WEAR VS TYPES OF OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pennzoil 5W-30 standard (yellow bottle) is rated at group II+ and pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is rated at group III. What would the differance be be in engine wear?
I presently have a 2007 Hyundai Azera with the 3.8L and a Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.3L engine.

Thanks for all responses.

Westex

Negligible.

The different groups are based on purity and viscosity index, Group II+ and Group III are very close, but group III is usually better performing at high and low temperatures and more suitable for longer drains.

Not much. Main benefit of the Platinum as with any other synthetic is longer drains, better flow at cold temps, and better protection at very hot temps. With good maintenance your engines will outlast the car bodies.

Last edited:
Looks like the yellow bottle will work in my case. Due to factory warranty I have to change it every 6 months. I won't put more than 2000 miles on each of them in that time. I don't need the expense of buying the Platinum.
Thanks for your advise.

Cheers,

Westex.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Either one of those Hyundai's built at their plant in Alabama? If so, they came from the factory with Quaker State 5W-30 in them.

The Santa Fe was built in Alabama. The Azera was built in Korea.

Johnny,

Would you recommend Changing the oil & filter any earlier than the 1200 mile break-in suggested by the owners manual?
I usually change the oil and filter at about 1000 miles.
I've read many pros and cons to this procedure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Either one of those Hyundai's built at their plant in Alabama? If so, they came from the factory with Quaker State 5W-30 in them.

I've driven by that plant. I've been told that Alabama now makes more cars than Detroit. Dunno if I believe it. But we've got Toyota here in Huntsville, Mercedes in Tuscaloosa, Hyundai outside Montgomery, and one more I know I'm forgetting. Kia maybe? I think Kia/Hyundai are owned by the same parent company.

Some day I'm going to show up at the Toyota V8 plant that's about 10 miles from my house in my Tundra (which has an engine made there!) and try to get a tour. Maybe I can see what factory fill is there...

later,
b

The additive package more then anything else is what accounts for an oil wear reduction at operateing temp. The base stock only really matters or makes a big difference in wear at start up when it is cold outside and when in extreme heat. Now as each group number goes up you get fewer deposits wich helps with long term depsoit control.

Originally Posted By: westex39
Johnny,

Would you recommend Changing the oil & filter any earlier than the 1200 mile break-in suggested by the owners manual?
I usually change the oil and filter at about 1000 miles.
I've read many pros and cons to this procedure.

I've always changed at between 1K and 1.5K on my new cars.

When I bought my civic new in 2002, I took it in to the dealer for an oil change at 1000 mi and they said no and sent me on my way.

I recently purchased a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with the 3.3L V-6. I noticed that they recommended Quaker State. I just changed the factory fill at 3861 miles and replaced it with Pennzoil Dino 5W-20.

Johnny,
How does Quaker State stack up to Pennzoil conventional?

I was planning on doing a 5K OCI, then doing my first UOA ever.

And how would the Pennzoil Platinum compare to the dino with say, a 7.5K OCI?

Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
I recently purchased a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with the 3.3L V-6. I noticed that they recommended Quaker State. I just changed the factory fill at 3861 miles and replaced it with Pennzoil Dino 5W-20.

Tucson . . . summer . . . 5W-20??? Regarding conventional oil, in Tucson I'd use 10W-30 in the winter and 20W-50 in the summer. In Sandy Eggo (much more temperate than Tucson) I use 10W-30 in cooler months and half 10W-30 + half SAE-30 in the summer or straight SAE-30 in the summer depending on how many miles I've got on the car. That Hyundai recommends Quaker State is simply a financial agreement between the two companies. Pennzoil has a higher flash-point than Quaker State, and so I prefer Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back