what are you using for personal defense ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Buffman
^^ Hollow points illegal in canada?
Hollowpoints are illegal to use only in a handgun. But you can still buy hollowpoint handgun ammo as long as you say it is for use in a rifle or carbine. :)

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Hollowpoints are illegal to use only in a handgun. But you can still buy hollowpoint handgun ammo as long as you say it is for use in a rifle or carbine. :)

Why are they illegal? Does shooting them at higher velocities out of a 16" barrel makes them less lethal?

But you do have Molson beer. I guess that's the trade-off...

21.gif

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Why are they illegal? Does shooting them at higher velocities out of a 16" barrel makes them less lethal?

But you do have Molson beer. I guess that's the trade-off...

21.gif

Its the whole "anti self-defence" idea that the government here is pushing. Doesnt matter to me, I will use whatever ammo I have at hand should the need arise, lol. Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6! Myself, I dont like Molson products, I prefer Creemore Springs Beer, it is a micro brewery that makes a number of fine ales and pilsners, all without preservatives and unpasturised. Much better taste!

Last edited:
Different guns have different things...
PPU M193
Uly 8M3
Fiocchi Low Recoil 00 Buck
Hornady TAP FPD
Remington Golden Saber
Remington LSWC
Federal Tactical HST

Plain ole Federal AE FMJ's in pistols, Federal Hydra-shoks in revolvers and #1 buck in shotgun.

.380 ACP gets Gold Dots or Cor-Bon which seem to be the only ones that reliably open in my testing
9MM gets 124gr +P Gold Dots
.357 Mag gets Hornady 158gr JHP/XTP when I carry it and 125gr 38 SPL +P when my wife carries it
45 Auto gets whatever I have in the magazine at the time (always JHP)

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I believe that is considered "importing" which is illegal.

When the law is wrong, we have a duty to break it.....
34.gif

I use Federal Hydra-Shok in my handguns and 00 buckshot in the scatter guns.

Last edited:
Hornady Critical Defense in my Sig 226 .40, and my FN 9mm. The three CCW Ruger .380s we have, have Corbon DPX's in them. 2.75" number 4 buck in my Remmy 870's ( choked to full ) tube, and 3" magnum 00 buck ( 15 pellet ) in the sidesaddle, in case the smaller buck doesn't get my point across.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
2 clips of Ranger SXT next to the bed with my Glock 22 next to it. i dont keep it loaded, and i can only have 10 round mags in CA.

That's not quite accurate. You can only purchase 10 rd magazines in CA. It's not illegal to own hi-cap mags. If you travel to AZ or NV, you can purchase the hi-cap magazines. Once they're in your "possession", who's to say you didn't have them all along...
There is ways of telling dates of mfgs on mags.

Lightfield 12ga 1 1/4 ounce sabot slug. No penetration or killing problems and leaves a MASSIVE hole in everything I have ever killed with it.

xr5oy.jpg

124gr. Federal HST 9mm+p., Ranger T 9mm +p+ ( I like this round, but have had several full pass throughs with zero expansion until it hit the cement at the bottom of our testing tank), Corbon DPX, 124 gr Gold Dot,and at the far right is a Critical defense. ( IIRC all were 124gr. )

The Federal HST in the .45 is an absolute beast. Sitting next to the 9mm HST. The .45 opened to 1.109"
bhhrua.jpg

I have some .45 EXPANDING FMJ rounds that will go into the tank soon.

In the 45's I carry Horandy TAP series HP
In the 9's I carry Federal Hdra-Shocks HP

In case of a real hairy home situation I got Hornady Ballsitic tips for the AK 7.62x39

I was using 2 Glasers and 4 hydrashocks in my revolver.

The thought being that I would not overpenetrate and risk injuring my own family on the other side and Glasers make very big nasty surface wounds. If the intruder was too methed or dusted up to notice two of those center mass, the Federal +P hydra-shocks would put a big enough hole in a critical organ (heart and/or brain) to render the effect of the drugs moot.

My dad gave me a magazine load of Winchester Ranger +P+ 9mm. These things are evil looking - and my new defense round

No matter what I always use FMJ's least likely to jam in my military weapons. I also always use Russian steel case ammo. It runs just fine.

I like the +P Golddots in 9mm.
The SX2 Mk2 Practical gets #1 buck.
The 44 Redhawk gets BTB's 325gr LCMNGC under a healthy dose of H4227 for 1300fps. Wide meplat Hardcast all the way baby!

I'm glad this thread got resurrected from the dead...

I'm using cheap, low brass Wolf 00 buckshot in the shotgun, Critical Defense in the .38, and standard winchester white box FMJ in the .45.

I'm still on the hunt for some #1 buckshot. Hard stuff to find.

Oh, by the way. I carry heavy for caliber HST's in all auto pistols and DPX in the 357 mag. Backed with multiple mags of the same thing.
5.56 would be 75 grain open tip FDP TAP, backed or replaced with Federal URBAN soft tips in-doors. I also fear over penetration at home. The 6.8 would be 110 grain v-max, all extra mags are 110gr Hornady open tip match boatails.
Remmy 870 and Ben. supernova get hornady critical defense 00 buck. Very low kick and flash. sidesaddles get Federal tactical 00 ( titewad ) I also have #4 and #1 buck, and slugs ( both breneke style and standard foster slug) in 3" if the previous rounds are ineffective.
In the rifled 870... Nothing... No way am I shooting a huge sabot at anything in the house. Unless a Moose has gotten in. ( pretty rare in Vegas ) Plus all my sabots are reloads which are pretty frowned upon at trial.
sabots001.jpg

I have both the DPX and Ranger T in 12 gauge sabot.....

If I have to get a bolt gun, I have other issues that are more important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back