What are you working on today?

I mean this with prejudice
🪛 Whoever thought drum in rotor hat parking brakes were a good idea
PXL_20220510_203124578.jpg

Crusty and original (yet was working fine)
PXL_20220510_214353193.jpg

Considering I'm a do nothing Gen Z, and I've never worked on drum brakes before, that looks reasonable
PXL_20220510_223917161.jpg

You can't reuse the original adjusters, otherwise the shoes can't adjust small enough to clear the rotor
I had to mix the new parts kit and some of the original stuff, because the springs weren't clocked correctly
Centric Shoes, Raybestos hardware, and Element3 rotors 🤷‍♂️
Oh, and Element3 pads, so far I'm not impressed
PXL_20220510_233225737.jpg

They give you enough hardware for 2 cars, but it's all the same exact piece

My original Toyota hardware was better quality and in good shape, so I reused

The backing plate stamping wasn't exactly precise, and or the paint was too thick, I had to take a Roloc bristle disc to the pads ears to get them fitting into the caliper bracket and sliding smoothly

PXL_20220511_000701165.jpg

Then some light brake grease on hardware, Toyota pink rubber grease and fresh boots on the slide pins

Ill fitting and confusing aftermarket parts made this all far more than it needed to be, and it's still not drivable

Come on wheel bearing 🙄

I'll continue to motor on in Project xB 🚗

Last edited:
Monday
2001 Ford F150 V6
Intake runner solenoid rod bushings, upper intake gaskets, oil change

Tuesday
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
All the driveshaft bolts were loose. Replaced the bolts, loc tite and install new bolts. Had to tap one of the bolt holes on the pinion.

Moving. Recently postponed building a new home but gave it a green light on Monday. Sold our home By pocket listing for reasons I can’t discuss. Downsizing to 3.2 acres, smaller parcel but the new home will have a walkout basement. Coming out far ahead even with the increase in materials and labor.

Replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch on my 1999 Alero. Used Standard Motor Products aftermarket part. Unsure if this is the permanent fix for the recall where they used a key insert.

Moving. Recently postponed building a new home but gave it a green light on Monday. Sold our home By pocket listing for reasons I can’t discuss. Downsizing to 3.2 acres, smaller parcel but the new home will have a walkout basement. Coming out far ahead even with the increase in materials and labor.
Yeah I like the no sign or private listing approach.
Congratulations!!!

2004 Chevy Tahoe.....A/C Compressor, Dryer, Orifice tube, TXV Valve, Rear Evaporator & Flush the system.
2014 Ford Edge.....Replaced Throttle Body for P0222, P2011, P2135.

Got back on the TH350 build.....
Took all 3 TH350 cores to make one good one. But at least ended up with late Rollerized geartrian & Pump Stator.
*Machined the Direct Clutch Piston for an extra Friction & Steel giving 5 friction instead of 4.
*Blocking the 3rd Accumulator.
*Dual Feed the direct clutches internally.
*TransGo SK-350 shift kit.
*High Pressure Sealing Rings.
*ALL Bushings are being replaced & The Direct Drum is getting a wide upgraded bushing.
*4L60E Center Support.
*4L60E Tubulator Lo/Reverse Steels.
*Flat Honed the Case.

0MfO1I7.jpg

Qk484j9.jpg

xYeFqii.jpg

p661CXf.jpg

FVBzJjG.jpg

That's rocket science right there to us mortals. Much respect.

It's not, TH350's are very simple units. The issue lies in their durability which probably sounds strange....This unit will run/pull with literal pounds of metal circulating through it, And most builders get away with simply throwing Seals & Frictions at them along with cleaning all the metal out, It'll last a year or two 'til it slowly grinds itself to death again.

Call any trans parts supplier to inquire about Hard Parts & they'll laugh at you, Meaning I can't just go out & buy the parts I need....Got to tear down cores 'til you find enough good stuff.

Front pads and rotors, oil change and tire rotation on a 12 F150.

Demo on bathroom number two. Found water had been getting behind the tile on one of the shower walls and the water shut off(coming off a copper line)at the toilet doesn’t shut the water off. Time to call for some professional help.

Paint. Lots of paint. Doing a friend a favor. I’ll put up with Behr or Glidden but I never ever want to use Valspar again.

And a quick and dirty pad slap on a Explorer - old pads were Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metallic. New is a rebox of Bosch QuietCast semi-met.

E812CFA7-2D0B-433A-B008-13606A849D08.jpeg

9356E3B3-12C3-43C9-9B01-EA7EE4889A86.jpeg

Paint. Lots of paint. Doing a friend a favor. I’ll put up with Behr or Glidden but I never ever want to use Valspar again.

And a quick and dirty pad slap on a Explorer - old pads were Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metallic. New is a rebox of Bosch QuietCast semi-met.

View attachment 99619
View attachment 99620
Hey, I received your filters so tomorrow or Saturday I’ll cut them.

Did brakes on 2020 Ford Ecosport today. Kinda easy since I have scan tool to release e brake

2004 Chevy Tahoe.....A/C Compressor, Dryer, Orifice tube, TXV Valve, Rear Evaporator & Flush the system.
2014 Ford Edge.....Replaced Throttle Body for P0222, P2011, P2135.

Got back on the TH350 build.....
Took all 3 TH350 cores to make one good one. But at least ended up with late Rollerized geartrian & Pump Stator.
*Machined the Direct Clutch Piston for an extra Friction & Steel giving 5 friction instead of 4.
*Blocking the 3rd Accumulator.
*Dual Feed the direct clutches internally.
*TransGo SK-350 shift kit.
*High Pressure Sealing Rings.
*ALL Bushings are being replaced & The Direct Drum is getting a wide upgraded bushing.
*4L60E Center Support.
*4L60E Tubulator Lo/Reverse Steels.
*Flat Honed the Case.

0MfO1I7.jpg

Qk484j9.jpg

xYeFqii.jpg

p661CXf.jpg

FVBzJjG.jpg
I want pics of the machining and the machine tools :D

Wednesday
2013 Ram 1500
Turned front rotors, replaced front pads, changed oil

2003 GMC Sierra 1500
Turned front rotors, replaced front pads, replaced rear rotors, pads and calipers

Today
1973 Chevrolet Camaro
Gas leak when filled up
O rings that's seals the sending unit to the tank had rolled and torn. I'll have a new one tomorrow. Went ahead and changed the oil.

View attachment 99619
View attachment 99620
Agree. The big box stores in general sell watered down stuff. It’s either top level behr or just go to sherwin williams - I’ve been told it’s more material for the money there, but usually forget and just head to HD so I’ve not actually price shopped it.

I've decided that I'm going to start contributing to this thread, if for no other reason than to share with those curious the daily grind of an Indy mechanic. I won't be going super in depth nor will there be pictures, as much as I'd like to share. I just don't have the time. Here goes:

Today, 5/12 -

Repaired a theft recovery E450 cube van. Not the worlds smartest thieves... all they managed to do was bugger the door cylinder, pop off the black "trim" ring around the ignition cylinder, and after a little poking around I found 5 relays missing from the underhood junction block.... annoying little jerks. Quick call to OR for some generic 4-pin, 40A relays and I was in business.

'99 Toyota Tacoma, super base 2.4, 2wd, reg. cab. 220k but in remarkably solid condition given where I'm located (Twin Cities). Customer pulled it out of "storage" and was complaining of an overheat. Immediately found the water pump/alternator belt missing along with a seized alternator. 3 belts, a Denso reman alternator, and a fresh Moog outer tie rod end and it was back, strong as ever. Even the AC blew ice cold, but boy is that a slow truck when it's engaged!

'18ish Ram 1500 Rebel. Both front outer CV boots destroyed, and both outer joints in shambles. Truck has a little over 40k on it and the owner BABIES it, so no idea how they failed so quickly. Fairly easy project, and it got a fresh D&F with Amsoil 75w90 in the front diff to round things out.

'05ish Jetta 2.5 Auto - This one was fun, it needed the oil filter housing/cooler/PCV assembly that's tucked under the intake. Not terribly complicated, but the German factor always comes into play.

Throw in a couple AC recharges, a diag or two, and a feast of White Castle for lunch and I'd say it was a solid day!

Agree. The big box stores in general sell watered down stuff. It’s either top level behr or just go to sherwin williams - I’ve been told it’s more material for the money there, but usually forget and just head to HD so I’ve not actually price shopped it.
Give me Behr any day of the week over Valspar. My preference is Ben Moore - after applying a few gallons of Regal Select as well a few quarts of Aura and Advance, I’m sold. Budget for this project was a limiting factor. Paying $50+ for a gallon of Behr is insanity - Ben Moore’s Regal Select and Aura lines aren’t much more than Marquee or Dynasty.

SW owns Valspar, who oddly enough owned House of Kolor.

Last edited:
I decided to take it easy today, so not much to report:

Belt, front pads and rotors, drive belt, and a fuel pump with filter on an Olds Alero. Gravy work, the entire ticket took about an hour and a half from start to finish.

Water pump on a 5-cylinder Colorado. Again, gravy. It got a fresh drive belt and a coolant flush as well.

Front calipers, pads, and rotors along with a water pump and belt on a 4.0 WJ Jeep. Apparently today was all about gravy work. I even knocked off an hour early!

Back