Weapon Shield Is Back!

Thought WS6 and others may be interested in this. I did some research to find out what happened to Steel Shield's Weapon Shield products. I contacted Steel Shield Technologies in Hong Kong and received several emails. The last one was from the new owner of Weapon Shield Products here in the USA. Here is a copy of the email and part of another email about the new owner.

Jim,
Your contact was forward to me from Andies regarding your search for Weapon Shield.

Unfortunately, the principals at Steel Shield Tech have closed their doors. Steel Shield Technologies of Bethel Park is no longer in operation.

However, the good news is that I have purchased all the Weapon Shield formulas and will be reintroducing Weapon Shield to the market under my company name Rattac Technologies, LLC.

I am in the final stages of getting the new corporation up and running (lots of paperwork), and am in negotiations to get the first production run of weapon Shield made. I should have more information next week that will allow me to set pricing and begin to offer expected delivery dates with lists of wholesalers and distributors.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. Our new web site is under construction and will be up in the next week or so. Things are moving forward quickly.

Thanks so much for being a loyal fan of our product. you shouldn't have to wait long.

Regards,

Tom
--
Tom Spithaler
President/CEO Rattac Technologies
Weapon Shield Products

About the owner:
George Fennell (the inventor of Weapon Shield) and I go back a very long way. He did his best to keep Steel Shield afloat, but due to health issues he was unable to be involved in the day to day operations of the company and sadly, the company leadership did not have the fiscal success of the company in mind - only their own. I used to be the Sales & Marketing Director for Olympic Arms Inc for 23 years. At that time, I was a integral part of getting WS marketed in the industry an acted as a Sales Rep for almost 10 years. We very much look forward to the grand-reintroduction of Weapon Shield. I just don't want to get people too excited until I have a release date I can count on. My current estimation is 60-90 days but hoping for sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filing address for Rattac Technologies LLC is a 20 year old mobile home clear across the country from Steel Shield's old headquarters, and Tim Spithaler's media accounts focus more on his love of hiking and family stuff. I am not holding my breath on the 60-90 day thing, if at all. The one media page "maintained" by Rattac is years from being updated and wasn't much to begin with. On a quick dive into this, it almost looks like someone other than Tim sent that E-mail, based on how different his life appears. He's more of a hiking enthusiast and all around modern day hippie than anything else. Survival knives, boots, tobacco pipes, that seems to be his thing.

*BUT*

Maybe Mr. Fennell and him go way back, as he is from Pennsylvania, and maybe they struck a deal and he wants back into the gun gig.

Thanks for the insight. Lets hope for the best. Hippies can be Capitalists too!

If anyone is looking for good alternative, I have been using Pantheon Premium Gun Oil. Pantheon is the owner of the formulas of the original
M-Pro7 Products. There was partnership between Pantheon and Bushnell and they parted ways several years ago. Pantheon kept ownership of the formulas and Bushnell has ownership of the name. So, FYI the M-Pro7 that is being sold on the market today is NOT the original M-Pro7 formula. Pantheon Premium Gun Oil is sold.

Thanks for the insight. Lets hope for the best. Hippies can be Capitalists too!

If anyone is looking for good alternative, I have been using Pantheon Premium Gun Oil. Pantheon is the owner of the formulas of the original
M-Pro7 Products. There was partnership between Pantheon and Bushnell and they parted ways several years ago. Pantheon kept ownership of the formulas and Bushnell has ownership of the name. So, FYI the M-Pro7 that is being sold on the market today is NOT the original M-Pro7 formula. Pantheon Premium Gun Oil is sold.
I've kindof settled on slip 2000 ewl. Its done me a solid.

George Fennel's Slip 2000 EWL vs Weapon Shield video.

The original M-Pro7 ( Pantheon Premium Gun Oil) didn't do as good against Weapon Shield either in another video. Going back to WS when its available.

Spithaler is a name i have not heard in a long time. used to see him at the gunshows in the area .

Reactions: Ws6
That whole Falex bearing wear machine test was found to be somewhat fraudulent. They put Head & Shoulders shampoo in it, and it gave better results with less wear than all of the lubricants tried. You wouldn't use shampoo on your firearms.

That said, I like Fennel, and he's very knowledgeable, and I use Weapon Shield products. But I'm skeptical of that whole Falex bearing wear tester as an end all / cure all to determine lubricant quality and wear protection.

Here is an Amsoil video exposing it.

This Falex video from Amsoil is not an accurate comparison to the Falex tests that George does. It looks more like an infomercial for their anti friction additives.
The shampoo trick worked because Amsoil left there oil on the bearing surfaces when it was tested.

If you watch George's Video you will see that he cleans all the surfaces and rotates the bearing for each individual test. Which a more accurate comparison to oils he tested. The Falex test is not absolute, but at least it give us some comparative data.

Amsoil makes good products. I use it in everything I own, but this Infomercial, NAH!

That whole Falex bearing wear machine test was found to be somewhat fraudulent. They put Head & Shoulders shampoo in it, and it gave better results with less wear than all of the lubricants tried. You wouldn't use shampoo on your firearms.

That said, I like Fennel, and he's very knowledgeable, and I use Weapon Shield products. But I'm skeptical of that whole Falex bearing wear tester as an end all / cure all to determine lubricant quality and wear protection.

Here is an Amsoil video exposing it.

It CAN be spoofed, but Fennell did not.

It CAN be spoofed, but Fennell did not.
I agree. Fennell is a stand up guy, and used the device to compare one lubricant to another, as the unit was intended. I just question the actual value of such a test media, that can have Head & Shoulders Shampoo come out on top, with the least wear of all the top lubricants. When it's sole purpose was to stop dandruff. Not give you a slick scalp.

I agree. Fennell is a stand up guy, and used the device to compare one lubricant to another, as the unit was intended. I just question the actual value of such a test media, that can have Head & Shoulders Shampoo come out on top, with the least wear of all the top lubricants. When it's sole purpose was to stop dandruff. Not give you a slick scalp.
I have brought this up to Fennell, but he maintains that metal on metal high pressure is the most important wear prevention matrix. I personally prefer slip 2000 ewl.

I've used Slip 2000. Both the "regular" and the EWL. It's good stuff. I like it on all of my gas impingement AR's.

I forget what the ingredient was in the Head & Shoulders, that gave it so much wear resistance on the Falex. But whatever it was, it had no value in a gun or automotive lubricant.

I've used Slip 2000. Both the "regular" and the EWL. It's good stuff. I like it on all of my gas impingement AR's.

I forget what the ingredient was in the Head & Shoulders, that gave it so much wear resistance on the Falex. But whatever it was, it had no value in a gun or automotive lubricant.
Zinc.

Just for kicks, I went back and read this old thread...lol:

It ultimately got closed

Been a Weapons Shield user for years. Glad to see it coming back. Look forward to it in the coming months.

Greetings-I am not a grease monkey, but I am a gun monkey. I had read some really interesting reports on Weapon Shield before I realized they were no longer in business. I saw the reference to the Watts Truck Center here, and they do in fact seem to have several products from the original Weapon Shield line in stock. I ordered some over the weekend and it has already arrived! So if you are interested here is the link, no affiliation, yada, yada...

Just a quick update, if you order threw Watts.... Watch your card statement.

A few weeks after I bought and posted here I was hit with two 210 charges from facebook. The card I used was new, first use and never left my house.

Back