WD40 on Windshield Wipers?

I use spray wax or detailer on my blades when i'm wiping down the whole car, no problems. ;)

Aren't they coated with graphite when brand new? Maybe just clean them up and put on a very light film of dry graphite so they don't chatter/skip. No idea how long that coating would last though.

I have seen a good number of YouTube videos about using WD40 on wiper blades to help them stay in better shape, longer!
Q's:
Has any member here at Bob's actually tried WD40 for cleaning/conditioning your wiper blades?
If so, how were/are the results?

I've been using CRC Heavy Duty Silicone on my blades with great results. I call this CRC a dry silicone(evaporates) as it DOES NOT stay wet & oily like a spray lube such as a Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster type of silicone product.

I am getting good results with the CRC as it cleans well and keeps the blades in good shape much longer than nothing at all. Also, I don't experience any streaking/smearing on the glass in any weather condition. And I am concerned that WD40 may cause that smearing when I need the wipers most. And we experience all conditions here in the north east.

There is no real reason for me to change from what I am doing by using the CRC however, I am curious if WD40 may in fact be the better, more optimal product.

Comments

I’d use 20w50 conventional motor oil on the blades, none of that thin crap that is used just to meet wiper blade CAFE standards. Seems to last for a while and no corrosion on the blade arms. I do have to drive with my head out of the window but hey that’s cheap insurance for proper windshield lubrication.

In all seriousness Why? Rain X and I’d assume other name brand blades last an incredibly long time with just soap and water and work perfectly smooth. Also I would assume something like 303 would be a better solution for something like this but again non silicone wipers really shouldn’t be on long enough for the rubber to dry out that bad.

I don’t even think I’ve cleaned a wiper blade in my life...maybe an alcohol wipe once or twice.

But Ive never heard of using WD40. I wouldn’t try that.

I’ve had good luck with the Rain-x wipers at Walmart. Priced right, usually can get 6-9 months out of them. I try to clean the inside of my windshield every couple weeks. My wife on the other hand? I don’t even know how she sees out of her windshield.

I have never cleaned a wiper blade in my life unless the spray wand at the self service car wash counts. I do notice that the OP mentions Aquapel and no one else has commented on that. I use Aquapel and carry a spare applicator in my glove box. It's good stuff. In my opinion, Rain-x is only for people who haven't heard of Aquapel. May I humbly suggest to the OP to try PIAA Silicone wiper blades? My 22" blades are PIAA $60 a set. The naysayers can scoff all they want; my wiper blades are now 6 years old and do not streak, hop, skip or jump. I'm not into replacing blades every six months.
Between regular applications of Aquapel and my PIAA wipers, I've been in torrential downpours where semis are pulling off the road, and I can see clearly. Above 40 mph, I generally don't even need my wipers.

I have never cleaned a wiper blade in my life unless the spray wand at the self service car wash counts. I do notice that the OP mentions Aquapel and no one else has commented on that. I use Aquapel and carry a spare applicator in my glove box. It's good stuff. In my opinion, Rain-x is only for people who haven't heard of Aquapel. May I humbly suggest to the OP to try PIAA Silicone wiper blades? My 22" blades are PIAA $60 a set. The naysayers can scoff all they want; my wiper blades are now 6 years old and do not streak, hop, skip or jump. I'm not into replacing blades every six months.
Between regular applications of Aquapel and my PIAA wipers, I've been in torrential downpours where semis are pulling off the road, and I can see clearly. Above 40 mph, I generally don't even need my wipers.
Thanks!
I have a small stash of Rain-X Latitude Beam Style Wiper Blades that I bought for $5/ea from Big Lots & Ollies close out stores. When these are all uses up between our cars, then I'll switch over to some silicone beam wiper blades. But, I may actually die before these are all gone... 😅

Ill pass on that idea. If they need to be cleaned I clean them with Windex or another glass cleaner along with the windshield. That has worked as long as I can remember.

I've never had a problem cleaning wiper blades with glass cleaner or even windshield washer fluid itself.
I am curious about what is best to clean'em with that won't cause the blades to harden, screach, chatter or vibrate along the glass when in use especially during the coldest months. I found that rubbing alcohol to be the worst.

And I don't want to clean the blades with a product that will leave any residue on the glass, that will cause even poor(er) visibility that what I am starting with.

Very interesting, I’ve never heard of any of the products or techniques you use to make your wipers last six years.

I’m doubtful of the (6 years thing) but if you say so, I just might give that a try.

I’m in that “change your wipers every six months or so crowd” because I drive a lot in conditions that are terrible (snow, rain, ice, salt). Would you still advise your technique in THOSE conditions? What I’m asking is, would those silicone wipers perform at a high level in that type of environment, with say, putting 25,000 miles a year in a car?

When I bought my Versa in Feb. 2019 the wipers were chattering. When I washed and waxed the car I also waxed the windshield. Finally about 1/1/2 years later I had to put on new wiper blades because the old ones were streaking.

doublebase, I cannot speak for your driving conditions, but common sense tells me that driving 25K yr must be a lot of highway miles. I will reiterate; generally speaking, above 40 mph or so, I don't even need my wipers. If you've never heard of aquapel all you need to do is type it in the search bar on Youtube. I typed in "aquapel test" https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aquapel+test There are also application videos; it must be applied to a clean, dry, (warm helps) windshield. I clean my windshield and run my defroster on max when I put it on. The few videos I've watched have been very positive.
I believe that if you tried PIAA silicone wipers and Aquapel you would be delighted. https://www.piaa.com/supersilicone
These wipers perform at a high level. Thank me or curse me after you've tried what I do? (Please don't wait 6 years)

Back