We've Reached the Bottom of the Rabbit Hole: What Would You Buy?

What I don't understand is why anyone should give a rat's patoot what filter I choose and then waste time judging my choice and posting critical comments about.

Get a life ... sheesh!
@Shel_B it seems odd that you'd post comments to an internet bulletin board and then complain when people respond respectfully to your comments. But you do you I guess.

The fact the the TRD filter has different features and performance characteristics is both true and irrelevant. If he feels he needs those extra features that's fine. But let's not pretend a TRD filter is needed for a successful ownership experience.
Nobody ever said or claimed it was needed. It's still legal in the USA to buy and use what you want. 😄 If someone wants to use a better filtering and constructed oil filter, then who cares. I like using efficient oil filters, but I could care less if someone doesn't ... I wouldn't even care if someone blocked off the oil filter mount and didn't use any oil filter for 15K OCIs. :ROFLMAO:

Nobody ever said or claimed it was needed. It's still legal in the USA to buy and use what you want.
Agreed.

😄 If someone wants to use a better filtering and constructed oil filter, then who cares.
Agreed.

In no way, shape, or form was i stating he should not use it.
I was merely pointing out that it is a choice based on feelings and not a requirement or need, nor is it a product that will result in any appreciable improvement over the OEM specification. Remember, this is in the context of an 11 year old Camry.

I wouldn't even care if someone blocked off the oil filter mount and didn't use any oil filter for 15K OCIs. :ROFLMAO:
Great. You do you.

In no way, shape, or form was i stating he should not use it.
I was merely pointing out that it is a choice based on feelings and not a requirement or need, nor is it a product that will result in any appreciable improvement over the OEM specification. Remember, this is in the context of an 11 year old Camry.
You may not realize it ... but you do sound like you care that he's using it and it would make you feel better if he didn't and just used the Toyota OE filter. You come across like you are trying to make the decision on what he should use on his car.

You may not realize it ... but you do sound like you care that he's using it and it would make you feel better if he didn't and just used the Toyota OE filter. You come across like you are trying to make the decision on what he should use on his car.
LOLOL, you're projecting.
I merely stated he's making a choice based on feelings.
Not sure why that's tough to comprehend.
How about let's stop bickering?!?

Last edited:
LOLOL, you're projecting.
I merely stated he's making a choice based on feelings.
How about let's stop bickering.
Not projecting ... go back and read what you've said. I already said there is a technical reason ... regardless if you understand that or not. Saying they don't "need" it and it's just "feelings" is essentially telling them what choice to make based on your feelings. They can make up their own mind based on all the information discussed by members.

Saying they don't "need" it and it's just "feelings" is essentially telling them what choice to make based on your feelings. They can make up their own mind based on all the information discussed by members.
I respectfully disagree.
Lots of choices are made based on feelings. Other choices are made based on need.
People make feelings based choices all the time and that's OK. This is just another example of an OK choice based on feelings.

Please stop splitting hairs. I have been consistent in my posts throughout the thread.

Let's also not forget that @Shel_B's application here is a 2011 Camry 2.5 which is hardly anything exotic or special. He's just making his selection because it makes him feel better, which is completely his prerogative.

I'm just trying to note that there is absolutely zero technical justification for his choice, but feelings are important.
Like already said ... there are technical reasons, regardless if you understand them or not. I and many others would make the same decision based on the same technical reasons.

I respectfully disagree.
Lots of choices are made based on feelings. Other choices are made based on need.
People make feelings based choices all the time and that's OK. This is just another example of an OK choice based on feelings.

Please stop splitting hairs. I have been consistent in my posts throughout the thread.

See above also ^^^. Who cares if anyone makes decisions based on feelings? Do you? ... you sure seem to because you keep trying to justify your posts. You seem upset because he is using an oil filter you wouldn't if given the same choice. When you own everyone's cars, then you can decide what they should or shouldn't use.

When you own everyone's cars, then you can decide what they should or shouldn't use.
I'm not deciding anything here.
I'm merely pointing out that @Shel_B's choice is feelings based and not based on the requirements of the vehicle.

I'm done here.
Have a great evening and weekend!
Cheers!!!

I'm merely pointing out that @Shel_B's choice is feelings based and not based on the requirements of the vehicle.
Who cares beside you if he or anyone else makes decisions based on feeling? And what exactly are the defined "requirements of the vehicle"? Ever consider or realize that he's making the decision for his vehicle with his money, based on what he want's in requirements for the oil filter for his vehicle?

When there are laws that don't allow anyone to chose alternative oil filters anymore, then I guess only basic OEM oil filters will the choice and nobody will have to make any more decisions based on "feelings". 😄

Just curious ... what are the oil filter requirements for my car? What does the manual say? What do the engineers require?
This is a really good question.
Without the Toyota design specs we can't really know for sure.
But in the engineering world we confront these circumstances all the time.
When we perform a competitive product analysis, we may not know what the competitors specs are but we can make observations based on the product that the competitor produces.

So let's make two simple observations of the Toyota OEM cartridge filters.
1. Conventional media
2. No end caps

Based on these two observations, we can conclude that these design elements are appropriate. We can bolster this conclusion by observing the number of units in operation (installed base) and look for the number of failures in operation.

Toyota cartridge filters have little to no history of wide scale failure in operation.
Therefore we conclude that the design elements (conventional media and lack of end caps) are appropriate for the application.

As I said previously to @ZeeOSix,
I'm done here.
Cheers!!!

When we perform a competitive product analysis, we may not know what the competitors specs are but we can make observations based on the product that the competitor produces.

1. Conventional media
2. No end caps

Based on these two observations, we can conclude that these design elements are appropriate. We can bolster this conclusion by observing the number of units in operation (installed base) and look for the number of failures in operation.

Toyota cartridge filters have little to no history of wide scale failure in operation.
Therefore we conclude that the design elements (conventional media and lack of end caps) are appropriate for the application.

I'm done here.
Cheers!!!
Yada Yada Yada ...

You, in post #49 said: "... not based on the requirements of the vehicle." So, what are the requirements of the vehicle? Where are those requirements written?

Where in the Toyota manual, or anywhere, is it written that it is a requirement to use an oil filter with no end caps, of particular media material, or that it must be the same filter that Toyota sells OTC at the dealership, or that was installed on the car at the factory?

Yada Yada Yada ...

You, in post #49 said: "... not based on the requirements of the vehicle." So, what are the requirements of the vehicle? Where are those requirements written?

Where in the Toyota manual, or anywhere, is it written that it is a requirement to use an oil filter with no end caps, of particular media material, or that it must be the same filter that Toyota sells OTC at the dealership, or that was installed on the car at the factory?

Cmon @Shel_B, I already said:
I'm done here.
Cheers!!!
Let's talk on Monday.
Have a great weekend.

So you don't really know, but you seem to be making up your own "requirements" for an "appropriate" oil filter. Hummm ... :unsure:

1. Conventional media
2. No end caps

We? No ... that's what you think is appropriate. What you think is appropriate only applies to you. Everyone else decides what they think is appropriate ... you know, based on "feelings" just like the feelings you used to come up with this conclusion.

Yeah, and so do 99.9999% of all the other filters in the world. Is that what you use to determine if a filter is appropriate for everyone else, or just you?

I'm done here.
You keep saying this, but it doesn't happen. I highly doubt this thread will still be "open" on Monday. 😄

I respectively disagree, there is no bottom of the fabled rabbit hole(s), filtration, lubrication etc.

I've settled on Fram Ultra & Microgard Select. The only "better" options I'm aware of are Amsoil or Royal Purple and both of those are cost prohibitive and would have to be ordered. In the truck I use either Fleetguard or Donaldson.

Back