What are you working on today?

Hey, AutoMechanic, you young pup, what're you laughing about, huh?

Though it's a balmy -5 C (23 F) here today, there was no way I was pulling the wheels off to do a proper brake bleed! Getting soft in my old age. ;)
LOL. It’s cold as heck here today and has been pouring rain. I was part and tool shopping all day. Had to get replacement bolts to do that mud flap.

100K service on the 2003 Odyssey I inherited from my Dad. Timing belt, valve lash adjustment, new valve cover gaskets, accessory belts, EGR passage cleaning, a few small coolant hoses, and a belt tensioner. This is actually the third timing belt I have put in this van. They have all aged out and were replaced for peace of mind. The non-VCM J35 is still a great engine.

unnamed.jpg

100K service on the 2003 Odyssey I inherited from my Dad. Timing belt, valve lash adjustment, new valve cover gaskets, accessory belts, EGR passage cleaning, a few small coolant hoses, and a belt tensioner. This is actually the third timing belt I have put in this van. They have all aged out and were replaced for peace of mind. The non-VCM J35 is still a great engine.

View attachment 38943
Are you at 300K miles, or do you change them out earlier?

Regardless, the engine looks great!

Are you at 300K miles, or do you change them out earlier?

Regardless, the engine looks great!
This van only has 100,233 miles on it as of today. Honda calls out 105k miles or 7 year intervals for the belt. It’s an interference engine, and I don’t take chances with those. The last time the van saw any real use was in 2013 when my parents took a road trip from San Diego to Galveston, TX. Now I drive it several days a week because my Yukon is exhibiting shift flares and will be going in for a transmission soon.

It has only seen synthetic oil. The rear bank is only darker because the PCV pulls from the rear valve cover.

Greased rear sway bar bushings on my son's Focus. Has a large performance rsb and it was so noisy...sorted with some silicone grease on the poly bushings.
FB_IMG_1609557538214.jpg

Last edited:
This van only has 100,233 miles on it as of today. Honda calls out 105k miles or 7 year intervals for the belt. It’s an interference engine, and I don’t take chances with those. The last time the van saw any real use was in 2013 when my parents took a road trip from San Diego to Galveston, TX. Now I drive it several days a week because my Yukon is exhibiting shift flares and will be going in for a transmission soon.

It has only seen synthetic oil. The rear bank is only darker because the PCV pulls from the rear valve cover.
Good plan, a fellow at one of the bigger wreckers here told me that almost all of the used Honda engines he sells are to replace engines destroyed by TB failures. They're good engines otherwise.

In a few minutes will fill the bird feeders and fill the wood box in the shed. Took Christmas decs down yesterday and all vehicle maint was done during the last warm weekend end of Oct. No big projects for awhile unless something hits the fan.

Did my 30,000 mile transmission service. Gets about 5 quarts out from the cooler line; every other change I drop the pan instead and replace the filter. Used up the last of the Supertech Mercon V in my stash. 265,000 miles on the original 5R44E. Transmission shifts great with no slipping but I still wish I had bought a standard.

I have a BG flush machine but prefer to use the transmission’s own pump, especially when the lines are this easy to get to.
C2F1D3F4-90B7-4978-81DC-7EF468026BEA.jpeg

Working on my youngest sons GF car, a 2006 Beetle. She spun out on the highway 2 weeks ago and hit the guardrail soft enough to only destroy the right headlight cover...the bulb still worked fine but was collecting snow.

We ordered a new DEPO aftermarket headlight assembly and installed it today, my son and myself. What a PITA because there was damage to the plastic basket that holds the headlight in place, so we had to make some design changes to get it to fit and lock into place. Is it perfect? nope, is it able to be aimed? not a chance, does it light up and look good? yes.

Today I changed the sparkplugs on my 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with 95,600 miles. I used Genuine Toyota Parts. The old plugs were the originals.

To change the plugs first remove the engine cover with a 10mm socket and removing two retaining clips. All harware removed is 10mm

8C9F3216-E16F-4500-85CC-A83042450C3E.jpeg

Then disconnect the negative battery terminal
1A42E789-338F-4DBE-BF04-440996C4808A.jpeg

I numbered the four coils with a white Sharpie paint marker.

Here are the plugs and the 5/8” plug socket with 10” wobble extension. With this tool no way you can loose the socket inside the cylinder and have a disaster. Also it grips the plug with a strong magnet.

A74ADC85-BE68-4985-9DBB-9229ADCD049C.jpeg

DCACB90F-1F05-49FE-A4E3-37A53DBBBDEA.jpeg

Lift the tab with a hook and unplug the wiring connector from the four coils. They unplug quite easily.

CDA50FF9-018B-4723-B4C7-D734E4224D39.jpeg

DA1596A5-C63D-49EF-97A6-5A5A38861706.jpeg

Remove the 10mm bolts that attach the coils to the cylinder head then remove the coils and set aside. The first two came out easily but #3 and #4 coils were quite difficult to remove. I sprayed those two with silicone lubricant to loosen the rubber boots, and after a few minutes both came out easily.
0075A12F-70E7-450E-82C9-063397F9DDF3.jpeg

The plugs themselves came out quite easily and it was easy to install the four new plugs.
7AD8C442-C63E-479E-BEF5-3E754D19D4A6.jpeg

After that it was easy to reattach the coils. I was glad I had numbered them. They were super easy to put on the new plugs and reinstall the mounting bolts. Then I reattached the negative battery terminal.

With the engine cover off the last time when I had changed the PCV valve a week ago I noticed a bit of greasy dirt around the base of the oil filler tube. Today I replaced the filler cap gasket too with the Toyota part. I had to put it in a vice and use two picks to slowly worm out the old oil filler gasket away from the filler cap. The new one went in easily.
9497B228-C3B0-40A6-8346-8999E104FB29.jpeg

It was overall an easy job. I took it for a 20 mile test drive.

Attachments

• EF85ED3D-3C93-446B-AF89-B5B21609215A.jpeg
    EF85ED3D-3C93-446B-AF89-B5B21609215A.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 6
Today I changed the sparkplugs on my 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with 95,600 miles. I used Genuine Toyota Parts. The old plugs were the originals.

To change the plugs first remove the engine cover with a 10mm socket and removing two retaining clips. All harware removed is 10mm

View attachment 39717

Then disconnect the negative battery terminal
View attachment 39719
I numbered the four coils with a white Sharpie paint marker.

Here are the plugs and the 5/8” plug socket with 10” wobble extension. With this tool no way you can loose the socket inside the cylinder and have a disaster. Also it grips the plug with a strong magnet.

View attachment 39727

View attachment 39725

Lift the tab with a hook and unplug the wiring connector from the four coils. They unplug quite easily.

View attachment 39720
View attachment 39721
Remove the 10mm bolts that attach the coils to the cylinder head then remove the coils and set aside. The first two came out easily but #3 and #4 coils were quite difficult to remove. I sprayed those two with silicone lubricant to loosen the rubber boots, and after a few minutes both came out easily.
View attachment 39733
The plugs themselves came out quite easily and it was easy to install the four new plugs.
View attachment 39734

After that it was easy to reattach the coils. I was glad I had numbered them. They were super easy to put on the new plugs and reinstall the mounting bolts. Then I reattached the negative battery terminal.

With the engine cover off the last time when I had changed the PCV valve a week ago I noticed a bit of greasy dirt around the base of the oil filler tube. Today I replaced the filler cap gasket too with the Toyota part. I had to put it in a vice and use two picks to slowly worm out the old oil filler gasket away from the filler cap. The new one went in easily.
View attachment 39732
It was overall an easy job. I took it for a 20 mile test drive.
Definitely one of the easiest engines to change the plugs in done several of them. I really need to get me a magnetic spark plug socket set mine the boots always come out with them lol.

Back