What 5W-20 Synthetic Oil....quiet vs noisy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the 5W-20's you have run.. which have you found to cause the most and/or least noise from the engine?

Oil filters too...noise on start-up?

Last edited:
I've run Motorcraft and QSHP. They are both quiet right after the oil change, but the QSHP is quieter throughout the OCI.

I've only used MC filters. My experience has been that there are several instances of start-up rattle right after an oil change that gradually goes away with each successive start (up to 10 starts). It is as if the silicone ADBV on this filter needs engine operating temperatures and oil flow to eventually seat. I wonder if it is because on MC filters, the ADBV is on top of the bypass. I want to try a Wix to test this theory on the next oil change. Anyone else have the same experience with this filter brand also?

I ran PP and Synpower 5W20 and M1 0W20 in '00 E430 spec'ed 0W40. Of the 3 XW20 oils, the engine is quietest with PP 5W20. But the engine is much quieter than M1 0W40 with all 3 XW20 oils.

If I can find PP 0W20 at local stores I will use it.

Of the 5W-20s I've used...

Least noise: Red Line 5W-20
Most noise: Mobil 1 5W-20

Platinum and Ultra split the difference between those two in my 4.6s.

Regarding startup noise with Motorcraft filters, I've never experienced this one single time and I've been running them exclusively for the last 4-5 years. Before that I ran a mix of Mobil 1, K&N, and Motorcraft filters. I experienced a cold start engine noise with the M1 filter twice, IIRC.

Are you priming your oil system after an oil change (clear flood mode)? Although even if you don't that still wouldn't explain start up noise for 10 startups. You've got me.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Both Duratechs are very quite on M1 5-20EP.

You'll never know if they are as quiet as can be until you try something else.
grin2.gif

I was never concerned with engine noise when I was running M1 exclusively either, but then I tried PP in '06 and experienced a definite improvement in 3 different engines... and one of them was a 3.0L Duratec.

The 4V went from M1 5W-20 to PP 5W-30, quieted down noticeably, went from using more the 1/2 quart over 5K to 0.
The F150 went from M1EP 5W-30 to PP 5W-30, quieted down noticeably and went from using more than 1/2 quart over 6K to 0.
Mom's Freestyle went from M1 5W-20 to PP 5W-20, quieted down noticeably, used 0 with both oils.

Castrol Syntec 5w20 Most noisy, Mobil 1 5w20 Second noisy, MC 5w20 very quiet, PYB 5w20 most quiet in my Merc 4.6. All using MC FL820S filter

For 5w20 I've ran Castrol dino and syn blend, PP, PYB, Kendall, Valvoline dino and Synpower, M1, QS. I did no notice in noise in any of them.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

grin2.gif

I was never concerned with engine noise when I was running M1 exclusively either, but then I tried PP in '06 and experienced a definite improvement in 3 different engines... and one of them was a 3.0L Duratec.

The 4V went from M1 5W-20 to PP 5W-30, quieted down noticeably, went from using more the 1/2 quart over 5K to 0.
The F150 went from M1EP 5W-30 to PP 5W-30, quieted down noticeably and went from using more than 1/2 quart over 6K to 0.
Mom's Freestyle went from M1 5W-20 to PP 5W-20, quieted down noticeably, used 0 with both oils.

Both engines are so quite you can hardly hear them when outside. In fact all the engines I have ever used M1 in have been very quite. I actually do know when an engine is quite, as do the many family and friends that have started using M1 oils. Not one of many ever noticed an engine running with more noise. I never heard of any noise complants with M1 oils until I discovered BITOG.
21.gif
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

grin2.gif

Both engines are so quite you can hardly hear them when outside. In fact all the engines I have ever used M1 in have been very quite. I actually do know when an engine is quite, as do the many family and friends that have started using M1 oils. Not one of many ever noticed an engine running with more noise. I never heard of any noise complants with M1 oils until I discovered BITOG.
21.gif
crazy2.gif

I'm not talking about just external noise, although that was improved as well, but in car noise under load.

You'll never really know until you try something else.
21.gif

I'll be honest with you, it never occured to me to try other oils. Haven't had a reason to. Over the years I have grown to trust M1, to give me very clean and long lasting engines. I'm not sure any oil will do more than that for me. Just my experience.
19.gif

Last edited:
I have no problem with M1, it served me well for a long time resulting in some very clean high mileage engines. I've just come to realize I prefer a few other oils.

Since we are on the M1 topic, i ran various grades of M1 in my 01 blazer for 175000 miles. Mostly the 5w30 SUV and regular 5w30. I averaged 7500 mile oil changes with the longest being about 9k and the shortest about 6K. At 175K i had a lifter start sticking and found my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking antifreeze into the oil. I tore it apart and found a black layer of gunk covering the engine. It was not terrible but definitely there. This of course had nothing to do with the oil. After fixing it and running a few flushes of ST10w30 through it, i put QSHP in it thinking ill use the cheap synthetic for a while then switch back to the M1. Well im not going to be going back to the M1 because the QS and PP products make the engine sound so much nicer. i cant really say if it runs smoother but i think it does, but it could just sound nicer. Either way im not sure which one protects better but i like the sound of the QS and PP. I tried QSHP 5w20 in it last winter and i swear it was as nice as the 5w30 and i like the way it runs when it is cold better so i put the 5w20 in it again and even this summer i am very pleased with the engine. I did loose about 3 psi hot oil pressure going to the 5w20 but i dont think it is an issue.

I could be wrong but I thought the shop oil used at a Mazda dealer ran quieter than when I switched to Mobil 5w30. Not too scientific as I'm not completely sure and I didn't have another car close by to compare to.

The only startup noise I've noticed on my Honda was from a P1 filter with a faulty ADBV. The car just doesn't seem to care if it's a HAMP, M1, Wix, Baldwin, or whatever brand oil filter on there.

OTOH, different oils have different sound characteristics in the Civic, especially above 4K RPM. I suspect this has nothing to do with the oil's effectiveness as a lubricant. Here's the list anyway, from quietest to noisiest, as best I can make it.

Amsoil 0w-20
PP 5w-20
SynPower 5w-20
SynPower 0w-20
QS Syn 5w-20
M1 5w-20 EP
Syntec 5w-20
M1 5w-20
M1 0w-20

PP and M1EP are tied for the quietest 5w20 I've ever ran. Curiously, M1 0w20 seemed to be the loudest.

The 2.3 is pretty smooth and quiet no matter what so its only noticeable under hard acceleration.

Originally Posted By: ScottG
I could be wrong but I thought the shop oil used at a Mazda dealer ran quieter than when I switched to Mobil 5w30. Not too scientific as I'm not completely sure and I didn't have another car close by to compare to.

Same thing happened with me. On a hunch, I tried Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 since the Mazda dealer uses Pennzoil Dino oils.

Definitely quieter than the Mobil1 0w-20 and 5w-20 which I was faithfully using for 4 years and 65,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back