What are you working on today?

1978 Ford F100 300 inline six
Got the timing set, got it running halfway decent, but the carburetor needs to be rebuilt. I took it off and will be taking it to the carburetor refurbisher Thursday morning when I pick up a load of finished ones for my boss.

1986 Toyota 4runner
Now it needs a right front brake caliper and hose, so it's getting new front calipers and hoses tomorrow

1992 GMC Sierra 1500
Replaced rear wheel cylinders, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes, changed oil

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
Replaced starter

Assessing the damage.. Not too bad probably just glue and spray foam it. It'll have to dry out for a week. Got the last piece of the bed base out. Think I'll go ahead and cut out the drivers side next. Going to order LEDs so just work on the floor next.
IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2420.jpeg

Sick for a week and a half with Covid but almost fully recovered. Working on the Kubota D722, made a water pump gasket, they dont sell them individually. Made a fuel solenoid block off plate. Torqued the flywheel. Next up is cutting and re-welding the engine side bar mounts, once I figure out how to weld.

View attachment 202261
What a cool little motor. I’m enjoying these.

Installed a new oil cooler and coolant hose in my sister-in-law Town and Country van. Pentastar with a Dorman cooler in it a couple years back. The previous installer used the included seals and they started leaking again.

My brother got another oil cooler and I swapped it in after checking the seals on both: new one has thick o ring seals, the Dorman has flattened seals. Likely still serviceable with the FelPro set I forgot 300 miles away, so I’ll keep it on hand.

Changed her brakes as the set on the van was pretty worn. Van rides and drives fine, no shuddering when stopping. And more importantly, no more oil leaking.

Brother asked me to help swap his Wrangler’s shocks. I don’t have my tools I would need, and attempting removal of crusted up fasteners just won’t work with 3/8 drive tools I had with me.

Bought some at his local Harbor Freight and got the rears off and new set in much faster than fiddling with tools not suited to heavy suspension work. I got a set of 1/2” sockets, extensions, a compact 1/2” impact with batteries, and some miscellaneous.

Completing the much more involved fronts this morning. 🫣

changed the battery in the GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T...calls for a non AGM Group 47 battery and my choices for what I wanted (good warranty and good quality and reliability) led me to a choice between the Costco Interstate and a Menards AC Delco...

both choices were superior to the OEM battery that went 6 years almost to the day and the JCI marked Everstart Maxx battery I replaced that with went almost 5 years before giving me some warnings that it was failing (failing the load test)...current Walmart prices for another Everstart Maxx were much higher than Costco ro Menards...

Bill

I was asked to copy this oar lock (center). They specifically said the center swivel didn't need the squared protrusion. Not sure why, but easier for me.
20240207_125020.jpg

Apparently these were built by a guy in ID or MT (or something), but no longer.

Automotive content: these small side spacers (finger) are caliper slide pins (upper photo) parted to length in the lathe. I tend to hoarde any round stock with thru-holes for random bushings and spacers.
20240207_100153.jpg
20240207_100508.jpg

2016 Hyundai Sonata
Previous salvage vehicle that someone repaired for resale, but didn't replace any of the under car shields or inner fender liners. I replaced those missing items and changed the oil

1986 Toyota 4runner
Replaced front brake calipers and hoses

1989 Toyota pickup
Found the rattle that sounded like a broken catalytic converter shield. The O2 sensor was loose. Tightened it up and no more rattle

Took off a little early to go ahead and pick up those refurbished carburetors and drop off the one off the 78 F100.

My Dad’s Volvo V70:

Level zero maintenance update:

OLF Mobil 1 0W40, spark plugs, IAC and throttle body cleaned, cabin and engine air filter coolant and radiator hoses and clamps replaced. Flushed coolant twice. Wire loom replaced. AT fluid cooler line flush, 16 quarts of 3309. Magnetic AT drain plug. PS fluid drained and filled twice, CHF 202, K&J Neodymium magnets added to PS fluid reservior. Fuel filter. Engine torque bushings and mounts. Wiper blades. Injectors sent to Hurst Injector Service in Fitchburg MA. Interior detailed.

To do:
IPD anti-sway bars and HD links, IPD HD skid pan. Replace fuel filter and charcoal canister supports with refurbished supports. The supports will be cleaned, blasted, zinc primed and powder coated. AT fluid cooler, thermostat, remote filter mount.

IMG_5877.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5854.jpeg

IMG_5853.jpeg

IMG_5850.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

Summary video of all the work in the last ~week on my Passat.

Digging more dirt. Making shallow trenches now to feed the drain tile I put in around the cement drive and drain the area around the shed.

It took me 25 years to see the mistakes I made aggravating the drainage. Along with the original changes when they made the lots and roads and built houses. None of which I can do much about. The drain tile I put on the property line and will be adding too does address the issue of the neighbors and the road water exiting though my yard. It really eroding the bank as it drained into the pond. But did so so slow it was hard to see.

Sick for a week and a half with Covid but almost fully recovered. Working on the Kubota D722, made a water pump gasket, they dont sell them individually. Made a fuel solenoid block off plate. Torqued the flywheel. Next up is cutting and re-welding the engine side bar mounts, once I figure out how to weld.

View attachment 202261
What Fram # is that tough guard? Thank You sir.

Two oil changes and tires rotations, 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD and 2009 Ford F-150. Went home after lunch. Off tomorrow.

2014 C1500 4.3L/6L80E 216,000 miles, Recent engine & transmission replacement.

Throttle Actuator Performance DTC's, The throttle blade/actuator mechanism was binding @ about 25% throttle. New GM throttle body fixed this concern.

2nd complaint was the (electric) steering would randomly get stiff, Stabilitrak off warning would display, ABS lamp would illuminate, And the door locks would cycle. Drove it 30 or so miles before it did it to me over a pretty rough railroad crossing, Set ECM/TCM lost communication DTC's in the ABS, Body, & TMPS Modules.

Found the starter solenoid heat shield not secured, Upon a big enough dip/bump...The heat shield would contact the starter/solenoid hot post.
Whomever installed the engine also double stacked a nut to secure the battery cable of the wrong thread pitch that buggered up the end of the stud a little.

3rd complaint, Rough idle & intermittent vibration while driving......Has aftermarket chinesium engine mounts. The intermittent vibration is the AFM kicking in.
Using HP-Tuners I disabled the AFM, Disabled TCC apply in 1st-4th, Set all TCC slip tables to Zero, And increased warm base idle speed from 525rpm to 750rpm.
Corrected 95% of the complaint, New GM mounts would make it 100% but the customer didn't want to drop another Grand.

FJH1MCi.jpg

sjOy3bf.jpg

f0TaFfg.jpg

ZyYR1FN.jpg

Did a tire rotation on the CRV last week.

Yesterday, had the BIL's Toyota SUV engine oil (unknown brand, 5500 miles OCI, black color) changed with Mag1 Fully Synthetic European Formula A3/B4 5W-40 and genuine Toyota oil filter. For some reason, after the oil change, I noticed the "zhing" sound made as the turbo spools up when i press the accelerator pedal, is now gone. Today I did a tire rotation on the same vehicle (good exercise).

TG7317, I like 'em. This one will be a short run sacrifice, but have more on the shelf.
I was curious if a TG7317 would fit my Kubota with the D1105. I previously had a XG3593A and currently a TG9688 on it. The stock Kubota filters are fine, but in my application the can on the Kubota filter actually makes contact with the radiator hose.

I was curious if a TG7317 would fit my Kubota with the D1105. I previously had a XG3593A and currently a TG9688 on it. The stock Kubota filters are fine, but in my application the can on the Kubota filter actually makes contact with the radiator hose.
So a 3593A is an older Subie app, right? If so there's a host of M20x1.5 filters that should fit, although some are physically quite small like the 51365 and 57712. I think also a 6607? (memory could be hazy here) which is a kinda common motorcycle/powersports app.

Back