Westward Industries Go-4 Interceptor, Unknown Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't know what a Go-4 Interceptor is, it's a 3-wheeled vehicle made by the Canadian company Westward Industries, that is used as a parking enforcement (Meter Maid) or security vehicle. Mine uses the 1.3l engine and 3-speed automatic transmission as a Ford Festiva (the 2 rear wheels are the drive wheels and is the same as the front suspension setup as the Festiva.) The current production Go-4's are using a 1.0L and 4-speed automatic Hyundai engine/tranny combo. Here is a picture from the Craigslist ad before I bought it:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/549323_10152636290870223_118361483_n.jpg

Mine is a 1997 model, which was bought by the previous owner in 2006 from a surplus auction. The previous owner used it on his property as a farm get-around vehicle (and don't know how much he drove it aside from that). A year ago he fell ill and passed away, and I purchased it from his estate and proceeded to drive it 140 miles home on I-5 (which was a fun and frightening experience!)
lol.gif
Didn't have any maintenance records, so beginning to go over everything. First on the list was an oil change... There was a service window cling on the windshield that said "Next Service Due: 79,779". When I bought it, it had 79,200ish. The kicker is, the window sticker said "79,779 or 4/3/06"!... Happy that it hadn't blown up on me yet, I got the unknown oil out (taking a sample for a UOA) and was happy at least to see that it had a Wix filter (which I cut open, no pictures, and it definitely had good amount of stuff in the pleats and the filter had held up well)! I put in some Delo 400 10w30 and put on an identical Napa Gold filter.

Next on my to-do list as far as fluids goes is figuring out my fluctuating fuel gauge (was showing almost empty and still had 4 gallons in the tank?!), so I'll be replacing the in-line fuel filter, the in-tank "sock" filter and see if that helps. Otherwise it's either a fuel pressure regulator or an in-tank level indicator issue (hopefully!) I also plan to flush the cooling system with GM Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner (which I've had great success with in the past and also change the thermostat and convert it to Zerex G-04), drain the transaxle and replace the filter and unknown fluid with Redline Oil D4 and change the brake fluid. I changed out the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the PCV valve and plan to changed the spark plugs, wires and 02 sensor.

And with that, here's the initial UOA. I'm going to do 2 or 3 changes with the Delo and then get another UOA to see how it is.

Go-4_Interceptor_Oil_Analysis_Original_Edited_1_zps28ebca91.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see there is another person with a 3 wheel vehicle on this forum. I own a '94 Cushman Police Truckster (a former NYPD meter maid vehicle).

My Cushman has a 3 cylinder, 850cc, Daihatsu engine that sports a healthy 27 hp. It is one of the few with a 3 speed automatic transmission. It has 15,000 miles on it. I'm told, that it patrolled Yankee Stadium in a former life, as a parking enforcement vehicle - but I can't confirm it.

You are doing the right thing using Delo 10W30 oil and Red Line D4, instead of a generic 10W30. If it were mine, I would use a 5W40 for better cold start up performance. My thinking was " new engine, trans and rear end parts will cost and arm and a leg, on this thing." So I went the overkill method - if some is good, then too much is just enough." I'm using Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 oil from my stash as well as Dexron VI transmission fluid. I then proceed to rev this engine the governor stops it at 40 mph (without any parts breaking). Some other owners take the govenor off and hit 55 mph.

Have fun and enjoy!

I'm a fan of HDEO's and use the Delo in all my family's vehicles that 10w30 is acceptable in. The governor has definitely been changed on my Go-4, I drove it 50mph on my test drive and was surprised to see I was up to 70mph going down a hill on I-5...
crazy2.gif
I'm using it as my daily commuter, so I definitely want it to be up-to-date maintenance wise, run the best it can and to last! I haven't used D4 yet, but I've used Redline MTL in my Saab and past F-150 and really liked it. I also plan to put D4 in my LLV's transmission in the near future also.

I'd been wanting to get one for quite a few years and now was just the right time to find one. I had looked at Vansters and Go-4's, but chose the Interceptor for the fact it had to Festiva drivetrain and 13" wheels (the small Cushman wheels would get swallowed whole by some of the potholes on the streets I drive!)

These Go-4's and 3 wheel Cushmans are a lot of fun to pilot for those of us who enjoy a sense of adventure - who can't afford Corvettes.

The only thing I would trade mine for is a 3 wheel Italian Piaggio Ape. If you go to YouTube and search "Piaggio Ape" and "Piaggio Ape racing", you will see some of our European friends highly modifying these vehicles. When you corner these vehicles too fast, they pick up the inside wheel, just like a male dog lifting his leg to pee. When I start to corner my Cushman too fast, there is a bar along side the front wheel that drags the ground - too prevent it the Cushman from flipping over. (Quite impressive to see all the sparks it makes at night!) In fact, I saw some guys ice racing Piaggio Apes on an frozen oval course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back