What are the chances these practices go on within the oil industry?

Amsoil's message has basically been the same since it's inception. Pay up for a better engine oil, especially the SS line.

Amsoil's AEL is a little over $10 a quart for a preferred customer. M1 ESP locally is $9.99 a quart. Both appear to be excellent products but the price differential doesn't seem large to me.

Disclaimer: I don't own a VW Diesel so I don't need a 507.00 Spec Oil.

What would end a lot of the oil debates is if companies published their engine sequence test results - IVA, IIIH etc. Not going to happen but it would be interesting. :LOL:

I don't want to name names, but one of the boutique brands on their blog made this statement, which is a bold accusation. What are your thoughts on it?

"When a competitor’s oil easily passes an industry-standard test, they often reformulate to reduce cost and performance to where it barely passes the test. When we pass a test (or a double-length test), we continue to search for ways to increase protection even more because, for our customers, “good enough” doesn’t cut it. "

That was my conversation with my friend cca 1 month ago.....he works for one oil/lube distributor....

After that I will never buy.....lets say MB OEM 5w30 MB 229.51/52 oil......but will buy Mobil1 5w30 ESP instead....if you know what I mean :)

Although both oils are produced by Mobil1..........first one is from a "bulk"...and the other is......for my car ;)

That was my conversation with my friend cca 1 month ago.....he works for one oil/lube distributor....

After that I will never buy.....lets say MB OEM 5w30 MB 229.51/52 oil......but will buy Mobil1 5w30 ESP instead....if you know what I mean :)

Although both oils are produced by Mobil1..........first one is from a "bulk"...and the other is......for my car ;)

I have a friend that works at a blending facility (not Mobil) and also have a small trucking company and after lots of UOA I have absolutely no problem with bulk. I think many people let their imagination run away with them. I have tested HDEO from 3 Majors on many occasions and all were at least as consistent in bulk as bottle. After lots of testing I will use all 3. They are functionally identical and given the convenience and cost it will be bulk.

That absolutely, without a doubt, does happen and not just in the oil industry. Not trying to be political, but the government is far more guilty of this than the private market. Just ask a veteran about that one...

I have a friend that works at a blending facility (not Mobil) and also have a small trucking company and after lots of UOA I have absolutely no problem with bulk. I think many people let their imagination run away with them. I have tested HDEO from 3 Majors on many occasions and all were at least as consistent in bulk as bottle. After lots of testing I will use all 3. They are functionally identical and given the convenience and cost it will be bulk.
Its nothing wrong with a bulk oil.....but oil intended directly for a "Joe the consumer" is more in the spec....

XYZ car company buy a big amount of oil for all of their assembly sub-companies...well we need that 5w30 ESP...but make it that way that it will still be VW 504/507 specd....but 2c...3c....5c cheaper for us...because we are big buyers and will buy/need that oil also in the future....will sign a contract for our future needs etc...

Do you see a picture now? Its still an ESP....but sliiiiightly reformulated one!

Its nothing wrong with a bulk oil.....but oil intended directly for a "Joe the consumer" is more in the spec....

XYZ car company buy a big amount of oil for all of their assembly sub-companies...well we need that 5w30 ESP...but make it that way that it will still be VW 504/507 specd....but 2c...3c....5c cheaper for us...because we are big buyers and will buy/need that oil also in the future....will sign a contract for our future needs etc...

Do you see a picture now? Its still an ESP....but sliiiiightly reformulated one!

I think the OP was more concerned with how long before that VW oil becomes the bottled ESP since it's 5 cents cheaper a gallon and reduces product proliferation.

Back