Don't bring used oil to a store in a coolant jug....

I was denied using a soy milk container. They said only almond and 2% would be accepted...j/k

Honestly, I have seen in PA/NJ stores discourage dropping off used motor oil. Drives me bonkers. One time I said what does the law say (nothing lol) a guy got in my face--I took his pic and it would make a great splash page for YouTube.

I try to use motor oil containers.. never had an issue with washer fluid jugs either.

They did say my oil smelled like gas once.. I said yeah it came out of a 40 year old tractor its normal and we had a nice conversation about old tractors.

Makes you wonder if someone that has a honda 1.5L and 5%+ fuel dilution would get denied? Obviously its 100% upto the employees discretion.

I once was asked if my used oil was synthetic because apparently, it doesn't burn right in a waste oil heater.
I used MOBIL one mixed with chain saw chips and paper for years as fire starter. Even the PAO days, it lights and burns well. One match is all I needed. Same for the short amsoil experiment. It all burns well.

O'Rielly's always good for me for oil if their tank is not full. No issues with container so far. Have to sign-in with name/address/quantity and provide a signature. Local recycling fluid will accept coolant and brake fluid. Seems like it would be a good idea to require all retailers that sell these items to accept used fluids to maximize appropriate disposal.

Yes it was a O'Reilly's
O'Reillys (just like every place that accepts this stuff) contracts with a waste disposal / recycler company like SafetyKleen so the stores have to follow that other company's rules. Maybe it varies by area and that other party accepts waste fluids with coolant. Around here, they do not. Some employees will smell the container and if there's a hint of coolant, they told me they won't take it. What happens is the company like SafetyKleen backcharges them if they detect coolant. Whether they can't sell it or recycle it or have to use special processes to remove it, I don't know. The folks at the store aren't making the rules though..... And just because "they used to" doesn't mean anything. Rules can change, maybe some workers ignored the rules, and so on.

Good thing that crude comes out of the ground pure and uncontaminated! :unsure:
You don't put crude oil into anything though. Just like there's extensive "refining" processes on that end, there's refining processes required on the recycling end too.

When I was working, we had a 300 gallon tank for waste oil, the driver used to test the oil for coolant contamination before he would pump it out.

At home I have an old 5 gallon plastic gas container with OIL spray painted on all sides, been using it for 30 yrs like this. A couple years ago the Oreilly guy said we dont take fuel, I had to convince him that it was and had always been waste oil. My other 5 gallon jug is an old AFFF foam container from 20 yrs ago. No one questions that one.

I once was asked if my used oil was synthetic because apparently, it doesn't burn right in a waste oil heater.
That's what AutoZone did with me after I recycled the Redline Oil. I brought up this conversation prior and it perplexed users on here. Finally someone else having the same issue.

I'm lucky, my city's service department takes in used oil for their garage heaters. I sign in, then proceed to the huge drum with hopper funnel and dump it in. I take home and reuse my 2.5 gallon jug for next time. You might want to check if your city has the same service.
They also have a separate drum for used coolant.

They definitely get fined for cross contamination. My work was dinged because someone was dumping funky old diesel fuel into the waste oil tank

the tank will accept anything U pour in. In 'wrong" container means contaminants may B in there (1 tank for water based - antifrez;; one for oil - crancase). I dont C any one recycle the actual 'containers'. "Contaminantes" is Y China no longer excepts usa recycling (5%'n less wuz "OK". We shipped them 20% so lost our good deal).
Neighbors take shop's cranckcase oil. Use it in heqting system. I dont even put gasoline in as there can B a lill water in it. Not good 4 their systems. One truck comes for antifrez recycling. Cant accept (oil) contaminates. This will work if we, the source, just take a lill caution.

I once had an auto parts place reject my used oil because I brought it in in a couple of liquid laundry detergent jugs. They were concerned with soap or water contamination. I ended up transferring the oil into a few empty 2 liter soda bottles and brought it to a different store and they didn't say a word.

Reusing the original 5 quart jugs to take the oil to a recycling center is pretty easy but it was a PITA when I had almost 7 quarts from my Jaguar and the oil I used had come in 1 quart bottles. I need to accumulate a couple of empty 5 quart jugs to use just for storage and transportation of used oil.

Back