Interesting claim by Amsoil

If my engine oil is running at 150c I'm adding an oil cooler or finding a bigger one, adding some fans or something.

I have no doubt that when money is no object they can wreck an industry standard test.

If my engine oil is running at 150c I'm adding an oil cooler or finding a bigger one, adding some fans or something.

I have no doubt that when money is no object they can wreck an industry standard test.
Yeah, 150C/300F is time for some intervention. 280 is about as high as mine has gotten with 90 deg F ambients and beating on during a hot track session.

What about at the ring lands and other areas in the bores?

Sure 150°C would be pretty hot in the sump, but not elsewhere
If it's 50c hotter in the sump (150c) then the rings and underside of the piston are probably about 50c hotter than if the oil in the sump is a normal 100c.

If it's 50c hotter in the sump (150c) then the rings and underside of the piston are probably about 50c hotter than if the oil in the sump is a normal 100c.
For some parts of the engine, such as the bearings or the cams, it seems to work this way. In those cases, if the oil in the sump gets 50°C hotter, the oil in those components will also be, more or less, 50°C hotter.

At the piston rings, it doesn't seem to work like that. The oil film between the ring and liner is so thin, and the piston dwell time near TDC so long, that the oil will heat to a temperature similar to that of the ring and liner, regardless of how cool the oil was to start with. The ring and liner temperatures will be more dependent on engine load and coolant temperature than oil sump temperature. Splash oiling of the with cooler oil will have some cooling effect on the piston and liner, and will still help maintain a higher viscosity and oil film thickness, but not as much as you might expect.

It just seems an odd point to pick on Amsoil. It's marketing. If any oil company skips the marketing aspect, the company will lag. And I for one am glad companies can and do marketing differently.
Amsoil showing IIIH results is one of the best things they've ever done IMO. That test is no joke. They also doubled the interval to 180 hours.

I've been contemplating using Amsoil SS 5W-50 for a very long time now in a M60B40 in Florida...super hard to beat what's in there now though. I know what the Amsoil website recommends but i wouldn't use that.

Back