What Anti Virus Is Best And Why? CA or Webroot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some indications that Microsoft is going to include AV protection in Windows 8 (supposedly due out in fall of 2012) and call it Windows Defender (but it will be more like Microsoft Security Essentials).

However, a person could still probably install their own AV. Personally I am starting to think seriously about NOD32 Version 5 because in testing I have seen it did very good, and it is fast and does not use a lot of computer resources. I had a problem with Kaspersky recently.

NOD32 has Host Intrusion Prevention System or HIPS, to prevent unauthorized changes to the computer. Sandboxes and HIPS are being recommended more and more for protection. If you go to remove-malware.com there is a test of NOD32 Version 5. Against zero day and near zero day malware it stopped everything except for some file that got into temporary files and apparently was not active malware. The guy who did the testing has 8 years of experience removing malware from computers, plus he does a lot of other work in the computer field.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wpdt2011_1_en.pdf

That's an even better test because it's not just an on demand scan test; it's a real world test utilizing the various proactive features of each product.

And, once again, McAfee is sucking mud. I can't believe how this company has gone down the [censored] only to be used year after year at businesses. McAfee adds 20 seconds to the shutdown, just for starters. It used to be a go-to product but I guess I'm showing my age by saying that.

I thought that McAfee would get better after Intel took over McAfee but it has not happened yet. I don't know how McAfee stays in busines. To be competitive don't they have to at least stay up with everybody else? Who is running McAfee anyway? It seems to me the CEO would not be able to keep his position.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I thought that McAfee would get better after Intel took over McAfee but it has not happened yet. I don't know how McAfee stays in busines. To be competitive don't they have to at least stay up with everybody else? Who is running McAfee anyway? It seems to me the CEO would not be able to keep his position.

Its easiest for many people as its included when they buy the computer. Most people think an AV is an AV just like they think brake pads are brake pads.

Last edited:
I can't believe that people pay money for antivirus software on a windows machine. Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best out there and free.

Everyone's personal computer that I work on comes loaded up with Norton or Mcafee and they paid big bucks for it. They call me and ask why so slow?

I get rid of it and the computer is usually 30-40 percent faster.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

You are willing to pay $214.95 annually for home anti-virus protection (NOD32)?

Tip: A couple times a year Newegg has a 3-license NOD32 deal at around $10/machine/year. That's when to stock up. You stash the keys away for later activation. They work on any later version. The disks in the box make nice coasters.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I can't believe that people pay money for antivirus software on a windows machine. Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best out there and free.

Everyone's personal computer that I work on comes loaded up with Norton or Mcafee and they paid big bucks for it. They call me and ask why so slow?

MSE doesn't load the system because it barely protects it. I just had to disinfect a friend's machine running it. If you have no money, it's better than nothing. But for free, you get what you pay for.

Not that brands M or S are detection champs, and I agree, they are still resource hogs.

Dependable self-updating AV-ASW protection typically costs. Quality code vendors aren't working for free.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: JustinH

MSE doesn't load the system because it barely protects it. I just had to disinfect a friend's machine running it. If you have no money, it's better than nothing. But for free, you get what you pay for.

Not that brands M or S are detection champs, and I agree, they are still resource hogs.

Dependable self-updating AV-ASW protection typically costs. Quality code vendors aren't working for free.

Actually it also depends on what type of user you are. If you are proactive about minding where you click and which sites you visit, which e mails attachments you open, then you don't need the absolute best AV suite out there. YOU the user, are the most important part of preventing viruses and malware.

MSE is great for the proactive user, NOT for those that click anywhere, download anything, and open all e mail attachments.

Actually AVG is supposed to be one of the very best free AV suites.

Originally Posted By: vwthingman
IMHO I would stay away from those and go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a great all in one package, and gets high reviews from sources like CNET and Maximum PC. Plus it's made by the same folks who wrote your operating system. I have been using it for years with no problems. I have had Norton and it is a resource hog in my opinion.
I second everything in this post............

I run MSE on my PC and my parents...been using it for over a year now and no malware has been detected, I also run MBAM stand alone scanner periodically to double check.

Two best things to have today on your PC a decent AV suite and a good stand alone scanner like Malwarebytes.org.

Try putting ubuntu linux on a machine and see how you like it. No antivirus protection needed, and you can run google chrome or firefox. Anyone running XP should get rid of it and put Linux on there just for security purposes alone.

@JustinH:

I always was interested in linux or Ubuntu mint...but I hear that there are constant issues with getting the drivers to work properly or finding the correct drivers ...any comment about this? I'd prefer to use Ubuntu Mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back