what are you using for personal defense ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
2 clips of Ranger SXT next to the bed with my Glock 22 next to it. i dont keep it loaded, and i can only have 10 round mags in CA.

That's not quite accurate. You can only purchase 10 rd magazines in CA. It's not illegal to own hi-cap mags. If you travel to AZ or NV, you can purchase the hi-cap magazines. Once they're in your "possession", who's to say you didn't have them all along...

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
2 clips of Ranger SXT next to the bed with my Glock 22 next to it. i dont keep it loaded, and i can only have 10 round mags in CA.

That's not quite accurate. You can only purchase 10 rd magazines in CA. It's not illegal to own hi-cap mags. If you travel to AZ or NV, you can purchase the hi-cap magazines. Once they're in your "possession", who's to say you didn't have them all along...

hmm I like your thinking. I havent made it out of the state since i purchased my Glock. I will be taking a Front Sight 2 day class, so i will see what i can get when I am there.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob

I believe you have to register your hi caps in Cali. And hope you don't get caught importing them into the state.

180 grain jacketed Winchester Hallow points. 14 in the first mag and 10 in the second ( I need to swap out back up mag to the other 14 rounder) I have 24 chances to make sure one expands as advertised

9mm- 115gr Winchester Silvertips
.40- 180gr Winchester Black Talon ( bought 6 cases before being discontinued)
.45- Federal 230 match ball
.357- 125gr Winchester Silvertips
.41mag- Remington 210gr Hollowpoints
.44mag- Remington 240gr Hollowpoints
.38super- 125gr Winchester Silvertips
.223- M882
.308- Remington 150gr PP
12ga- #4 2.75 buckshot

All factory loads for self defence

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Buffman
^^ Hollow points illegal in canada?

NO. This is BAD information spread around by a few ignorant/uneducated firearms safety instructors.

I was merely joking, because the previous poster stated he used ball ammo, rahter than a HP..

Plain 'ol .45 Auto 230 FMJ Winchester white box. Anyone who can survive a couple of those has earned the right to do me in.

Originally Posted By: Al
Plain 'ol .45 Auto 230 FMJ Winchester white box. Anyone who can survive a couple of those has earned the right to do me in.

Why FMJ and not JHP????

JHP offers more stopping power with out the risk of overpenetration and causing collateral damage. . .

Well, with a standard 230 grain FMJ, it's not as likely to overpenetrate as the smaller faster calibers such as the light fast FMJ 9mms do, which is where all of this overpenetration hoopla got started ... and even the 9mm may or may not overpenetrate with a solid hit, the same as a 9mm hp may or may not ... it all depends on what it hits. When I use a 9mm, I prefer the slower 147 for it's weight, I use a HP but would feel just as comfortable with a FMJ with the flat nose...same would go for the 180 grain .40 caliber, or even a 158 grain SWC .38 special. I'd definetly use a hp in the 115 or 124 grain flavors of 9mm if I had them but taking any shot should always depend on whats in the field of fire...over penetrated rounds are much less of a concern than misses are.

A standard 230 grain .45 is going slow enough that expansion is just a bonus if it happens..actually, it should just be considered a bonus if it happens with any handgun caliber, but speed is definetly a critical factor...people just tend to forget that a bullet fired into an aggressor may go thru any manner of material before entering the body and then may have to deal with bones, etc...people ain't made of testing gelatin...and a heavy .45 is pretty well spent 'IF' it exits with a solid hit.

Nothing wrong with using hollowpoints, but what determines effectiveness with handgun ammo is shot placement with adequate penetration...expansion is just a bonus ... there ain't no magic bullets that do everything they advertise and stop just short of exiting under all circunstances ... and in that respect, it's hard to beat the good ol .45 HardBall for a defensive round.

My Springfield Armoury 1911A1 .45ACP using Federal 230gr FMJ, My S&W 686 .357mag with Winchester 125gr hollowpoints and my Rem 870 express mag with 20inch barrel loaded with Federal 2 3/4 inch 000 buckshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back