What are you working on today?

Saturday turned out to be a fun day. Not.

I went to the junkyard and found a brand new! differential cover for my Jeep along with the mirror and tail light I need for it. So I get home, swap the mirror and tail light on. With all the recent work I had done to it, it's roadworthy!

Hop in and go to turn out of my driveway and it won't turn. Binding like it's stuck in 4 wheel drive. So I go back and forth a handful of times while manhandling the lever and it's still stuck in 4hi. Get underneath, disconnect the linkage and manually actuate the transfer case. Kinda weird because the transfer case was already in 2hi.

Get back in the Jeep and same thing. Figured at that point it was because it had so much tension on it that the shift fork inside was jammed. So I decide the best thing to do is jack the front end up and let off some of the tension thinking maybe then it will shift into 2hi!

Turns out it wasn't stuck in 4hi but instead the differential locker (Lokka brand) had sheared the pins and they had jammed the locker to engaged. So there was NO front differential action.

Scrambled around and found a friend who was willing to sell his. Pulled the brakes, axle shafts, wheel bearings and carrier out of mine. Flew up to my friend's house and pulled apart his spare axle. Took the ring gear off of both of them, then put that locker in my carrier. Flew home once it was together and threw the carrier back in my jeep ... reassemble front axle. Fill with gear oil.

We're going on a big offroad trip next weekend out of state. Great time for stuff to break! Could be worse though. I could have seen the problem the day before! Been driving the jeep around the last few days. Drives better than it has in quite a while due to the steering and suspension upgrades.

I also don't get any CO poisoning now that the exhaust exits outside of the cabin

Last edited:
II installed new Bilstien shocks in my Suburban this past weekend. The shock/strut assembly comes out of the truck in minutes. I compressed the spring and then realized I had nothing to reach in and get the nut that retains the spring. Trip the store for a Lisle shock tool, back home, swapped the spring on to the new shock and ten minutes back in to the truck.
Sunday I gear up to do the other side. Remove the shock, compress the spring and begin backing the nut off with the shock tool. The end of the shaft breaks off in the tool. Now I'm dead in the water. I attempt to chisel the nut but was unsuccessful. I ran to HF and bought a rotary bit set. Returned home, chucked in a bit and ground away the two sides of the nut in about ten minutes.
Reassembled the new shock and ten minutes back in. At least now my truck feels like a magic carpet ride again.

Worked on dads truck got the muffler on. Tomorrow I will do the water shut off valves for the heat the others seized up this year like they do every year and it’s $26 a peice for the valves.
47AFA348-8C9F-4004-8322-DDCC12FB1B0F.jpeg
9C63A339-5568-4BA6-AEC4-60272C550F93.jpeg
54BF4BCE-F756-40FB-8612-E778226E9792.jpeg

Re-laminate gauge panel and install dash coverlay, '74 BMW 2002

The original finish was chipped and faded and, based on others' experience, I tried a laminate decal. I am less than impressed. the material look and quality is fine, installation was typical decal but the measurements are off. The overall size is OK, but the hole spacing is off by a few mm. I'm actually surprised as this should not be that hard to get right, or even closer. I will finish trimming the overhang w/ a scalpel. Honestly, most would probably never notice but this will drive me nuts...

On to the coverlay next.

IMG_5881[18233].jpg

IMG_5883[18234].jpg

Said I was going to be closed this week, but somehow I ended up shimming a starter on an 83 C10 and replacing the left front spindle. I did however finally get around to changing the oil and rotating the tires on my impala. Also was able to put a dent in the cleaning around the apartment.

Yesterday, I installed new oil cooler lines on my 98 Chevy K1500. It was a pain in the ass and I made a mess but I finally got it done. I drained the oil and removed the filter prior to doing the job since it was time for an oil change.

I also ordered a 20mm crowfoot flare nut wrench for the connections at the radiator since there is no room to get to them plus I didn't have any 20mm wrenches. It made the job a lot easier.

The lines that were on there were warranty replacements from the dealer because the originals started leaking while still under warranty. The replacements have been leaking for years but not dripping so I just left them alone. I used Dorman replacements this time with lifetime warranties so when they start leaking, at least the new ones will be free.

Yesterday, I installed new oil cooler lines on my 98 Chevy K1500. It was a pain in the ass and I made a mess but I finally got it done. I drained the oil and removed the filter prior to doing the job since it was time for an oil change.

I also ordered a 20mm crowfoot flare nut wrench for the connections at the radiator since there is no room to get to them plus I didn't have any 20mm wrenches. It made the job a lot easier.

The lines that were on there were warranty replacements from the dealer because the originals started leaking while still under warranty. The replacements have been leaking for years but not dripping so I just left them alone. I used Dorman replacements this time with lifetime warranties so when they start leaking, at least the new ones will be free.
Yep the 20mm is a GM thing. You will need the crows foot or a wrench for the fuel filter lines too on most of the GM stuff.

...and the Palco Coverlay. Before I lay the soft dumbell weights on towels on top (and have to return to the house before Mrs,'s core fusion session tonight :D ).

These covers have gotten much better since they first came out, still fiddley and require some minor trimming and adjustment, but overall really nice for a driver.

IMG_5884[18239].jpg

Working on getting a great deal on Napa oil with the code NAPAREWARDS. Must have a Napa account. New accounts get a $5 off reward so the total cost is unbelievable.

Zoom schooling two grandchilden today. So far this year I have flunked a 2nd grade math test as well as a kindergarden reading test. New math and new methods, wonder if they really work!

Back