Went to drop off some used oil today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to O'Reilly today to drop off some used oil and to buy a Wix oil filter. Clerk brings over a sheet for me to sign and fill out. Top of the sheet instructs the clerk to smell the oil,and look at the actual oil itself before emptying into the recycle bin (I was like,huh??). Then he takes my oil to the back,dumps it,and said he'll throw the container away for me,which I got it back,to use over again to recycle oil.

What's up with that "smell and inspect" sheet,and why did he dump it instead of me? Is this a new thing,or is it local only?

Anywho,they didn't have my Wix filter,so I'll head to Nissan tomorrow to buy an OEM.

to make sure its actually all engine oil, no solvents,gas, antifreeze, fryer oil.. etc.

I would think that the "smell and inspect" is for the same reason that you drive through a radiation detector when you take scrap metal into the scrap yard to sell it.

They don't want something that they don't want.

That's why I go to Walmart to dump my oil because it's pretty much a hassle free experience. They don't require any special container, so I can bring in the same 5-gallon bucket with the snap lid that I use to store the oil in all year. They do a have log to fill out, but it's just your name, address, and oil quantity. Oh, and I get to dump the oil myself, yay!
grin.gif

Makes sense. Yeah I thought it was odd,because they usually never look up,and just point to the back of the stockroom and say "You know where it`s at" (speaking of the recycling bin) haha.

When O'Reillys had the big Nexgen push, they did the same thing with the old oil that I brought in. I think it varies from store to store and manager to manager. I did not have to sign any forms, however.
One thing they did tell me was that they absolutely can not throw away the container that the oil came in. The customer was the one who has to take the container back home with them.
As I walked out the door with my old containers, I saw that there must have been a dozen used oil containers (from other customers) in the trash cans that they had outside of the entrance door.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I would think that the "smell and inspect" is for the same reason that you drive through a radiation detector when you take scrap metal into the scrap yard to sell it.

I've always wondered about that. Where would such radioactive material come from? I've taken in scrap metal before and saw the sign that they check for it. Where in the world would radioactive metal come from other than military/goverment sources?

Hospitals use it too. Also small bits in smoke alarms.

Also very interesting on recycling oil. It's always been simple in my state, I just take the old 5 quart jug to Autozone and they point to a cart to leave it on and then I'm gone. Nothing to fill out. They don't check it.

xray machines from a dentist office (cobalt-60) possibly. maybe from a university/college during construction/renovations? smoke detectors (Americium-241) in large quantities.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's why I go to Walmart to dump my oil because it's pretty much a hassle free experience. They don't require any special container, so I can bring in the same 5-gallon bucket with the snap lid that I use to store the oil in all year. They do a have log to fill out, but it's just your name, address, and oil quantity. Oh, and I get to dump the oil myself, yay!
grin.gif

Walmart takes used oil?

WOW if they make it to hard for people they will start leaving it everywhere... I remember seeing a guy trying to bring back an old toilet to the home depot and when they refused to take it back the guy left but left the toilet in their parking lot...Some people dont care

I've never had AZ, Advance, or O'Reilly's check or dump it for me. They send me to the back where I dump it myself. Only twice have they told me I have to take my containers with me when I leave. Maybe that'll change? We'll see.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I've always wondered about that. Where would such radioactive material come from? I've taken in scrap metal before and saw the sign that they check for it. Where in the world would radioactive metal come from other than military/goverment sources?

Lots of NORM in the oilfield as well.

Youd think CA would be the most strict but my walmart is pretty laid back. I do have to take containers with me. My oil jug got rained on/in and i felt bad about it, but not THAT bad. Dirty water is a lot easier on systems than the other stuff.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

This one was interesting, as it appears that (surprise, surprise), the Linear no threshold approach is wrong...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/

Another

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/radevents/1983MEX1.html

And a sad/scary one

http://www.veneermagazine.com/01-18/01/the_group/goiania.html

Amongst many many.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Top of the sheet instructs the clerk to smell the oil,and look at the actual oil itself before emptying into the recycle bin

That instruction would breach OH&S legislation down here.

You should never "sniff" something that you don't know, especially if you think it's contaminated with fuel/solvents etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back