We's gettin' Cable! YAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we watched the bulldozers, trench diggers and cable guys drive up/down and tear up sections of our Rural Road over February/March. So Finally is peaked my interest back in March to ask them what was going on.

The guy tells me that they didn't have the rights from the CRTC to have the Microwave Internet antennas in this area and that they have to remove them by August 1, 2009. In fear of loosing my High Speed internet in this rural area I asked him what they were doing about it.

They told me that since the areas around us in each direction has Cable that they were going to wire our section (6 Houses in 2 KM) with cable so they could get us all off the Microwave internet.

So I get a call yesterday that the system is in place and they are going to offer me 6 Months FREE service on any service I take. We signed up for the TV, Internet, Home Phone!
shocked2.gif

They are giving us a Panasonic Cordless phone for free, and they are swapping all our Satelite boxes for equal boxes of theirs. I paid the difference for the HD box to upgrade it to a dual-tuner PVR.
20.gif

I can't wait for them to come tomorrow afternoon... The internet will be worth just the switch because the guy on the phone told me that because our area is so far out they ran FIBER to the junction point so our speeds back to the station will be superior.

My speed now will go from 1 MPS/256K to 8 MPS/2 MPS!
20.gif

I can't wait!!!!!
grin2.gif

Whats more is that I was used to this speed a couple years ago when I lived in the city and I miss it a lot, especially connecting via VPN from a hotel etc. when away for work.

Also it will be nice to watch TV and surf the Net when we are having a bad storm, whereas now we loose everything due to the high winds shaking our TV tower and all the equipment attached to it so there is nothing to do.
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

uh oh, your going to be have the most posts on BITOG in 6 months.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Nice but I'd let them keep their TV service. We had a similar situation as you about 18 months ago. No cable, no dsl, nothing but line of site internet service from a tower.

We switched to the triple play from Comcast after being on Dish Network for 3 years. I couldn't believe comcast still had analog channels and their moto cable DVR sucked. I never canceled my Dish service and returned the moto box to Comcast after like 3 days.

I kept their internet and phone and have been quite satisfied with those products.

OP is in canada and as I understand it Bell satellite is way more sucky... so much so that many "smuggle" directv up.

We could get DirectTV from my friends in Kentucky, but there is no Canadian news etc. on it. When it was easy to crack the cards, we used to have it all the time. I miss those days.

As for Welcome to 2009... I know... We can put a man on the moon but we can't get HSI in the country? Pa-LEEEESE
LOL.gif

Mountain Cable has won the local Readers-Choice awards up here year after year. Their service on the phone with me when I had billing/technical problems with my internet has been superb! They also are talked about highly by our friends in the area so I feel confident in going with them.

There is no contract, and Starchoice isn't collecting the receivers or dish back because I own it, so I can switch at anytime.
wink.gif

Very nice!!

Good luch with it. Your going to REALLY like the speed.

I just hope they do not try to charge you to death after the first 6 mo.

I made sure I knew how much my total bill was going to be after the 6 months is over... The guy was like "well I think it's this much..." Then I told him, no tell me if I was a new customer and he put me on hold and came back with a total and the breakdown.

It's all good... and I don't know if I can sleep tonight in anticipation!
LOL.gif

So my cable is in and I'm surfing again, and it's FREAKIN' FAST!!!!!

I'm super impressed. The downloads are great. I was downloading from Microsoft SP3 at 1.2 MegaBytes / Second!!!!!!

20.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
So my cable is in and I'm surfing again, and it's FREAKIN' FAST!!!!!

I'm super impressed. The downloads are great. I was downloading from Microsoft SP3 at 1.2 MegaBytes / Second!!!!!!

20.gif

You are about to find out that internet speed is just like drugs. You get a big rush when you get a faster connection, then pretty soon that just seems normal and you want more.

You can never go back without severe withdrawal problems.

I have been there once... When I moved from the city to the country and I had to downgrade to dial up for a few months until we found the wireless internet that we just traded from to cable...

Was absolute he-ll!
grin2.gif

Dude, I had OC3 access at school. Nothing I've had since even comes close to comparing. 13MB/sec downloads........

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Dude, I had OC3 access at school. Nothing I've had since even comes close to comparing. 13MB/sec downloads........
20.gif

I would give my left --- for that!
LOL.gif
Not my right one though, He and I are very fond of each other.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That would have had to be from a server connected with gigabit. Most are still connected with 10 and 100 meg, per a friend of mine who works at a large server hosting facility.

My Cable Modem is connected to my router at 100mps Full Duplex whereas the one I had hooked up to my Microwave Wireless antenna was only 10mps.

I'm getting 14mbps downloads with Comcast these days (roughly 1.4 megabytes/second). My old router was only 10mbps. It died one day. I'm glad it did, because I replaced it with a Linux router (with a 100mpbs interface) and I got greatly improved speed.

In order to get 13 megabytes/second, you need something faster than 100mpbs.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I'm getting 14mbps downloads with Comcast these days (roughly 1.4 megabytes/second). My old router was only 10mbps. It died one day. I'm glad it did, because I replaced it with a Linux router (with a 100mpbs interface) and I got greatly improved speed.

In order to get 13 megabytes/second, you need something faster than 100mpbs.

It was all fibre. Went from the UNI to CA*NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back