Interesting claim by Amsoil

7l90cv.jpg

Maybe for the same reason I buy Heinz Ketchup as opposed to a lower priced store brand. They're both made with tomatoes, salt and spices. Maybe I'm a victim of advertising but I generally have more confidence in the performance and quality of a name brand. I've tried other paper towels but I always come back to Bounty. I've tried cheaper boots but prefer Timberland, etc. And yes, I will always prefer a name brand motor oil over Supertech or Amazon Basics even though I know they have the same approvals.
I don't buy Heinz Ketchup because they use high fructose corn syrup. But due to other no-name brands offering ketchup without High Fructose Corn Syrup, there's Simply Heinz.

Off the counter medicines? I buy store brand when available. Same active ingredients, costs less money.
Prescribed medications? I get generic when available.

I don't buy Heinz Ketchup because they use high fructose corn syrup. But due to other no-name brands offering ketchup without High Fructose Corn Syrup, there's Simply Heinz.

Off the counter medicines? I buy store brand when available. Same active ingredients, costs less money.
Prescribed medications? I get generic when available.
One big difference I note with some "bo bo" brands as I call them (store brand/generics) is...packaging. I hate some of the cheap packaging that makes it hard to use the product. Supertech oils have crappy bottles or at least the bit of paper/foil that covers the drain. Horrible to get it off and I even had a piece fall in. Liquimoly containers are excellent with grips and pour spouts. So that's another angle that some might find value in, it's all about what you value and don't.

One big difference I note with some "bo bo" brands as I call them (store brand/generics) is...packaging. I hate some of the cheap packaging that makes it hard to use the product. Supertech oils have crappy bottles or at least the bit of paper/foil that covers the drain. Horrible to get it off and I even had a piece fall in. Liquimoly containers are excellent with grips and pour spouts. So that's another angle that some might find value in, it's all about what you value and don't.
I am also a race fan. I appreciate the support that the majors (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.) bring to racing with their sponsorship dollars. If that support costs me a couple extra dollars when I buy a jug of Pennzoil as opposed to Supertech, then that's my contribution to auto racing.

I am also a race fan. I appreciate the support that the majors (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.) bring to racing with their sponsorship dollars. If that support costs me a couple extra dollars when I buy a jug of Pennzoil as opposed to Supertech, then that's my contribution to auto racing.
Same feeling here with Liquimoly.

The built-in funnels in the Motul 5L bottles are a nice touch, but I have never had trouble filling up the crankcase with a regular 1 qt bottle or 5 quart container. If I have trouble aiming, that's what a funnel is for.

But a foil seal on the spout has never bothered me one bit.

The built-in funnels in the Motul 5L bottles are a nice touch, but I have never had trouble filling up the crankcase with a regular 1 qt bottle or 5 quart container. If I have trouble aiming, that's what a funnel is for.

But a foil seal on the spout has never bothered me one bit.
The foil seal is fine, having it be of a quality that allows easy removal is. Doesn't stop me from using ST - I just cut it with a razor knife. The point simply was that the packaging may add value to folks and increase the amount they are willing to pay even if the outcome from both is identical.

I post these things for discussion simply out of curiosity and interest. I don't lose sleep over this stuff lol. With that said, I appreciate Amsoil providing this information though. They're basically saying these are the industry tests you must meet; this is how far we exceed them. Nothing more nothing less.

I think all major brands have cheapened their products to increase profit.
Mobil 1 used to have PAO and Esters, now it appears they are just regular group III full synthetic oils, so they can sell the oil at the PAO/Ester price, but blend the oil at the Group III price, and make more profit.

That's why I believe there is no benefit to using name brand oils anymore. They've all been cheapened.
I prefer to use the lowest priced full synthetic oil I can find.

I believe that Group III Full Synthetic is all you need for extreme heat situations, and cold weather flow, so that their cheapening is justified. But I wish their prices would have come down with that cheapening, but of course they didn't, as they pad their profits instead.
Depends on what products, Shell and M1 have improved their euro oils.

Dr. Thunder. HAAHHAAHHA

Yes, store brands don't taste as good to me but taste is something you can actually sense. With oil, how do you know that the Dr. Thunder 5W30 isn't working as well?
Yeah. Coolest soda name EVER.

Now make one where the guy's caption reads "should I fix this timing chain rattle......or should I take it to VIR and SEND IT"
My 2006/2007 Honda Odyssey J35's have timing belts. I actually prefer the rubber belts.
Who want's a timing chain from a US manufacturer where they wear out so easlily (some after 50k miles) and then stretch due to the wear or if previous owner did 10k OCI, and then you have a possible $3,000 repair.

Timing belts are predictable. $800 at a local mechanic for OEM parts (Timing Belt, Tensioner, water pump, oil seals) and labor.
Just do it every 125k miles and sleep tight, so 1 timing belt replacement will get you from a brand new car to 250,000 miles.

Back