We Walked Away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: NStuart
Friend of mine was out west in a higher speed limit area last week car didn't yield merging on hwy old lady driving RV she just purchased the RV was doing 55 in a 75 mile-per-hour Zone she swerved in front of the semi truck running 77 and slammed on brakes my veteran friend with 16 years Driving Experience rear-ended her at 77 miles an hour never even touch the brakes police feel bad for the old lady and cited nobody, your insurance has to cover your own vehicle he is out of thousand dollar deductible lots of money in Lost Time his Immaculate truck $27,000 worth of damage. I personally think people should have to have a license for an RV

I'm not understanding the whole scenario where the RV swerves in front of a semi, slams on the brakes and your friend ends up rear ending the RV. Should't the RV be rear ended by the semi?

It was a tough one to parse but I think the friend is the veteran truck driver who rear-ended the RV.

I own a personal aircraft, for just this reason. Driving around here is riskier than we admit!!

And like you, I was hit while in the company truck, but I was stopped at the light. There was nothing I could do. The guy behind was gawking at the other accident and completely missed the stopped traffic.

Brings on feelings of guilt, responsibility and never wanting to drive someone else's vehicle again.

It used to be that semi and big truck drivers were very good. I guess the skill level decreased along with the general driver pool. I've had 2 near misses in the past year, one semi and one truck; both cut me off, pushing me out of my lane.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Glad you're and your friend are OK, Did they check the semi driver for impaired driving or texting?

Can't divulge too much info, but there was stuff in the truck that should not have been.

I don't think either of us are going on the road anytime soon, by our choice and the owners. It's a mental thing right now.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Glad you are relatively OK. I pray for all involved. Why, oh why can people not PAY ATTENTION. I used to like driving, in the past 10 years its gotten so bad I cant stand it. Seems like every trip there is some near miss.

Self driving cars cannot come soon enough IMHO, which is sad. People just have no interest in paying attention to driving anymore.

I will say if it was up to me I would make it mandatory to have a manual transmission vehicle, that would solve a lot of issues on the road. Yes I know the semi involved was possibly a manual transmission and that statement wouldn't apply here but still, people have become so uninvolved in their driving its sickening. Add on top of that the drivers in my region that have been drinking, strung out on heroin, ect.. Its terrible.

Really? A simple software program (being very difficult to defeat) in a cellphone using GPS that can tell when the phone is moving over a given speed (say 25mph) and then deactivates would solve the vast majority of issues.

Manual transmission are not coming back-for a variety if reasons......

Last edited:
A similar accident on I-80 in western Nebraska in 16 killed and entire family in one vehicle and another person in another vehicle.Semi driver is now being furnished room and board by the state. Distracted driving. FINES DOUBLE doesn't mean squat to some drivers.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I'm very lucky to be writing this this morning, yesterday we were rear-ended on the highway. This is the only picture I'm sharing right now.

20170606_161812_zpsmzzsjigc.jpg

Were stopped for an accident and all of a sudden my coworker said "Oh S hang on!" Semi hit another car that hit us, pushed us up the embankment and turned us sideways. We both climbed out. The rear is worse for wear and I assume the fiberglass body is toast. We're both a little sore, but in one piece. Don't know if either of us are going back on the road again (our choice). This is the second accident in a company vehicle within a year I've been in, not sure if I want to keep doing it.

This is a reminder to be safe out there!

I am glad you did not get hurt bro.

I constantly watch my rear view mirror when I slow down on the hwy, I had to pull over into the median once cuz the truck behind me had locked wheels. Now you know you why I prefer to drive my full size truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back