What are you doing right now?

I always do those in pairs I’m told with electronic ignition it will fry the computer just replacing one because one new one will be more powerful than the others. I’ve also verified that from experience too. Just a thought maybe replace the rest 😁
I have been told it is best to replace ALL the coil packs, (at once,) so that the spark etc stays the same. Sometimes if you replace with new it will make the engine run uneven.

Or, expose the weakest coil.

Do it on a Nissan and it throws a code.

Might be more with using different brand/type of coil pack on same engine. Should all be the same....

Sounds good until you look at set of OE cool packs and they want like between $500-$1000 for set of 6 new (insert OE name here)

I have been told it is best to replace ALL the coil packs, so that the spark etc stays the same. Sometimes if you replace with new it will make the engine run uneven.

Might be more with using different brand/type of coil pack on same engine. Should all be the same....
Yes I have verified just now from multiple online sources too you should replace all of them. From first hand experience too when I worked at the dealership we had a customer who had just replaced the bad one after the guy at the parts store recommended replacing all they came in two weeks later with an in-op car I diagnosed and found the PCM to have been bad and the first thing we done was tested the other coils and they were weak compared to the new one so slapped the other 3 in and haven’t had issues since then that I know of. That’s why when the others went bad in my dads car I replaced all 4 he just wanted to replace one then he realized I was right so he was glad I had done it.

Yes I have verified just now from multiple online sources too you should replace all of them. From first hand experience too when I worked at the dealership we had a customer who had just replaced the bad one after the guy at the parts store recommended replacing all they came in two weeks later with an in-op car I diagnosed and found the PCM to have been bad and the first thing we done was tested the other coils and they were weak compared to the new one so slapped the other 3 in and haven’t had issues since then that I know of. That’s why when the others went bad in my dads car I replaced all 4 he just wanted to replace one then he realized I was right so he was glad I had done it.
If you replace one call you're going to create an unbalanced engine.

now if you're using used OE coils and not going after market that may not be the case.

Just at my toolboxes putting away all my goodies I got at the pawn shop today they gave me everything for $20 and said Merry Christmas. Lots of old tools and a big Icon 1/2 drive flex head ratchet too they don’t care about tools so I always get a great deal.

now if you're using used OE coils and not going after market that may not be the case.
False

One faulty coil pack does not affect the others. I've replaced many coil packs,only replacing one that is faulty and no issues.

I always do those in pairs I’m told with electronic ignition it will fry the computer just replacing one because one new one will be more powerful than the others. I’ve also verified that from experience too. Just a thought maybe replace the rest 😁

Hard no, the computer doesn't know, or care, that you replaced the coil. The energy to jump the gap is the source of the draw, so a large gap on worn plugs is more demanding of the coils; a bigger draw.

The Ford Modular COP's were notorious for dying. I replacing 3x on our old Expedition, my dad has replaced two. The rest of them were still original, same on his, they all still are.

Nope. As long as the spark jumps the gap, it doesn't matter. The age of the coil is irrelevant, as long as it is capable of producing sufficient energy to jump the gap and light the mixture there will be no difference.

Hard no, the computer doesn't know, or care, that you replaced the coil. The energy to jump the gap is the source of the draw, so a large gap on worn plugs is more demanding of the coils; a bigger draw.

The Ford Modular COP's were notorious for dying. I replacing 3x on our old Expedition, my dad has replaced two. The rest of them were still original, same on his, they all still are.
Well I am glad to learn more. I have read online that you should replace them together and that’s what I do. It is strange I seen them fry my customers PCM if that isn’t how they work and then I replaced the rest after the PCM replacement and it didn’t give issues. I was reading on a site it said Ford were especially bad for that happening.

Just got out of Meijer.... 70lbs of cat litter later 😬
Lotsa kitty cats!!
kittens.jpg

Nope. As long as the spark jumps the gap, it doesn't matter. The age of the coil is irrelevant, as long as it is capable of producing sufficient energy to jump the gap and light the mixture there will be no difference.
My GMC would disagree with you!

Put different kinds of coils on it and it hates it... (At the same time. Like, 2/3 Accel and 2/3 OE)

Back