Don't bring used oil to a store in a coolant jug....

Glad here in VA we have a county waste facility that takes it. Sign on oil container says no coolant.

They're very freaky about it here, too. I don't know if the people that buy this oil from them give them no end of grief about it, or what the situation is, but anytime they send me back there by myself to dump it, they ask me if there's any coolant in it. Otherwise, they stand there and watch me pour it to to make sure.

I remember when people would use oil along their fence line to kill grass
That was the 70s🤔
And I wonder how the down-gradient wells are looking now from that practice ahahah

LNAPL...Google it....used to make a living figuring that out early in my career.

I bring coolant in an oil jug, never had a problem.

I also have one of these, I can bring anything I want in it and dump it in the used oil. When the system doesn't want to work with you, you have to work with the system.

hopkins-flotool-16-quart-super-duty-drain-container.jpg

Last edited:
I don't understand why it is so difficult to put used oil into empty oil jugs. I almost always just pour my used oil back into an empty oil bottle, though I also have a couple of larger containers bought and purposed for used oil. One of them I bought at the AA store I usually return my used oil to. Once I started changing my own oil I just started keeping the empty oil jugs to accept the next oil change. Been doing that for a long time and have had no questions asked when I returned to the store with it.

That's what I do with it. And I will continue to do it until someone provides at least somewhat of a convenient disposal method. The biggest danger out here in the desert, is as soon as birds and animals see anything liquid running in the gutter, they'll line up to drink it.

Dogs included. Ethylene glycol is very poisonous to animals and wildlife. You want to avoid getting it into the food chain. So down the toilet it goes.

If it was that bad, they would be scaring everyone with heavy fines for doing it. I'm sure that will be the case in another decade or so. As they find most everything to be dangerous to mankind in one way, shape, form, or another......

Much like California already has. Have they found anything that doesn't cause cancer in lab animals?

If you're on a municipal sewer system, somehow the chemicals are good for the system. I'm not sure how it works for septic. I was on municipal sewer at the old house, so I'd just pop the vent line and dump it down. But I can't do that at the new house.

Disposing of coolant is near impossible. No one takes it. My county has ONE facility that takes it 3rd tuesday every other summer month or something stupid. I can understand while people just dump it in the ground.

Oil is easy to get rid of. I have more than a few friends who burn waste oil in burners to heat a shop.

Never heard of putting it in a gas tank. That seems like a bad idea for an engine that isn't made for burning oil. Filtered, and in the tank of an old diesel ... absolutely!

Used oil is a carcinogen, and hazmat. I want anyone handling it to know.
Then I'm a walking, 70 year old, cancer free miracle. As is / are the workers at Jiffy Lube, Big-O, Quick Lube, Goodyear, and just about every service station in this country........ Long before it became fashionable for people to wear those little blue rubber gloves to take out the trash and pick up dog poop.

These places are being paid to take old oil. They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, or blatant uncontrollable love for the, "Green New Deal". Besides, when I bring in my old oil, it's in a full, heavy 5 gallon jug.

Most of the time it's a woman who waits on me, and runs my name and address to make sure I'm not a Russian spy, infiltrating the country to wreck the environment. She wouldn't be able to even lift the thing. Let alone lift it chest high to be able to pour in into their huge tank.

I'm always the one to lift and pour it. I even bring my own paper towels to wipe down any splashing on the container, and around the mouth of the tank opening.

I bring coolant in an oil jug, never had a problem.

I also have one of these, I can bring anything I want in it and dump it in the used oil. When the system doesn't want to work with you, you have to work with the system.

View attachment 156147
That's a nice drain pan. Do you ever have any issues with it splashing over the short sides? Also, what's the total capacity? I would need one that would hold at least 20 quarts. (That's right around what I end up with when I change the oil in all 3 cars). Otherwise I would have to make multiple trips.

That's a nice drain pan. Do you ever have any issues with it splashing over the short sides? Also, what's the total capacity? I would need one that would hold at least 20 quarts. (That's right around what I end up with when I change the oil in all 3 cars). Otherwise I would have to make multiple trips.
I've got the same one stored at my in-laws' for when I work on their cars. Love it. I think the label says 16 quarts.

I don't have splash issues with mine. Believe it's 16qt so I can do several changes with it before needing to dump it.

That's a nice drain pan. Do you ever have any issues with it splashing over the short sides?
Caution! I use that same drain pan and you can't safely carry a lot of used oil in it without spillage. None of the orifices close tightly and seal, so you have to somehow keep it upright on end or flat to avoid spillage. If it is too full I can just about guarantee some oil will come out of the big plug where the oil drains in or the spout. I personally would never use the thing to transport used oil to the store. I want containers that seal when closed and can tip over in the car without spilling, and are easy to pour into the used oil tank.

Caution! I use that same drain pan and you can't safely carry a lot of used oil in it without spillage. None of the orifices close tightly and seal, so you have to somehow keep it upright on end or flat to avoid spillage. If it is too full I can just about guarantee some oil will come out of the big plug where the oil drains in or the spout. I personally would never use the thing to transport used oil to the store. I want containers that seal when closed and can tip over in the car without spilling, and are easy to pour into the used oil tank.
Mine has been fine w/r to this issue. I lay it flat on a towel. Never had it spill with 10+ qts in it.

If you're on a municipal sewer system, somehow the chemicals are good for the system. I'm not sure how it works for septic. I was on municipal sewer at the old house, so I'd just pop the vent line and dump it down. But I can't do that at the new house.

Disposing of coolant is near impossible. No one takes it. My county has ONE facility that takes it 3rd tuesday every other summer month or something stupid. I can understand while people just dump it in the ground.

Oil is easy to get rid of. I have more than a few friends who burn waste oil in burners to heat a shop.

Never heard of putting it in a gas tank. That seems like a bad idea for an engine that isn't made for burning oil. Filtered, and in the tank of an old diesel ... absolutely!
Exactly why I've paid both dealers and indie garages to do coolant drain and fills, and exchanges. The one time I replaced my Nissan's radiator, I had the best intentions, but the radiator slipped I spilled a ton of coolant on the driveway. Then, what I was able to collect, nobody would accept it.

Exactly why I've paid both dealers and indie garages to do coolant drain and fills, and exchanges. The one time I replaced my Nissan's radiator, I had the best intentions, but the radiator slipped I spilled a ton of coolant on the driveway. Then, what I was able to collect, nobody would accept it.
I don't have much coolant history on any of my cars....dealer/shop always did it but the county recycling facility here actually has a barrel for it.

Tires are also very difficult to dispose of. I had some that I was trying to get rid of last year and no tire shops would take them. Even though it's a state law that they have to take it for a disposal fee. But they wont.

People wonder why tires are always just thrown on the side of the highway.

Luckily, there's a transfer station in our county that recently started taking tires. Oswego county has a HUGE mosquito problem. Tires holding standing water are a huge problem. At least I can dispose at the dump now.

Back