We's gettin' Cable! YAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it identifies itself to the operating system whereas non PNP cards don't like a BOCA Sound/Modem card for example.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Although I'm curious why a card that says "Plug and Play" on it has all those jumpers...

Because back then the PCs don't always support plug and play, and those who do are not that reliable, and most "geeks" optimize their IRQ so they work better (no crowding of all devices into a single IRQ).

IMO only in 97-98 and the rise of PCI did the PnP gets to be reliable. The system that mixed PnP and legacy IRQ/DMA systems never worked quite right.

Now if you have a jumper on your component, you will expect a huge percentage of warranty claims and returns because people would miss a jumper or poke around, and render them unusable.

If you peeled that "YES" sticker off, it had a UMC logo under it. Nearly all the cheap ISA NE2000 clones in the mid-90s used that same UMC chip..

Yessir, IIRC, D-Link used the UMC chip as well on their ISA cards.

I have a 3COM 509 here somewhere with Coax, TP and AUI on it!

I also have a non-PNP ISA AMD NIC with AUI and TP on it.

Man there were a proliferation of NE2000 compatible NIC's back then, IIRC, the Realtek 8029 was one as well.

Although I'm curious why a card that says "Plug and Play" on it has all those jumpers...

I had an old Sound Blaster 16 that was jumper-city, yet also proclaimed itself to be PNP. In fact, one of the jumper settings was the ability to DISABLE PNP!

It had a SIMM slot on it too, and of course Creative's proprietary CD-ROM connector.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I had an old Sound Blaster 16 that was jumper-city, yet also proclaimed itself to be PNP. In fact, one of the jumper settings was the ability to DISABLE PNP!

It had a SIMM slot on it too, and of course Creative's proprietary CD-ROM connector.

I though that was either a SCSI or IDE connector that cannot be used with hard-drive, but can be used with all CDROM.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I though that was either a SCSI or IDE connector that cannot be used with hard-drive, but can be used with all CDROM.

Nope, it was neither.

Try using a standard ATAPI CD-ROM on one and let me know how you make out
wink.gif

I remember having an ISA card that had the option of Creative, Mitsumi and SONY CD-ROM jumper settings on it.

I remember having an ISA card that had the option of Creative, Mitsumi and SONY CD-ROM jumper settings on it.

I see. The one I got back then was probably the 2nd generation unit that has standardized to SCSI, the one that came with my kit (for the 486) was an NEC 3x SCSI unit.

It's all coming back now.

SCSI was available at the same time IIRC, it was just more money.

When we got into the 4x drive era, IDE CD-ROM drives became (more) common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
(no crowding of all devices into a single IRQ).

With very few exceptions, ISA does not support IRQ sharing...so devices crowded into a single IRQ with ISA wouldn't work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back