What are you working on today?

Installed.
IMG_20201217_194620152.jpg
IMG_20201217_194601173.jpg
IMG_20201217_194332583.jpg

Helped the neighbor modify his bumper earlier and he had to borrow some tools since he doesn’t have a lot of metric being a diesel mechanic.

Loading wet liners in a Detroit 353T.:)

Looks good 👍.

I haven’t assembled a 3-53 before. Do they not use shims under the liners like the 92 series? That is what I’m most familiar with. As soon as parts start coming in for the 8V92 I’m doing I’ll post assembly photos.

Looks good 👍.

I haven’t assembled a 3-53 before. Do they not use shims under the liners like the 92 series? That is what I’m most familiar with. As soon as parts start coming in for the 8V92 I’m doing I’ll post assembly photos.
No, no shims required.:)

Rebuilding an original console from our '74 BMW. The console is made of a thick fiberboard, almost like a denser Masonite. Over the years and owners, the holes in the center section were hogged out, more were drilled and those hogged out. I drilled out the holes, filled them w/ ~1/4" plugs and Gorilla Glue, then cut and sanded them roughly flush. I will redrill them when I reassemble the console. I wasn't concerned about appearance as the sides aren't visible. Also installed a set of NOS 70's marine gauges that are extremely close in appearance to the BMW gauges.

First Christmas without Dad so I snuck away from the family to be alone a bit and made progress on this.

IMG_5726.jpg

Rebuilding an original console from our '74 BMW. The console is made of a thick fiberboard, almost like a denser Masonite. Over the years and owners, the holes in the center section were hogged out, more were drilled and those hogged out. I drilled out the holes, filled them w/ ~1/4" plugs and Gorilla Glue, then cut and sanded them roughly flush. I will redrill them when I reassemble the console. I wasn't concerned about appearance as the sides aren't visible. Also installed a set of NOS 70's marine gauges that are extremely close in appearance to the BMW gauges.

First Christmas without Dad so I snuck away from the family to be alone a bit and made progress on this.

View attachment 38138
Feliz Navidad sir. Stay safe

Back