Need help with selecting new internet service....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the scoop- I live in Manheim, PA, which is served by one phone company- Windstream. I have their DSL and it's terrible. Their DSL box blocks all wireless routers until you pay $300 for a guy to come out and put one of their routers in. Their customer service sucks, the internet constantly goes down, and it's quite slow most of the time. I tried to get Verizon or even Net Zero, but none of them can access town since Windstream owns all the lines. They can't even "ping" our line or anything- Windstream has a complete block on all other internet and phone services in their monopoly markets. I don't have cable, so that's not really an option to get cable internet (I think???). What are other ways of getting decent internet without paying a ton of money each month? I'm stumped but want to switch!

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
Here's the scoop- I live in Manheim, PA, which is served by one phone company- Windstream. I have their DSL and it's terrible. Their DSL box blocks all wireless routers until you pay $300 for a guy to come out and put one of their routers in. Their customer service sucks, the internet constantly goes down, and it's quite slow most of the time. I tried to get Verizon or even Net Zero, but none of them can access town since Windstream owns all the lines. They can't even "ping" our line or anything- Windstream has a complete block on all other internet and phone services in their monopoly markets. I don't have cable, so that's not really an option to get cable internet (I think???). What are other ways of getting decent internet without paying a ton of money each month? I'm stumped but want to switch!

I have Windstream, and I have no idea what "DSL box" you are referring to. When I previously had their Speedstream modem, I hooked up a Netgear router with no trouble. I now have their Sagem modem which is also a wireless router, which they swapped out at no charge. There is a dedicated support forum for WS at dslreports.com Perhaps you could get some assistance there.

Did they require the MAC address of the network card when you signed up for service? It's about the only way that ISP's limit what you connect.

If so, check your router settings. You can probably "Enable MAC address cloning" and get past that limitation.

Can't help with the service. Satellite is slow and has caps. Cable may be your option.

Ethangsmth, I used to be a customer of Sauder's Chevrolet in Manheim for many years. Has this been sold? If so, are the same mechanics still there? I thought their lead mechanic Larry was probably the most competent and honest man in the auto repair business! Sorry for hijacking the thread but the Manheim, PA was too tempting!

Thanks for all the input guys! To answer the questions:

----What I am referring to when I say "DSL box" is my modem. It's an old "Speedtouch" that was given to me by D&E Telephone, which Windstream bought a few years ago. I've had 2 or 3 different "computer geeks" look at my system, the modem, and my various routers I have, and none of them could get any of the routers to work. When you hook one of the wireless routers to the modem, the modem instantly stops communication and the little green lights go out on it, indicating it has blocked internet service. My computer and my wife's computer will always communicate easily with the routers I have purchased, but the routers can't ever work with the junky DSL modem I have. I often wonder if the modem is the problem????

----Sauder Chevy is now owned by Hondru- the same franchise that owns the Ford dealer across the creek. I don't know of any shake-ups in employment so I'm sure your friend is still there!

Last edited:

----What I am referring to when I say "DSL box" is my modem. It's an old "Speedtouch" that was given to me by D&E Telephone, which Windstream bought a few years ago. I've had 2 or 3 different "computer geeks" look at my system, the modem, and my various routers I have, and none of them could get any of the routers to work. When you hook one of the wireless routers to the modem, the modem instantly stops communication and the little green lights go out on it, indicating it has blocked internet service. My computer and my wife's computer will always communicate easily with the routers I have purchased, but the routers can't ever work with the junky DSL modem I have. I often wonder if the modem is the problem????

I would definitely try asking for an upgrade to a new modem. Be nice about it and you might even get it for free. If they give you any grief, ask the WS techs at dslreports.com for help. They've been very good about assisting me.

look into cable internet, you don't have to get cable tv to get it, call them on the phone, alot of cable internet companies have cheaper budget/basic plans that they don't advertise on their website

ethangsmith, are you saying you don't have cable at your house, or that cable isn't available in your area? Most cable companies, including the one I work for, offer internet-only service.

Yes, cable is available to my house and I even have the wiring for it into the house, as far as I know.

As for bridge mode on the modem, I can't do ANYTHING with this modem. It has a generic install disc that installs the modem and all the other stuff and just makes it run. You can't change any settings or anything like that. We own the modem, it's not a rental so I wonder if I could get a newer, more friendly one. This one is from 2006.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I have cable internet without cable.

Same here, cable internet without cable TV.

Both the telco and cable co are monopolies. You only get the choose the lesser evil in your town.
wink.gif
Our telco is Windstream too, also known as Alltel some years ago before some management decided to split wireless from wired.

I second the suggestion to find out what your local cable company has to offer.

And the idea to first try cloning your PC's MAC address to the router.

Yes, cable is available to my house and I even have the wiring for it into the house, as far as I know.

As for bridge mode on the modem, I can't do ANYTHING with this modem. It has a generic install disc that installs the modem and all the other stuff and just makes it run. You can't change any settings or anything like that. We own the modem, it's not a rental so I wonder if I could get a newer, more friendly one. This one is from 2006.

Don't use the install disc. Lots of time, modems, firewalls, and routers have a web base setting pages. The most common one is 192.168.0.1, but again depends on make and model. The bridge mode should be in one of those pages.

It'll asked for a user name and password before you can change anything on those web based pages. The User name and pass will also have a default user and pass depends on manuf. ie. netgear will be 'admin' and 'password'.

I found an address that gets me into my modem- 10.0.0.138

Now that I can get in it, I have NO idea what to change. I don't want to accidentally mess something up. If it help at all it's apparently a Thompson ST546. There's all sorts of menus and settings I can change.

Quit screwing with the DSL and check into cable internet as many have mentioned. We have DirecTV but our internet is Road Runner through Time Warner.

----Sauder Chevy is now owned by Hondru- the same franchise that owns the Ford dealer across the creek. I don't know of any shake-ups in employment so I'm sure your friend is still there!

They arent geeky enough
all modems stop communicating when you plug in a device with a different mac address.
(note if your modem is a combo router this may not happen)

thats not any kind of blocking.

the easiest way would be to unplug dsl modem

plug in router.. clone the pc's mac address to the router

plug router into dsl modem.. should work now.

there is other stuff you can do like bridge mode etc.

Last edited:
Sounds like simple stuff, your computer helper might not have dealt with a PPPOE connection before thats all.

I've dealt with verizon DSL and their rural Pioneer service before, they do not require MAC cloning, but there is a setting on most routers to clone the mac address of the router to make it look like you aren't using a router to the ISP.

Sounds like the DSL company wants to rent you extra equipment that you don't need.

I would try bridge mode first, then setup the password and login in the router itself.

A simple tracert will tell you the address of the modem and the router, and they should both be simple to configure with a web browser. You don't need any software.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will contact another one of my friends that has a good amount of knowledge when it comes to computers and networking and provide him with the info you've all given. This sounds like the solution to the problem- at least for the short-term. Eventually I'll probably switch to cable, but for now, we'll roll with this. I'll have him come and check out my setup and see if he can get it to work.

This device isn't a DSL modem, it is an ADSL gateway. The difference being that if has an integrated switch and performs NAT (which is why you have a private IP address).

This is also likely the reason you've had issues with routers plugged into it, it may be setup to block serial NAT for example, but since it is handing out internal IP's, you wouldn't have to do any MAC cloning or the like.

If it is unreliable, an easy way to "fix" this problem is to just replace the modem. There is nothing "carrier specific" about any ADSL modem besides the customized firmware many of the slap on them to limit user configurability.

You've found how to get into the modem, so you'll likely be able to find the necessary settings needed so you can replace it.

1. Log into the modem
2. Find the ADSL settings
3. Write down the following:
- VPI and VCI (may be 0 and 35 for example)
- Link type (EoA, PPPoA, IPoA)
- Mode (VLAN MUX for example)
- Encapsulation (LLC/Snap bridging, VC/MUX)
- WAN Connection type (this will be on a separate page) eg. PPPoE, DHCP...etc.
- If WAN is PPPoE, your username. You may have to look-up your password, though they will likely be the same as your e-mail address username/password.
4. Go buy yourself a D-Link DSL-520B ADSL2+ modem
5. Also pick-up an inexpensive router like the ASUS WL-520GU
6. Setup the modem in bridge mode, using the ADSL settings you acquired from the old modem above.
7. Setup the router to use whatever setup was on the old ADSL Gateway (PPPoE, DHCP...etc)
8. Setup and secure your wireless (WPA2/AES, complex passphrase)
9. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back