What are you working on today?

Pretty ingenius to use the printed circuit board for those lamp housings. It becomes the mount and replaces all the individual connectors. I guess PCB and contact patch hadn’t been designed to handle the substances given off by a rotting insect. Makes me think that preventative maintenance with dielectric grease might be a good move for all of the contact assemblies. Nice to catch that before the whole thing falls apart.

lubricating garage door hinges

IMG_6292.jpeg
IMG_6293.jpeg

Did a complete checkup on my 2007 Pacifica. Just rolled over 170K. Not because it needed it but because I was bored and had spare time.

Changed plugs, new intake plenum gasket, oil change with Chevron Supreme 5w-30 SP and Supertech ST16 E-core filter.

Since I had the plugs out I did a compression test.

Results were: (passenger side on left, driver side right)
Rear bank - 180-189-181
Front bank - 188-184-187

No leaks or anything of the sort, everything checked out fine. Wife and I don't use the car much, but I've got a couple teenagers that are approaching driving age, this will probably be their runaround car in a couple years until they get their own.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 11
Oil change for my wife’s friend’s 2015 Camry. You could still see through the oil with 7900 miles on it. That 2.5L I4 is a smooth, smooth motor. Gave it a wash and wax while I was at it. Penzoil platinum and a M1 filter went in.

rebuilt the top end of my buddy’s ‘65 carburetor. It was good enough to have his maiden voyage around the neighborhood, but the idle and low speed jets aren’t playing so we’ll have to get into the bottom of it as well. Carter AFB 450. its been 20 years since Ive been into a real carb… it’s not my first nature any more. The brakes are working, leak-free on all 4 corners, and the traumatized battery came back well on the tender.

slow cooked some thick cut bacon on the grill. Nothing fancy, just the stuff from Publix. Man that was good.

Did a complete checkup on my 2007 Pacifica. Just rolled over 170K. Not because it needed it but because I was bored and had spare time.

Changed plugs, new intake plenum gasket, oil change with Chevron Supreme 5w-30 SP and Supertech ST16 E-core filter.

Since I had the plugs out I did a compression test.

Results were: (passenger side on left, driver side right)
Rear bank - 180-189-181
Front bank - 188-184-187

No leaks or anything of the sort, everything checked out fine. Wife and I don't use the car much, but I've got a couple teenagers that are approaching driving age, this will probably be their runaround car in a couple years until they get their own.
What all was required to do the plugs, mom has an 08 Grand Caravan with the 4.0 that needs plugs replaced

Finally got to put the front end back on the impreza
both sides new oem balljoints, wheel bearings/seals, hubs. I was lucky both balljoint pinch bolt came out in 1 piece. (subie drivers you know what im talking about)

Tuesday

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
Right front wheel hub, sway bar links

1986 Chevrolet C10
Upper and lower ball joints, idler and pitman arm, repacked front wheel bearings, carried over into today

Today

Finished the C10

2001 Chevrolet Malibu
Turned front rotors, replaced front pads

Pretty slow at work today. Hardly any appointments showed up. It’s nice just getting to sit around though lol. Was supposed to have a misfire diagnosis on an Outback and brake diagnosis on an Ascent which I already know the problem the rotors are warped like every Ascent we have come in. I’m wondering when they will recall them. Subaru hopefully learned their lesson about having undersized brakes on a big SUV which they based off a smaller crossover/ SUV called the Forester. Didn’t increase the rotor size for the Ascent so they are undersized for a bigger vehicle.

I just kept an eye on my boys which didn’t have much to do either. Then they started playing around with each other so I had to put them to work. Had them change all of the trash bags and sweep the floor and do scrap runs. Management won’t tolerate horseplay in the shop then they will get on me about it since I’m in charge of these four people. My one I tried to work with one on one but he just isn’t working out. I’ve had him work with other people yesterday to see if it was just me or if it was him and they couldn’t show him anything either. I feel bad for him and I want him to do well he just doesn’t want to do anything that involves changing oil but that’s not going to fly. He doesn’t understand why he is in school and has ASE certifications that he has to change oil. I had a chat with him in the managers office about some things and we discussed that you can’t come in a shop with no real world experience besides school expecting to be doing serious work on day one you have to work your way up. He also is still on the “school told me this so it’s right” mindset. Today I told him lower the lift and torque the wheels. He lowers the lift about halfway and tries to torque it with the tires in the air the whole shop was laughing at him. I lowered the lift all the way and asked so did you learn that in school? He said no but I’ve never used a torque wrench before we just use torque sticks. I said well as long as you are under my watch you will use a torque wrench. And I and the big boss both reminded him that no matter your skill level you will always do oil changes. They may not always be at the same frequency if you are an actual tech instead of an express tech but they will always be there for you to do or if you get assigned something that has an oil change on it you are going to do the oil change.

So that’s my day. I enjoy training people I just hate to see them struggling. My mom believes they are training me to be a manager which could be the case but I would not say that for sure. The express manager is retiring soon she thinks they are going to make me that. It would be nice but I don’t know lol. They haven’t said anything to me about it but I seem to be the one they tell to lead everyone when the managers are gone. We will see eventually I guess.

Got most of the rubber brake lines on the Dakota changed. The rear two outers I'll need to find someone to flair the hard lines, the factories lines are one piece. I have a flair kit but I'd rather not repeat that. The only thing left is to grease the ujoints and redo the trailer wiring, Don't know who did the current wiring but they basically stripped the wiring off and wrapped the wires around lol. Think I'll just splurge and get the $33 plug in kit and repair the wires.

Replaced the cam sensor on my 1998 Chevy K3500 with the 7.4L. Not a fun job since the sensor is in the distributor and that is buried behind the tall intake manifold. I had to use a mirror just to see the cap hold down screws and the lower bolt for the coil/ICM assembly. All kinds of wiring and one of the AC lines in the way. I hope to not do that job again anytime soon.

Pretty busy at my work which is nothing new. Did brakes on a Chevy traverse, and a 20’ old body style Nissan Rogue. Everyone does oil changes here; nobody is special.

Blake (AutoMechanic) sounds like you have a “needy/special boy”. I don’t see him lasting also. You can only do so much though

Making good paint look great without going backwards. Had a close call with paint that will make me carefully choose my next move.

Making sure fluids are topped off. Leaving well enough alone, as it is running very well. Monitoring for changes as consistency is key..

Pretty slow at work today. Hardly any appointments showed up. It’s nice just getting to sit around though lol. Was supposed to have a misfire diagnosis on an Outback and brake diagnosis on an Ascent which I already know the problem the rotors are warped like every Ascent we have come in. I’m wondering when they will recall them. Subaru hopefully learned their lesson about having undersized brakes on a big SUV which they based off a smaller crossover/ SUV called the Forester. Didn’t increase the rotor size for the Ascent so they are undersized for a bigger vehicle.

I just kept an eye on my boys which didn’t have much to do either. Then they started playing around with each other so I had to put them to work. Had them change all of the trash bags and sweep the floor and do scrap runs. Management won’t tolerate horseplay in the shop then they will get on me about it since I’m in charge of these four people. My one I tried to work with one on one but he just isn’t working out. I’ve had him work with other people yesterday to see if it was just me or if it was him and they couldn’t show him anything either. I feel bad for him and I want him to do well he just doesn’t want to do anything that involves changing oil but that’s not going to fly. He doesn’t understand why he is in school and has ASE certifications that he has to change oil. I had a chat with him in the managers office about some things and we discussed that you can’t come in a shop with no real world experience besides school expecting to be doing serious work on day one you have to work your way up. He also is still on the “school told me this so it’s right” mindset. Today I told him lower the lift and torque the wheels. He lowers the lift about halfway and tries to torque it with the tires in the air the whole shop was laughing at him. I lowered the lift all the way and asked so did you learn that in school? He said no but I’ve never used a torque wrench before we just use torque sticks. I said well as long as you are under my watch you will use a torque wrench. And I and the big boss both reminded him that no matter your skill level you will always do oil changes. They may not always be at the same frequency if you are an actual tech instead of an express tech but they will always be there for you to do or if you get assigned something that has an oil change on it you are going to do the oil change.

So that’s my day. I enjoy training people I just hate to see them struggling. My mom believes they are training me to be a manager which could be the case but I would not say that for sure. The express manager is retiring soon she thinks they are going to make me that. It would be nice but I don’t know lol. They haven’t said anything to me about it but I seem to be the one they tell to lead everyone when the managers are gone. We will see eventually I guess.

🍾 . Too soon ? :D

Back