Ceramic Brake Recommendation/Preference?

A buddy of mine is looking to change to ceramic brakes on a 2018 VW Jetta. We were talking at a bar last night when he mentioned it to me, so I thought I would get on here and ask if anyone has a preference as to what brand of ceramic brakes they use, or could make a recommendation as to what brand(s) he should look at. He mentioned that his brother suggested Bosch, but that he has read some bad reviews of their ceramic brakes when paired with VW vehicles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whatever the ultimate choice may be, ensure your bud follows the manufacturer's bedding procedure for smooth operation and longevity. Ceramic pads really tend to smoke and stink as you bed them (melt them into the rotor), but it's quite normal and will ensure the best possible performance.

I was initially quite pleased with the powerstop Z36 "towing" pads I installed on my 2011 F150 but they really lack cold weather stopping power and its getting worse as they age. The Akebono's I sprung for on the wife's 2018 are still quite new but have much better cold weather feel.

Whatever the ultimate choice may be, ensure your bud follows the manufacturer's bedding procedure for smooth operation and longevity. Ceramic pads really tend to smoke and stink as you bed them (melt them into the rotor), but it's quite normal and will ensure the best possible performance.

Thanks for the advice! I will let him know.

I try to always get Akebono having worked there many years ago they are very good quality and very consistently perform and wear well. If I was towing heavy loads I would consider semi metallic otherwise Akebono to me are best bang for buck. Not the cheapest nor the most expensive but always perform well and have never been disappointed.

I was initially quite pleased with the powerstop Z36 "towing" pads I installed on my 2011 F150 but they really lack cold weather stopping power and its getting worse as they age. The Akebono's I sprung for on the wife's 2018 are still quite new but have much better cold weather feel.

Thank you! That is good to know. Seeing as how we both live in Northern lower Michigan cold weather performance will be important for him.

I try to always get Akebono having worked there many years ago they are very good quality and very consistently perform and wear well. If I was towing heavy loads I would consider semi metallic otherwise Akebono to me are best bang for buck. Not the cheapest nor the most expensive but always perform well and have never been disappointed.
Glad you like them. My experience is quite differant- Akebonos top performance pads fade, low intial bite and imprint rotors with even deposits leading to vibration. But are smooth, no noise and clean. I guess it depends on your driving style.

A buddy of mine is looking to change to ceramic brakes on a 2018 VW Jetta. We were talking at a bar last night when he mentioned it to me, so I thought I would get on here and ask if anyone has a preference as to what brand of ceramic brakes they use, or could make a recommendation as to what brand(s) he should look at. He mentioned that his brother suggested Bosch, but that he has read some bad reviews of their ceramic brakes when paired with VW vehicles.

Centric Posi-Quiet. You're welcome.

A buddy of mine is looking to change to ceramic brakes on a 2018 VW Jetta. .......what brand of ceramic brakes they use......

I'd suggest to NOT to call them 'ceramic brakes'. This is a ceramic rotor, which the most vital feature of ceramic ceramic brakes:

test22.jpg

Akebono Euro. Personally, I would not allow someone to park in my driveway with those brakes, but people driving Euro cars and worrying more about the appearance of wheels than brake performance really like them.

No need to overthink this. Not a competition application. Been using Wagner Thermo Quiet pads for years in various applications. Excellent stopping power, minimal dust and quiet.

If Bosch makes a QuietCast Ceramic formulation for the car, I would use those before Akebono Euro.

Glad you like them. My experience is quite differant- Akebonos top performance pads fade, low intial bite and imprint rotors with even deposits leading to vibration. But are smooth, no noise and clean. I guess it depends on your driving style.
Ment to say "uneven" deposits

Akebono Euro. Personally, I would not allow someone to park in my driveway with those brakes, but people driving Euro cars and worrying more about the appearance of wheels than brake performance really like them.
They don't grip hard, but they last a long time. For a daily driver I'd get akky-bonos, because they can still lock up tires so your peak braking is the same, they just don't bite hard when you first touch the pedal. For a track car get something else but for your average town cruiser most people probably won't care even if they do notice the difference.

Back