What are you working on today?

Friend bought a used pull-behind electric-hydraulic basket lift. Drove over to start diagnosing battery wiring, charger, and primary power health. Four golf cart GC2 batteries provide the juice. Never worked on one of these but it was fun finding my way around the innards. We stood there for a bit pulling off, cleaning, and reseating connections. I told my wife this helps her get new shutters, since me and ladders to the 2nd floor at this point are out, and at some point I’ll be able to borrow this myself.

PXL_20220910_175207870.jpg

PXL_20220910_180419596.jpg

PXL_20220910_180011526.jpg
Fun times at the exhaust shop on a Saturday morning 🤌
$70 and some welding, it's much better, but there's still a leak to my ear 👂
Gotta break out the smoke machine to pinpoint
I think it's the gasket at that flange, or what's left of it 👀
PXL_20220910_180607661.jpg

Couldn’t find any previous records of changing the fuel filter on the 01 Tundra so changed out the fuel filter today. Also did a fuel pressure test whether to determine a fuel pump replacement in the future. Still the original fuel pump and with 196,000mi I'm looking to replace it as a preventative measure or when the first signs of a weak fuel pump shows up (extended crank, lack of power at higher RPM's, etc.)

865FFB81-F0F7-4541-AD46-B5764A041BF4.jpeg

Replaced the original fogged up headlights in an OBS Ford pickup with some aftermarket replacements. The new ones are certainly nice and clear, but I can't say that I'm super impressed with the build quality of these TCI units.

I didn't expect it to take 3 hours, either, but that included a trip to the parts store to pick up new marker and turn signal bulbs once I remembered what a pain it is to replace them.

Last edited:
Lately thinking that my thrust arm bushings got a little soft. They are 25k old but have some 1000 miles of track time. Didn’t want to go polyurethane and since I have xDrive, I can’t use M3 suspension parts in front.
So got Meyle HD. Apparently HD is stiffer and unlike OEM Lamfoerder that I had, they are solid rubber, not hydro bushing.
F7718860-7EFD-4780-85D7-99A4680CBF2D.jpeg
D08ED4CF-78B6-4C93-A912-AE9336926C39.jpeg
75CB2FD2-2F24-4B89-BFFF-AE6AB1A71E27.jpeg

The left one is Meyle HD. Looks more robust. Car feels bit more planted and direct. It is hard to notice on BMW E90 any dramatic improvement as steering is already really good. But definitely bit less understeer in front at limits.
51BE566B-6A11-4D41-AB5B-5B10BB181AE4.jpeg

Parts changer on a evap code, purge valve solenoid? I thought it was going to be the one associated with the charcoal canister under the rear, 2005 Camry, but couldn't find one easily accessible at the local scrap yard, but I did get the front one and changed it out and the code cycled out.

Just drove the Camry today for errands and no check engine lite, so I might be able to call this a confirmed fix as I hadn't drove the car most of the summer after the initial repair. I think the vent valve solenoid is the one by the charcoal canister, but I may have that wrong, for my lack of knowledge disclaimer.

Also got the front pipe for the 2012 Kia Sedona. The front pipe has the flex pipe and I hope I only bought this one for a spare, but because of the location I thought it best to obtain a spare being I knew it was removed and sitting in the donor vehicle from previous visits.

An aside, music 'Boomer' box a $14.99 Goodwill find, was great until the charge port broke off the circuit board, one of the things that makes me think we are all going to have to get better at circuit board repairs as stuff gets manufactured lighter and more delicate, cheaper to generalize and summarize. Yet to confirm a fix for it, let alone how to...

The haul, that's the purge valve solenoid on top the jump-starter, best way I could spend $10, total charge at the scrap yard, and be a lucky parts changer too. Plus I got to take a couple itch weed abrasions with that too.

20220710_144154.jpg

Last edited:
Will be replacing both front calipers on the Forte today. I can't bleed the brakes because the current calipers bleeder screws are shot. I will A/S the threads of the new bleeder screws.

IMG_1840.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg

Also had 4 new Hankook tires and alignment service performed.

IMG_1835.jpeg
IMG_1836.jpeg
IMG_1837.jpeg

Finally investigating the failed XR400 -- the cam chain skipped time and bent the left exhaust valve. Thank the Lord it did not happen in the middle of nowhere, and this thing has racked a bazillion hard miles and was nearly flawless until now so I really can't complain. The rust ring at the top of the cylinder is probably due to the bike sitting with an open exhaust valve for 2 months until I tore it open, but not 100% sure. Exposed metal surfaces are now properly oiled.
00.jpg

01a.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Monday
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD
Upper/lower ball joints, idler and pitman arm, right outer tie rod end, oil change

Tuesday
2013 Toyota Sienna
Turned front rotors, replaced front pads, replaced rear rotors and pads, oil change and air filter
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 classic
Left inner tie rod and a front pads slap

Wednesday
1992 Dodge Ram D250
Upper and lower ball joints

Thursday
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Started an engine swap. Engine is out, got to take it to the machine shop this morning, then I'm taking a four day weekend.

It lives!

2 of us came over to work on my buddy’s C2 again. They did a full drain and flush of the fuel system and I pulled the carb off (again) and took it completely apart (again) and went through everything, this time with compressed air as well.

i did find the checkball and brass weight which the compressed air liberated in a “pop”. AHA!! With compressed air, a thick molasses goo came out of 2 passages in the main body.

buttoned it up. They poured more fresh gas in the tank. the moment the fuel hit it while cranking, we heard the “lump.” Turned it off, 2 pumps on the throttle, foot off the gas, and he keyed it. Popped right off like it never forgot how and settled right down. Backed off the idle speed screw, fiddled with the idle mix, dropped the idle speed a couple more passes, and he pulled out for a spin.

and the brakes held and the new AGM that was flatlined for a month, and started it many times reliably. We don’t get to have days like this often. It was a good time.

one thing though - and ive said this before - how do pros handle the constant exposure to fuels and fumes. We had a fan, were mostly outside, I stay gloved up, but man the constant exposure is rough.

PXL_20220917_181629883.jpg

$9.55 🤷‍♂️
Hyundai gotta secure the 💰 these days
At least they threw in a crush washer 🙄
I've got a yearly maintenance lined up for a 2020 Elantra and a 2005 Rav4
Everyone gets
Wiper blades+washer fluid
Cabin air filter
Air up tires
PP 5w30+OEM filter

Back