Interesting claim by Amsoil

The upkeep and maintenance on supercars is colossal
A former manager of mine had a Bentley GT...and had a servcice done while we were interstate, picked it up after we got back to the airport (they sent a Merc to pick us up).

$3,800, including 12 litres of oil for $1,200.

I mentioned in passing the VW specs required for the Bentley, and that I'd use M1 0W40..."that's the oil that we use".

So I further suggested that next service, he pick up 3x 5 litre jugs, (total value $300), and leave them in the passenger footwell when he booked it in, just like I did with my Colorado....needless to say, I didn't get a free mug....

A former manager of mine had a Bentley GT...and had a servcice done while we were interstate, picked it up after we got back to the airport (they sent a Merc to pick us up).

$3,800, including 12 litres of oil for $1,200.

I mentioned in passing the VW specs required for the Bentley, and that I'd use M1 0W40..."that's the oil that we use".

So I further suggested that next service, he pick up 3x 5 litre jugs, (total value $300), and leave them in the passenger footwell when he booked it in, just like I did with my Colorado....needless to say, I didn't get a free mug....
Most robberies like that require a gun 😷

Here's another take on it. What if the oil needs to be formulated a certain way to get through one of the API tests. It can't be cheapened as it ony just gets through. However, a consequence of this formulation is that it knocks the IIIH out of the park. Happy days.

You'll rarely find an oil that just squeaks past EVERY required test, there will always be a result here or there that is way better than the limit. Since these API tests are simply PASS or FAIL as far as the consumer knows, the oilco takes the initiative to demonstrate where their oil is way better than needed, and why not?

Here's another take on it. What if the oil needs to be formulated a certain way to get through one of the API tests. It can't be cheapened as it ony just gets through. However, a consequence of this formulation is that it knocks the IIIH out of the park. Happy days.

You'll rarely find an oil that just squeaks past EVERY required test, there will always be a result here or there that is way better than the limit. Since these API tests are simply PASS or FAIL as far as the consumer knows, the oilco takes the initiative to demonstrate where their oil is way better than needed, and why not?

Makes sense.

I was thinking of a scenario where the oil company develops a formulation, submits it to testing and it passes multiple tests by significant margins. Once it passes, they then lower the performance of the product knowing they can still pass it while saving money.

However, if you're claiming "30X better on IIIH" then what's in the bottle should be exactly that.

Makes sense.

I was thinking of a scenario where the oil company develops a formulation, submits it to testing and it passes multiple tests by significant margins. Once it passes, they then lower the performance of the product knowing they can still pass it while saving money.
for one thing, oil suppliers like to have repeat customers, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to cheapen their product after certification, knowing that engine failures down the line can end up in a lawsuit.. at a certain point a person realizes most of these oils perform essentially the same and contain different mixtures of the same chemicals..

it all boils down to 2 basic groups of BITOG customers, all who understand something about oil...
these 2 groups devolve into 1 group willing to pay extra and another group who think the product is pretty much all the same,
so they go the cheapest route..

Last edited:
for one thing, oil suppliers like to have repeat customers, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to cheapen their product after certification, knowing that engine failures down the line can end up in a lawsuit..
Mobil 1 is found in so many high-performance engines it wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

Mobil 1 is found in so many high-performance engines it wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

same applies to Warren, Texaco, Mobil, Royal Dutch Shell etc

Mass Production doesn't lend itself to small batch specialty blending... thats where the boutique brands stake their territory

for one thing, oil suppliers like to have repeat customers, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to cheapen their product after certification, knowing that engine failures down the line can end up in a lawsuit.. at a certain point a person realizes most of these oils perform essentially the same and contain different mixtures of the same chemicals..

it all boils down to 2 basic groups of BITOG customers, all who understand something about oil...
these 2 groups devolve into 1 group willing to pay extra and another group who think the product is pretty much all the same,
so they go the cheapest route..
And in the end nobody/neither group can show that their oil decision made one bit of difference to the longevity of their engines so we end up here hahahaha

7l8ldz.jpg

I've often wondered why people will pay more for an oil that claims to meet a spec after bypassing a cheaper oil that does meet the spec and manufacturer approvals. ?
Maybe for the same reason I buy Heinz Ketchup as opposed to a lower priced store brand. They're both made with tomatoes, salt and spices. Maybe I'm a victim of advertising but I generally have more confidence in the performance and quality of a name brand. I've tried other paper towels but I always come back to Bounty. I've tried cheaper boots but prefer Timberland, etc. And yes, I will always prefer a name brand motor oil over Supertech or Amazon Basics even though I know they have the same approvals.

Maybe for the same reason I buy Heinz Ketchup as opposed to a lower priced store brand. They're both made with tomatoes, salt and spices. Maybe I'm a victim of advertising but I generally have more confidence in the performance and quality of a name brand. I've tried other paper towels but I always come back to Bounty. I've tried cheaper boots but prefer Timberland, etc. And yes, I will always prefer a name brand motor oil over Supertech or Amazon Basics even though I know they have the same approvals.
You do sometimes get what you pay for.

Makes me wonder if OE and XL lines crushes the Sequence IIIH engine test or not, or did Amsoil do the exact thing they accuse others of.

+1.

Dollar store Dr. Thunder and Mountain Lightning are very different compared to name brand Dr. Pepper and Mtn. Dew, or at least to my tastebuds. Growing up with store brand everything has shown me that name brand does make a difference for a lot of products out there, even if it's just the warm and fuzzy feeling you get by purchasing the "higher quality" product.

+1.

Dollar store Dr. Thunder and Mountain Lightning are very different compared to name brand Dr. Pepper and Mtn. Dew, or at least to my tastebuds. Growing up with store brand everything has shown me that name brand does make a difference for a lot of products out there, even if it's just the warm and fuzzy feeling you get by purchasing the "higher quality" product.
Dr. Thunder. HAAHHAAHHA

Yes, store brands don't taste as good to me but taste is something you can actually sense. With oil, how do you know that the Dr. Thunder 5W30 isn't working as well?

Last edited:
Dr. Thunder. HAAHHAAHHA

Yes, store brands don't taste as good to me but taste is something you can actually sensed. With oil, how do you know that the Dr. Thunder 5W30 isn't working as well?
For me, oil falls under the "warm and fuzzy" category. I admit I have a weird aversion to green colors and refuse to buy Quaker State for that reason. Buy whatever bottle looks cool and meets the spec you're looking for. Bonus points if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for buying a "better brand". I'll stick to my Dr. Pepper 5W30. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
not really... taste in food is subjective.. motor oils meet certifications, which are objective in nature.

For me, oil falls under the "warm and fuzzy" category. I admit I have a weird aversion to green colors and refuse to buy Quaker State for that reason. Buy whatever bottle looks cool and meets the spec you're looking for. Bonus points if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for buying a "better brand". I'll stick to my Dr. Pepper 5W30. :ROFLMAO:
Per my sig, I celebrate the range from Dr. Thunder AND Dr. Pepper!

I like green cars, oil, and oil bottles.

If more people just said as much here you'd have less arguing..."I like using HPL b/c I can afford it and like it." but everyone tries to justify their purchases which in the same sentence usually degrades others' choices and hence BITOG!

Back