s it. Maybe I need to get mean with them a few times for them to realize they can’t use my stuff all the time. Especially not basic stuff that they should have. This is an everyday occurrence of someone needing something. Maybe I need to incorporate the borrow it three times you need your own type of rule. He did say he would replace it if they won’t replace it at the store but that’s not the point.
Unfortunately you've gotta be an ***hole. People will walk all over you if you let them

Back