What are you reading right now?

I read them all in order including The wind through the keyhole. Kept me interested for 1000s of pages. Pretty amazing King was able to do that.
I started reading them shortly after he started writing them, so the series wasn't complete. I bought them as he completed them, then the van accident happened and it seemed like the story was never going to finish, but thankfully it did. There's a bit of lore surrounding that family of books, not sure if you are familiar? It's the only book (books) he never set out to write. He was in the middle of writing something else and he woke up and just started writing the Dark Tower. Then it stopped. It resumed again by itself a long while later, and that's how it went. He was unsure if it would ever reach a conclusion.

I started reading them shortly after he started writing them, so the series wasn't complete. I bought them as he completed them, then the van accident happened and it seemed like the story was never going to finish, but thankfully it did. There's a bit of lore surrounding that family of books, not sure if you are familiar? It's the only book (books) he never set out to write. He was in the middle of writing something else and he woke up and just started writing the Dark Tower. Then it stopped. It resumed again by itself a long while later, and that's how it went. He was unsure if it would ever reach a conclusion.
Yeah it is amazing. He does have some commentary in the newer editions explaing the process.

Michael Connelly's books are consistently good. The recent Mickey Haller series on Netflix was really good.
Didn't know there was a series. The Bosch series was excellent, I've read them all and the series more or less followed them so it wasn't too irritating. I hate when they leave out what I think are all the good parts of a book.

Didn't know there was a series. The Bosch series was excellent, I've read them all and the series more or less followed them so it wasn't too irritating. I hate when they leave out what I think are all the good parts of a book.
Harry Bosch is a very good character. I've read quite a few of them, but as with Jack Higgins and Wilbur Smith, there are always ones turning up I hadn't read.

The book-to-movie adaptation that bugged me most was Shooter, based on Stephen Hunter's great novel Point Of Impact. It was a huge disappointment.

George RR Martin's Fevre Dream

I loved it, but lost it in recent years...Kylie bought me a copy, and I'm getting through it (can only read fiction when I'm in a good space, and I certianly am (we're also reading the Stand, and eerily accurate piece, that unfortunately failed to mention Toilet Paper).

When I finish the Vampire book, I'm going to try the Shannow novels again....

20221108_093308.jpg

Excellent read, and very informative. It's a Brit novel about IEDs, the drug trade, and bomb-disarming teams (including sniffer dogs) in Afghanistan. The plot is complex and engaging, the protagonists are likeable, and the author's dry wit worked well.

I learned a lot about Afghani culture as well.

Working my way into the Agatha Raisin series. Bit of a polar opposite of Sherlock.

Found Baldacci’s Memory Man series, that seems good. Similar to Jack Reacher but different enough.

I picked up Ready Player One for my son, only to find out he already has a copy. I went to return it but the librarian convinced me to give it a try and i’ve been surprised to find myself enjoying it. Which is odd as I all but abhor video games…

View attachment 125188
Excellent read, and very informative. It's a Brit novel about IEDs, the drug trade, and bomb-disarming teams (including sniffer dogs) in Afghanistan. The plot is complex and engaging, the protagonists are likeable, and the author's dry wit worked well.

I learned a lot about Afghani culture as well.
Cover of your book reminded me of one I enjoyed by reading after seeing the movie as a teen. If you like intrigue (sounds like that one you working on) and if you like any classic subject books / movies etc.... you would probably enjoy this one that is easily available in both book + movie form. It is a Hitchcock thriller about USA / Russian spying etc.... in the 1960s. Must be popular as for a long time it was on cable all the time some years back. I am certain it is not near as involved or technical as the one you are working on. I will be checking that one out on Amazon.... Into Dust. Sounds like a good one. Looks like may be in movie form also.
D84AA198B18C3E10E70EC78F73F88BFBF53E9BE1.jpg

Last edited:
Highly recommended: “The story of Edgar Sawtelle” by David Wroblewski. Do you like dogs and stories about real relationships and people interacting with dogs? This one is pulling at the heart and I’m more emotionally involved in Edgar’s story then I should be. I’m glad it’s fiction because if this was someone’s real life story that would be sad.

Highly recommended: “The story of Edgar Sawtelle” by David Wroblewski. Do you like dogs and stories about real relationships and people interacting with dogs? This one is pulling at the heart and I’m more emotionally involved in Edgar’s story then I should be. I’m glad it’s fiction because if this was someone’s real life story that would be sad.
It can happen. I read a lot of fiction and non ficition and sometimes a story can kinda grab a person. Thanks for sharing. I like stories about special animals / pets and relationships between owners and their pets. Just read one that affected me similarly.

Back