what are some thoughts on toyota 0w-20 oil?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It meets Toyota's requirements better than M1's 0W-20.

???

It's called talking out of your [censored].

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Lots of Moly!

In all likelihood, lots of VIIs too.

Sounds like you're doing some of the same..(talking out of your [censored])

smirk2.gif
Nope. You see, I didn't try to pass off an unfounded opinion as though it were a fact.

Originally Posted By: 454chevy
0w20 oil? If I want to put water in my engine I'll use the garden hose. I'll stick to my 10w40 or 15w50 Thanks.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: 454chevy
0w20 oil? If I want to put water in my engine I'll use the garden hose. I'll stick to my 10w40 or 15w50 Thanks.

What a constructive post. I hope you're a member here for a long time, so you can deliver more golden nuggets like that above.

No proof needed to 'think'. I 'think' this oil will be good in my vehicle. I won't 'know' until I do a UOA, which should be in the very near future. I have 5000km on the oil now. Plan on doing a UOA at 8000km. I am impatient, though, so I might pull a sample a la Blackstone pump and send it off.

Last edited:
Long ago I read Toyota's motor oils had allot of moly inside as part of the anti-friction package for better mileage.

I think they should just offer a synthetic as a standard cuz for extended OCI past the old fashioned 3K services the best mileage figures have come from synthetic oils anyway.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What about a mix, in a 5qt sump you do 3qt 0w40 Rotella, 2qts Toyota 0w20

The permutations and combinations for a mix containing this incredibly high VI Toyota/Honda oil are intriguing. How about in a 4 banger specd for 5W30 do...3 bottles of 0W20 with 1 bottle of GC
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Be careful here - lot's of folks think this Toyota oil will be "good". No proof necessary, naturally.

The proof, good/bad is probably just around the corner. Same for the new Pennzoil Ultra. Very interesting and my guess positive results are just a few short months away. It should be interesting to see the Honda and Toyota offerings go toe to toe with their competition. Many of us anxiously await the results. Ford seems to have nailed it with Motorcraft oil, I'm sure Honda and Toyota nailed it too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Toyota and Honda's 0W20 oils are very interesting to me. What I'm thinking is why a company like Mobil, Pennzoil, Amsoil or even Redline for that matter couldn't offer the better 40C viscosity. It seems these two oils offer better protection while an engine is warming up, and when it reaches operating temps for a 0W20 oil. At least to a novice trying to understand what is going on here.

Makes for some great discussion!

PP has the lowest 40C vis of the oils you mentioned at 42.6 cSt and the highest VI at 175. It has turned in some excellent UOA and is quite shear resistant.
If you don't mind spending big bucks there is another oil with a pretty high VI that has a 40C vis on par with Toyota and Honda and that's Motul's 300V 0W-20. It's 40C vis is 40.1 cSt with a VI of 177 but it's 3 times the cost of Toyota; although you're getting that double ester/PAO chemistry. In Canada it's 5 times the cost of the Toyota brand oil.
I have a friend who uses that Motul grade. The Toyota and Honda brands have certainly got his attention and with that sort of cost saving he's going to try the Toyota oil and possibly the Honda.

I must sound like a broken record, but locally PP 0W20 is nowhere to be found. The Honda and Toyota oils locally run about $75 a case, which is not bad considering the cost of other online oils. I found the Honda oil for about $5.35/qt online, I can't find anyone who sells the Toyota oils online.

Where the three oils, PP, Toyota, and Honda seem to blow the competition away is during warm up, and then again at operating temps. Certainly good things IMO, and has me rethinking my spring oil purchase.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Does anyone have conclusive proof as to who is supplying this oil for Toyota?

CATERHAM should be along shortly to give you the details of his search, far and wide, to obtain this seemingly top secret information
56.gif

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

CATERHAM should be along shortly to give you the details of his search, far and wide, to obtain this seemingly top secret information
56.gif

according to a Toyota memorandum I found that was sent to their dealers before the launch of the 0W20 ENEOS was the supplier.

This is is what I was told about the suppliers. The Honda oil is made at the Idemitsu plant in Jeffersonville Indiana.

The Toyota oil is made at the Nippon Oil Lubricants (America) LLC plant in Childersburg Alabama.

Maybe CATHERAM can shed some light.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

56.gif

according to a Toyota memorandum I found that was sent to their dealers before the launch of the 0W20 ENEOS was the supplier.

Yes you're sort of correct.
The oil is made by Nippon Oil (America) LLC in their formulating plant at Childersburg, Alabama. ENEOS is the brand under which Nippon oil sells their own oil.
Not surprisingly the two oils have very similar formulations.
The good news is that the Toyota oil is considerably less expensive and readily available at every Toyota and Lexus dealer in North America.

The cold viscosity when new is nothing special.
Whats it like after 100 miles? or 1000?

So, initial new data points are meaningless unless you have the used data points to compare to. Pour point isn't commonly measured in a UOA and its retention is unknown.
Would you rather have an oil with a initial pour point of -50 but after 10k miles has a pour point of -20, or an oil with an initial pour point of -35 and after 10k miles a pour point of -33??????

So, the data sheet comparison is meaningless.

The only thing I don't care for the Toyota/Honda 0w20 is the low TBN. Since Toyota requires 5k changes, no need to create a long life oil. API/SAE/ILSAC (SM/J300/GF4) are met. So, you know that you're getting a quality oil regardless of whether it has the Toyota/Honda label or not. But, only a UOA will determine how far you can go.

And, I'm a big fan of moly. Sorry, but all my engines are quieter on higher moly oil. And, if there was an extra .01 mpg, then thats great too! Can't afford Redline all the time and don't care for additives. So, I'm more than willing to thumb my nose at any mixing warnings and use the Honda/Toyota oil as a moly additive for my oils.

If the cost is comparable to what wallyworld has M1 for, then finally an oil is worth buying at the stealership.

Too bad more 0w20's aren't available at local dept or auto-part stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back