What additive should I try?

Just changed the oil on my 66 barracuda with a 273 V8. I used Chevron supreme 10 W – 40. I need to add half quart more but instead of opening a new container of oil I thought I might try an additive instead. Any suggestions?

If I was going to use an additive it would be 'Rislone' which is available at WM for $6.34 and is 16.9 ounces. It should help clean up the seals and the 'ringpack' area in your 58 year old Plymouth.

None!

It is almost a sure thing that any additive will not compliment the motor oil you have selected, but rather, reduce the effectiveness of the additives that are already in the motor oil.

The chances that any motor oil additive will have the same add pack formulation as the motor oil are almost zero. So any motor oil additive is most likely going to dilute some components, and may have excessively high levels of other components, thus throwing off the careful balance that was engineered into the Chevron Supreme that you just filled your engine with.

Our resident lubrication experts can explain it better, but as you may have already known from your years here on BITOG, those in the know here do not recommend using motor oil additives.

I was just going to open another bottle of Chevron and pour in half a quart but sometimes it’s fun to experiment or see what others think. That’s why I love BITOG
I have read dozens of articles on oil additives but it’s still fun to come back for more

I was just going to open another bottle of Chevron and pour in half a quart but sometimes it’s fun to experiment or see what others think. That’s why I love BITOG
I have read dozens of articles on oil additives but it’s still fun to come back for more
I kind of wondered, considering your time here on BITOG, if you were just poking the bear.

Like others, I'm not a fan of oil additives. Instead, if cleaning is desired, purchase an oil designed for that purpose. If higher viscosity is desired, purchase 20W-50. And so on.

However, I must add that there have been times in the distant past, where my oil pressure was very low due to oil shearing, and STP allowed a trip to continue without delay.

Like others, I'm not a fan of oil additives. Instead, if cleaning is desired, purchase an oil designed for that purpose. If higher viscosity is desired, purchase 20W-50. And so on.
Remember, back in the 80s, at Daytona, when "they" were pouring Mobil 1 in yellow bottles? 🤣

I guess the real question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Reduced wear? Seal restoration?

Modern oils are lightyears ahead of what was available when that Cuda was made.

I guess the real question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Reduced wear? Seal restoration?

Modern oils are lightyears ahead of what was available when that Cuda was made.
There are some oil drips from leaky seals/gaskets but nothing major and I have learned to live with them

There are some oil drips from leaky seals/gaskets but nothing major and I have learned to live with them

I have had great results from AT205. It will dilute your oil, though (to what extent and what end could be debated forever. But it absolutely rejuvinates seals)

High Mileage motor oil also has seal conditioner if you haven't tried that, yet.

I have had great results from AT205. It will dilute your oil, though (to what extent and what end could be debated forever. But it absolutely rejuvinates seals)

High Mileage motor oil also has seal conditioner if you haven't tried that, yet.
All mainstream auto engine oil has seal conditioner.

If I was going to use an additive it would be 'Rislone' which is available at WM for $6.34 and is 16.9 ounces. It should help clean up the seals and the 'ringpack' area in your 58 year old Plymouth.
That should be used prior to the oil change, not immediately after.

Back