What are you working on today?

IMG_5165.jpeg
IMG_5162.jpeg
IMG_5156.jpeg
IMG_5152.jpeg
Working the chicago boat show

Going to change oil on the SantaFe. A little bit early but since cold temps are about to hit I will change out the 10-30 to a 5-30.

It was 60° briefly today, so a 2017 Optima (92k) pulled up for emergency maintenance
It's the epitome of neglect/abuse, due to a stretched hood cable, it was driven for two weeks with the oil pressure light on 🥺
I can think of 5 distinct occasions in the past 6 months that I've had to add 4-5qts of oil to get to the full mark
So a heavy burning 2.4 Theta II, what else is new 🤷‍♂️
  • OCI (Total 5w40/OE Filter)
  • Oil flush (Motor Medic)
  • Spark plugs (NGK Iridium IX)
  • Air filter (Wix Pro-Tec)
  • Polish and grease battery terminals with Noalox
  • R&R throttle body for cleaning
  • PCV valve (Beck/Arnley)
  • Misc fluid top off
I hope it survives the payments, or until the class action lawsuit pending covers this particular engine
I'm verifying it has the KSDS update, so that hopeful it throws a P1326 before it seizes
5 minutes of the Motor Medic, I doubt it helped much, but for $5 I can say I tried something 🤷‍♂️
1000009118.jpg

Pause for rain
1000009121.jpg

Remove factory crush washer
1000009124.jpg

The original PCV rattled, but just barely
We'll see if the B/A part holds up
1000009126.jpg

There was a large chunk obstructing the valve barb, but the rubber hose was clear
1000009127.jpg

5.5qts of Total 5w40 gets it exactly to the full mark, hopefully I'll be able to ascertain oil consumption in a weeks or miles per qt measurement
He was educated on dipstick reading, using Trip B for monitoring, and I sent him away with 5qts of something to get by until warmer weather
Is it the best oil for a healthy GDI engine?
Probably not
Is it LSPI safe?
Doubt it

It's better than whatever it's been getting 👀
1000009128.jpg

92k on factory plugs
Crusty was an understatement, it wasn't worth the OE Double Iridiums
Iridium IX will due, this was a budget job
1000009131.jpg

1000009142.jpg

Intake POV, the TB was fairly dirty
1000009137.jpg

Nasty and not enough was the oil situation
1000009143.jpg

When it showed up

When it left

I think it sounds better, and it survived my mild Italian tuneup test drive 🤌
It's on borrowed time, but it's some palliative care to keep it going, and possibly presentable should an engine warranty be available
I kept to a budget, this was $100 and 3 hours of my Saturday
We'll see how long it lasts 🙄

Hyundai's website gives you all the info on recalls and service campaign completion
Kias website does not
Does anyone on the forum have a source or connection that can run a VIN, I'm very curious if it's CPO or if it's had an engine, or if the KSDS update has been performed?
I would very much appreciate it if possible 🙏

Last edited:
Fed cows…chopped ice multiple times….fixed a space heater. Probably do it all over tomorrow and the next few days. I believe our high is just a little over 0 tomorrow with wind chills around -20.

Attachments

• 5903741C-8066-488A-9CAF-C00AA47B1B62.jpeg
    5903741C-8066-488A-9CAF-C00AA47B1B62.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 12
  • E60502C6-7860-43DE-BB33-40B2951E9A8D.jpeg
    E60502C6-7860-43DE-BB33-40B2951E9A8D.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 146334A6-DEE8-4404-9E83-38FD00930605.jpeg
    146334A6-DEE8-4404-9E83-38FD00930605.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 13
It's -14C today, but my youngest son's 2012 Silverado needs the oil changed. I shovelled the driveway, moved my car out to the drive and put his inside the garage. Just fit! Valvoline 5W30 Synthetic in and Fram TG 10060 installed. Also put in new Fram air filter. Now my wife gets her turn to get the oil stains out of my clothes and toque 😁

No real issues, the dripping slush from the underside of truck was not so fun, but hard to avoid in Winter.

Kubota BX2350 getting a new heart transplant, 300 mile round trip. Its a D722 instead of a D902 but should work just fine.

View attachment 196848

Warmed up the garage today and and the BX2350 engine is out. The replacement engine (left in photo background) has some differences and need to reconcile them.

1705350143486.jpg

2009 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 V8
Replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, air filter, fuel filter, rotated tires and changed oil
1989 Toyota pickup 22RE
Diagnosed as having a bad throttle position sensor, I'll work on it maybe Thursday. I'm spending the next two days indoors at home. Y'all northerners can come get your cold weather back anytime you like. 🥶

Took down the Christmas lights. Remove the first few clips until I can grab the light strand, then pull to get the rest off. My wife helped by collecting the clips off the ground. About a 15 minute job (30 minutes to put them up).

I have a real fear of heights; The eaves over the garage are +17 feet high. I found these clips about 15 years ago and I haven't seen them since. Yes, I hoarded them when they were available.

Untitled_45.jpg

During breaks in the day-to-day, I've been doing up front work for downloading docs and the repair manual for the Highlander from TIS. I'm working to a deadline as my monthly TIS subscription is only good thru the end of January. The goal is to organize the mass download and be able to put the manual back together "off-line".

I need a document tree (essentially an indented document BOM) that I can use as a visual reference in organizing a file system on the PC. Unfortunately, TIS doesn't allow direct printing of the tree, so it's a cut and paste exercise into Excel.

View attachment 198061
Document Tree from TIS.

View attachment 198062
Cut and pasted into Excel.

There are over 4k documents not including the ones not applicable to my application. Each section will get its own folder where that sections docs will be downloaded to. TIS also doesn't allow direct download; just hard copy printing. Print to .pdf works just as well.

I did something similar for the repair manual for the LS400.
Finished downloading the repair manual documents from TIS; 3,684 separate files. I can only imagine how many total pages this is.

Untitled_47.jpg

Now on to the electrical wiring diagrams. 😬

A local client is down on his luck as his wife has cancer. A mutual friend informed me he's quite depressed and feeling quite broke. I have no idea what kind of insurance they have and what expenses are involved in her care, but I imagine it's daunting.

I knew he was way overdue for service so I told him I'd change the oil on his 6.7 CTD for free. While I had it I did the fuel filter, too, as I knew that was even more overdue.
20240116_133230.jpg

Then he asked me to clean some interesting battery corrosion on his '98 Ram 2500 V10 water hauling truck. I cleaned it as best I could with wire brushes and the Noco cleaner, then slathered on some Noco maroon goop.
20240116_145536.jpg

He said they never open the hood so they never noticed (until it wouldn't crank yesterday). Due to that statement I checked the oil and found it VERY low, so I changed that oil for free also.

I got 3.5 qts out of the pan, including draining the 51085. If we generously assume a quart was somehow still left in the pleats of the 51085, there were 4.5 qts in a 7 qt engine capacity. I advised him to check oil once a month minimum.

Because I get oil and filters so cheap, it costs little to help the community like this. He's a disabled vet and this is the least I can do. I always find it interesting when board members want to shame "hoarding" (which strikes me as subjective as "disinformation"), but sometimes that "hoarding" can help others.

Today I went through two filters and 19 quarts of oil which cost me about $50 in parts -- not a big deal

Changed the drivers interior door cable on the 02 Focus. Was getting difficult to open on occasion. The original cable was butchered by a electronic lock install 20 years ago and a on going problem. Swapped out with no issues but no surprise worse than before.. I hate this car! The cable has no adjustment so guessing something in the latch but the outside handle works fine. I swear I'd scrap it right now just over this .. this car is never a one and done fix. Needs new battery and headgasket is going again on top.

But I did get the brake pads adjusted on the winter bike so I'm not completely occasional wrencher.

Reactions: D60
Spent 3 hours trying to thaw pex in a friends attic. It was too cold to have much success. Was exercising my eu2000 letting it run the extra space heater, only to have it stall out a couple of times, very un-honda. Found some bare, uninsulated spots while up there and pushed the teddy bear stuffing around to cover it. in defeat of unthawed pipes, helped her get her holiday boxes back in her attic, which will only make it harder if I decide to return with additional insulation.

yesterday I walked my recent son-in-law through furnace 101 as theirs didn’t light up and the house was 40 degrees inside. Oddly enough, the AC condensate drain was triggering the float switch, as it was full of water. No evidence as to why, the AC isn’t running.

uncovered my new bushes today, after 48 hours. Another freeze hits tonight, but I don’t think they could handle another 24 hours covered. Kinda mixed day. Don’t feel like I did much good.

Spent 3 hours trying to thaw pex in a friends attic. It was too cold to have much success. Was exercising my eu2000 letting it run the extra space heater, only to have it stall out a couple of times, very un-honda. Found some bare, uninsulated spots while up there and pushed the teddy bear stuffing around to cover it. in defeat of unthawed pipes, helped her get her holiday boxes back in her attic, which will only make it harder if I decide to return with additional insulation.

yesterday I walked my recent son-in-law through furnace 101 as theirs didn’t light up and the house was 40 degrees inside. Oddly enough, the AC condensate drain was triggering the float switch, as it was full of water. No evidence as to why, the AC isn’t running.

uncovered my new bushes today, after 48 hours. Another freeze hits tonight, but I don’t think they could handle another 24 hours covered. Kinda mixed day. Don’t feel like I did much good.
Sometimes it's like that. Effort applied, no reward. I suppose it builds character, in fact I'm certain of it. In the moment however, defeat still feels like defeat.

Yesterday was a busy day. 5:45am house fire(I didn’t make it they canceled all units not on scene before I got there) started by a wood fireplace. Fortunately it was a brick home and shouldn’t be a total loss.

Changed fuel filters on my JD 5100e after multiple days of fighting gelling fuel.

Work: 4pm breakdown call for air leak on a bag house. Moved a man lift over to inspect it and it was a pneumatic regulator/water separator that froze and broke. Didn’t have parts in stock so we’ll have to order it and it’ll just have to leak until a new one arrives.

Work: 4:30pm breakdown call for bulk bagger not filling bags. Started troubleshooting and ended up getting another structure fire page at 5:45 that I left for.

Fought the second fire for a few hours and returned to the barn for Electric Vehicle Firefighting Training that was supposed to start at 6pm. We did get the last hour or so of it.

Returned to work by 10pm and finished the night with no more breakdowns.

This morning at 7:45 another fire page for last nights house fire that rekindled and was on fire again. Didn’t make it to that one.

Rotated the tires on the new Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Next service at 10,000 miles will be Toyota Care with there oil change & tire rotation. Already changed the oil & filter at 901 miles and 4993 miles.

Back