Don't bring used oil to a store in a coolant jug....

Caution! I use that same drain pan and you can't safely carry a lot of used oil in it without spillage. None of the orifices close tightly and seal, so you have to somehow keep it upright on end or flat to avoid spillage. If it is too full I can just about guarantee some oil will come out of the big plug where the oil drains in or the spout. I personally would never use the thing to transport used oil to the store. I want containers that seal when closed and can tip over in the car without spilling, and are easy to pour into the used oil tank.
He's correct. It's great around the house, but I'd never put it in my car full of oil. I only transport in 5-qt oil jugs.

He's correct. It's great around the house, but I'd never put it in my car full of oil. I only transport in 5-qt oil jugs.
I try to put the 5 qt jugs in a plastic bag, and then inside a box, and have them snugly packed against each other. Heaven forbid they tip and leak from the cap....

I've transported that container dozens of times without a leak. Another option is just teflon tape the caps.

I'm going to be doing that when I get a little older. Lifting that 5 gallon container of oil isn't getting any easier. I'll probably have to start buying the 25 pound bags of softener salt as well. Those 40 pound bags are getting heavier every time I lift them.
When I was a busboy, I cut open a 5 gal "pouch" of milk, and it ran all over the kitchen floor. Almost defied logic how large the spill became...

That's a nice drain pan. Do you ever have any issues with it splashing over the short sides? Also, what's the total capacity? I would need one that would hold at least 20 quarts. (That's right around what I end up with when I change the oil in all 3 cars). Otherwise I would have to make multiple trips.

No splashing issues and as others said it holds 16 qts. You do have to be careful how you tighten the tub drain cap. There aren't a lot of threads and it may leak if the pan is close to full. You also have to remember to open the vent. Perhaps that's why some report that it splashes.

No splashing issues and as others said it holds 16 qts. You do have to be careful how you tighten the tub drain cap. There aren't a lot of threads and it may leak if the pan is close to full. You also have to remember to open the vent. Perhaps that's why some report that it splashes.
Some of those containers are well made, with O-rings on the caps to keep them sealed. Shop around. Mine transports OK on its end after being filled as a drain pan on its side.

Last edited:
"...Explain exactly how antifreeze down my toilet is, "harming your environment"? Especially when it is defined as an accepted way of disposal in many areas..."

"our" not "your' (meaning mine)
the live organizms in the sewar treatment plant die (they R used to degrade all the chit in the tanks), hazadous wast enter the water table, taxes go up to 'repair' the city system, etc. No, it aint radio activity, but harmful. Esp if lrg #s of ppl do it. Common sense. No one I know 'defines as acceptable way of disposal'. Good Luck w/your research, here's 1:
Thnx 4 readin~

So much entitlement in this thread.

The workers at the parts stores deserve to have all the chemicals they may come in contact with properly labelled, so they can look up the MSDS and be informed.

Used oil is a carcinogen, and hazmat. I want anyone handling it to know. My town dump takes it for a waste oil heater, they "require" it to be in clear containers. I use milk jugs. I rinse the milk out so they don't smell funky and let them drip dry reasonably well. Even though they probably have water separators. Barring this requirement, an original motor oil container is the best best, with the best labelling.

If the store makes any money off used oil, good for them. They handle it as a convenience to the customer, even if legally required.

Be a polite citizen, the people who have to clean this stuff up aren't paid enough.
Also remember that some contaminants in your motor oil/etc. donation won't just boil off or centrifuge out without problems. And the more volatiles like gasoline in it, the greater chance that someone has a bad day, between you dumping your jug and the recycling process.
"...Explain exactly how antifreeze down my toilet is, "harming your environment"? Especially when it is defined as an accepted way of disposal in many areas..."

"our" not "your' (meaning mine)
the live organizms in the sewar treatment plant die (they R used to degrade all the chit in the tanks), hazadous wast enter the water table, taxes go up to 'repair' the city system, etc. No, it aint radio activity, but harmful. Esp if lrg #s of ppl do it. Common sense. No one I know 'defines as acceptable way of disposal'. Good Luck w/your research, here's 1:
Thnx 4 readin~
The same reason that you don't want to dump coolant, or anything else but human waste and toilet paper, into a septic system... the "bugs" that break down the waste before it gets to the leach field can get wiped out, and you might be buying one of those more expensive and energy intensive aeration systems. The septic process works as long as you don't get carried away with bleach, detergent, or any large shot of something with an antibacterial effect.
Forty years ago, I tended several oil and gas wells that supplied a large chemical manufacturing plant. The better gas wells produced a clear distillate instead of the typical crude oil, along with salt water. Their preferred method of disposing of the brine was to use a vacuum truck to pick it up as it flowed from the bottom valve of the collection tank, then dump it into their "biopond" where it would eventually disperse and break down along with the other liquid waste. One time during a pickup, I missed the presence of the layer of crud that was too light to sink in water, but too heavy to float in the distillate...didn't close the valve fast enough. The vac truck got a "small" amount of that liquid hydrocarbon and dumped it into their system.
They were not amused. It killed off their bacteria, which took some time to re-establish, and emitted a gasoline-like smell over a fairly large area.

I'll be changing the motor oil, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid in my motor home this week, to get it ready for the season. When I'm done, I'll have close to 15 gallons of waste oil.

I'm not worried about the mixture, as Autozone has told me that they can accept any type of lubricant fluid. The only thing they can't take is coolant. I am concerned about conveniently disposing of this quantity of oils. Autozone told me some time ago that they are can only accept a maximum of 3 gallons at a time. I may have to drop off 3 gallons at Autozone, then drop off however much they will accept at O'Reilly's., and then do the same thing the next day, until it is all gone. Oh, what fun.

Yup, mine won't even take used oil in 5 qt oil jug, must be milk gallon jug only.
That’s ridiculous! I don’t even drink milk, so where am I supposed to get a milk jug? This is a recent development at least here in my area. I have been taking used oil to AAP for over 20 years using the same gas jug.

Safety Kleen allows 5% coolant in used motor oil. If it’s more there’s an up charge in disposal

I don't understand why it is so difficult to put used oil into empty oil jugs. I almost always just pour my used oil back into an empty oil bottle, though I also have a couple of larger containers bought and purposed for used oil. One of them I bought at the AA store I usually return my used oil to. Once I started changing my own oil I just started keeping the empty oil jugs to accept the next oil change. Been doing that for a long time and have had no questions asked when I returned to the store with it.
The issue with using used 5 qt jugs is that most vehicles take 6 or 7 qts. So that leaves me trying to pour oil into a qt container from a drain pan.
the 5 gal gas can is way easier to fill without spilling. Also my motorcycles and OPE won’t take a full 5 qts and the MC oil I buy only comes in qt containers.
I have looked into buying a container for oil since I had this negative experience. That may be what I do but I’m going to check with my town DPW to see if they will accept the oil from my old gas can.

Before using the Walmart oil container posted above I used a large camping water jug that was similar in size.

The issue with using used 5 qt jugs is that most vehicles take 6 or 7 qts.
Sure, but just keep extra jugs around and use the motorcycle oil to top off the next jug. I have vehicles that take under 5 quarts, over 5 quarts, and as much as two gallons of oil for a change. In any case, I like to put used oil into oil containers that seal well so I don't have to worry about storing it, spilling it, or dumping it. I also have two multi-gallon used oil jugs that were purchased for the purpose. I'm pretty sure Walmart has them and AA sells this one: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...3-P?navigationPath=L1*14924|L2*15045|L3*16237

That’s ridiculous! I don’t even drink milk, so where am I supposed to get a milk jug? This is a recent development at least here in my area. I have been taking used oil to AAP for over 20 years using the same gas jug.
Someone else's recycle bin is one option, the other is you call them and they will drop off some "clean" gallon jugs. The ones I got has a bit of dirt on the bottom but otherwise unused and brand new. I think they got some recycled from certain facility they know has only water or brand new / dirty exterior rejects.

I worked in Substation maintenance at the power company . We generated a lot of waste oil of varying types . Transformer oil , motor oil , hydraulic fluid , etc. We had an environmental contractor that would pick up the 55 gal drums we used to store it . They were very explicit in their instructions . DO NOT mix different types of fluids . You could turn a drum of motor oil into a drum of hazardous waste real quick and the cost of disposal would go way up .

Back