We Walked Away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very lucky to be writing this this morning, yesterday we were rear-ended on the highway. This is the only picture I'm sharing right now.

20170606_161812_zpsmzzsjigc.jpg

Were stopped for an accident and all of a sudden my coworker said "Oh S hang on!" Semi hit another car that hit us, pushed us up the embankment and turned us sideways. We both climbed out. The rear is worse for wear and I assume the fiberglass body is toast. We're both a little sore, but in one piece. Don't know if either of us are going back on the road again (our choice). This is the second accident in a company vehicle within a year I've been in, not sure if I want to keep doing it.

This is a reminder to be safe out there!

Last edited:
Wow. Glad you're ok. And little consolation but with a semi bearing down from behind, it could have been....

Whenever I have a quick slow down braking situation, I'm always checking my rearview for just such an occurrence. Not that there's much one can do but brace.

Car that got hit, everyone ok there?

Again, glad you're ok.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Car that got hit, everyone ok there?

Unfortunately probably not. Was pinned in the car for over an hour and was life-flighted, but is not expected to well... I'm pretty sure if that car was not there, I just can't think what would have happened.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Glad you're OK. You didn't mention if you went and got checked out at a hospital. Good to have a thorough exam and have things documented in deals like this.

Even after you first see a doctor, go back immediately if you have any back or neck pain that crops up. I suffered for about 10 years with pain that had its roots in a car accident, I was sore for a few days after it happened and then figured I was OK. Started having pains in my hip not long after and didn't make the connection and see a doctor soon enough, it was sciatica from disc damage caused by the accident...luckily, it has been almost 20 years since that has been a problem.

Friend of mine was out west in a higher speed limit area last week car didn't yield merging on hwy old lady driving RV she just purchased the RV was doing 55 in a 75 mile-per-hour Zone she swerved in front of the semi truck running 77 and slammed on brakes my veteran friend with 16 years Driving Experience rear-ended her at 77 miles an hour never even touch the brakes police feel bad for the old lady and cited nobody, your insurance has to cover your own vehicle he is out of thousand dollar deductible lots of money in Lost Time his Immaculate truck $27,000 worth of damage. I personally think people should have to have a license for an RV

Glad you are relatively OK. I pray for all involved. Why, oh why can people not PAY ATTENTION. I used to like driving, in the past 10 years its gotten so bad I cant stand it. Seems like every trip there is some near miss.

Self driving cars cannot come soon enough IMHO, which is sad. People just have no interest in paying attention to driving anymore.

I will say if it was up to me I would make it mandatory to have a manual transmission vehicle, that would solve a lot of issues on the road. Yes I know the semi involved was possibly a manual transmission and that statement wouldn't apply here but still, people have become so uninvolved in their driving its sickening. Add on top of that the drivers in my region that have been drinking, strung out on heroin, ect.. Its terrible.

Any day you can walk away from an accident is a good day indeed. May not be your "best" day, but certainly is a good day to survive an accident.

Good to hear you're ok. Hopefully you only end up with some sore muscles. Pay attention to your body and go see a doc if you're not right.

You're very fortunate!

If you don't mind...living in the SE PA area myself I'm curious to know, which highway was this on?

Originally Posted By: W3DRK
You're very fortunate!

If you don't mind...living in the SE PA area myself I'm curious to know, which highway was this on?

Turnpike. Never thought I'd ride in a Turnpike truck, but I guess there's a first for everything.

I-76 or the North-East extension? I hear ya....and don't blame you for re-assessing your employment after two incidents in such as short amount of time.

Originally Posted By: W3DRK
I-76 or the North-East extension? I hear ya....and don't blame you for re-assessing your employment after two incidents in such as short amount of time.

Two of the worst roads I ever drive. I avoid them if at all possible.

OP, glad you're OK.

Glad you're OK. We had a guy get hammered & run off the road on his side by a semi on I-71 in a Sprinter a couple years back-he was really lucky to only have a sliced-up left arm from the glass breaking.

Originally Posted By: NStuart
Friend of mine was out west in a higher speed limit area last week car didn't yield merging on hwy old lady driving RV she just purchased the RV was doing 55 in a 75 mile-per-hour Zone she swerved in front of the semi truck running 77 and slammed on brakes my veteran friend with 16 years Driving Experience rear-ended her at 77 miles an hour never even touch the brakes police feel bad for the old lady and cited nobody, your insurance has to cover your own vehicle he is out of thousand dollar deductible lots of money in Lost Time his Immaculate truck $27,000 worth of damage. I personally think people should have to have a license for an RV

I'm not understanding the whole scenario where the RV swerves in front of a semi, slams on the brakes and your friend ends up rear ending the RV. Should't the RV be rear ended by the semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back