what are the best budget brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for brakes for my 07 f-150 advance auto parts quoted me around 360 all around for pads and rotors which sounded good untill i went online and read bad things about their wearever rotors. I am really trying to stay under 450 if i can any thoughts?

Rotors have the potential of multiple uses. Id go good, US-made rotors. Try Napa for example... but dont trust any manufacturer to not sell you chinese junk. Are you sure that the rear rotors need to be done?

Id look for wagner pads.

We have used chinese pep boys rotors in the past, and they have been fine, FWIW.

the quote i have is with wagner thermo quiets. Rears dont really need to be done but was gonna do them to get them over with and also because i have had the rearend rebuilt 3 times last summer (under warranty) and think i starting to have problems again and i dont want it brushed off as bad brakes because next time i go in the dealership I am not leaving untill they have ordered a whole new rear end from ford sorry to rant.

WOW whats up with that? You towing alot of weight with it? My 07 has been just awesome. Put sever gear in at 4k and Redline 75-140 with additive in at 64K.

It's my expierence from many years working for ford that the techs are the last people you want replacing diff. I had a buddy at a local shop here...Arizona differential teach me and it's much different then what ford teaches.

It's important to allow them to breakin before working them

Never towed ever bought new, I have 36000 on it now and better yet ever time I get it back I wont go on the freeway for the first 75 or so miles I wont even go over 50mph and i vary my speed they claim it is the limited slip.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
budget brakes

Sorry for jumping in here, but somehow those words together don't sound good to my ears. Brakes are just not something to skimp on. My .03$ (inflation
49.gif
) - I would look at the best - typically OEM or close to it, and then look at aftermarket performance brake parts. THEN come down a notch from there. NAPA stuff is good, find out on the Ford truck boards what works best.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
Never towed ever bought new, I have 36000 on it now and better yet ever time I get it back I wont go on the freeway for the first 75 or so miles I wont even go over 50mph and i vary my speed they claim it is the limited slip.

This may be the last thing you want to hear, but:
A limited slip diff (LSD) is a wear part, very sensitive to clutch pack wear, adjustment and lubricant. They are prone to malfunction. Is the LSD your problem area?
If you want a full locking diff get either an ARB air locker (~$1100 + installation), or, if you have 4WD and will use it in any icy situation, either a Lockright (cheaper) or a Detroit Soflocker (unbreakable, preferred).
If you don't care about traction get an open differential. If installed correctly and lube is changed every 50-80K mi, they last a very long time.

Charlie

Rotors are a gamble. Whether a brand name or unabashedly Chinese.
My approach is to get new cheap rotors and the best pads.
Look at the actual part - shoddy holes, rough or uneven surface, cracks, etc..
Of course, clean all the other brake parts and lube them.
Also, a bleed is cheap and is a wonderful thing to do.

is the truck 2wd or 4wd? on the 2wd F150s of that vintage up to a certain build date the rotors, hubs and bearings are one piece and not serviced separately, however the aftermarket might have hub/bearings with slide off rotors.

it is 2wd, yes the limited slip is the problem charlie, and bdcardinal are you saying that the bearings which i know its supposed to be one pieced are not as good quality as oem and i was only gonna buy one piece

i have no experience with the aftermarket offerings. they convert to a more conventional design with a hub/bearing and then a slide on/off rotor. I saw them on Lethal Performance and i think BAER made them.

I helped my brother swap out the pads and rotors on his 2005 (or '06) F150 a year or two ago. I took me 3 trips to Carquest to get the correct size massive socket to fit the spindle nut that allows you to remove the rotor on the late model 2wd F150s. Like bdcardinal says, these rotors have a sealed bearing assembly pressed into them. The whole rotor/bearing assy. slides over a machined turn on the spindle, then you are supposed to replace the huge spindle nut with new. Most owners don't. I always do what mechtech2 suggests. Go with the lowest cost rotors you can find and top end pads/hardware.

Joel

Check out RockAuto.com for pads and rotors. Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic (105.xxx) and Semi-Metallic (104.xxx) pads and premium rotors (120.xxx) are good. Their rotors come with painted hats to prevent corrosion.

The Bendix CT-3 Ceramic pads are also very good.

I just priced the Bendix CT-3 pads and Centric premium rotors and the total came out to $355.

These parts are much better than he Advance Auto Parts deal.

If you go with Centric Pads mentioned above, the deal will be even a bit less as the price is lower than for Bendix pads.

Don't forget to use the 5% discount towards your order that can be found online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Check out RockAuto.com for pads and rotors. Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic (105.xxx) and Semi-Metallic (104.xxx) pads and premium rotors (120.xxx) are good. Their rotors come with painted hats to prevent corrosion.

I just priced the Bendix CT-3 pads and Centric premium rotors and the total came out to $355.

If you go with Centric Pads mentioned above, the deal will be even a bit less as the price is lower than for Bendix pads.

Don't forget to use the 5% discount towards your order that can be found online.

+1 on Centric rotor's and RockAuto seems to have the best prices on them. I had the Centric PosiQuiet pads and they were okay. Not as grabby as stock, but the stock G35 brakes are very good; almost exotic car stopping distances. Next time I will run Centric rotors and stock pads.

Centric owns PowerSlot (high performance rotors) and StopTech (High performance BBK's). I would search Centric in an F150 forum and see if anyone else has them and what pads they are running.

Best bang for the buck are the cheapest pads Autozone sells with the lifetime warrenty.

Yeah, they exchange them for normal wear.

Here you go stx. I forgot about the stamped steel locking collar as well (#9). The spindle nut is a big flanged, Ny-Lock looking nut (#10). Ford recommends replacing them w/ every brake job. The bearing in the rotor is sealed. Not sure what the top left rotor pic is. I put some neverseize or silicone grease on the spindle before sliding the new rotor on. These are expensive rotors.

2008-12-18_172944_N0056656.gif

Joel

Originally Posted By: 5150ds
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

+1 on Centric rotor's and RockAuto seems to have the best prices on them. I had the Centric PosiQuiet pads and they were okay. Not as grabby as stock, but the stock G35 brakes are very good; almost exotic car stopping distances. Next time I will run Centric rotors and stock pads.

Centric owns PowerSlot (high performance rotors) and StopTech (High performance BBK's). I would search Centric in an F150 forum and see if anyone else has them and what pads they are running.

We have a G35 as well and from all the research, it has been concluded that OEM pads provide the best performance in this vehicle.

The OP, can also look at more aggressive pads like the PBR/Axxis Ultimate pads if they are available for the F150. My friend has these on a G35. They are dusty but grab hard.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Here you go stx. I forgot about the stamped steel locking collar as well (#9). The spindle nut is a big flanged, Ny-Lock looking nut (#10). Ford recommends replacing them w/ every brake job. The bearing in the rotor is sealed. Not sure what the top left rotor pic is. I put some neverseize or silicone grease on the spindle before sliding the new rotor on. These are expensive rotors.

2008-12-18_172944_N0056656.gif

Joel

Im gonna say that top left picture is the 4wd setup. the newer 2wd F150s use the more conventional hub/bearing with a slide on/off rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back