Wather PPK 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are much better options than the PPK. It's a classic piece but there are objectively better pistols available now. If you want one because you want one, that's fine too, but just by weight and size and ergonomics there are better choices.

As far as revolvers go, they are less reliable than auto loaders. I have seen multiple revolvers seize up and be unusable while shooting.
1) My Ruger GP100 had a flap of primer cap pop into the firing pin orifice and lock the cylinder up completely until freed by hammering.
2) Ruger Security Six had the ejector unscrew and bind the cylinder. Required a slip of paper to block the lock and screw the rod back in.
3) Taurus revolver got crud under the ejector, lengthening the cylinder and causing it to seize up.
4) S&W had the crane screw fall out and it wasn't noticed until it was reloaded as the cylinder and crane fell off.

Not that self loading pistols are perfect. The difference being that most auto loader stoppages can be manually cured by the user, when revolvers go down you're probably going to need tools.

BSW
Anecdotal evidence based on your experience. The fact is, firepower/capacity is the single major advantage that pistols have over revolvers and solely the reason law enforcement transitioned. Ask me how I know.

Anecdotal evidence based on your experience. The fact is, firepower/capacity is the single major advantage that pistols have over revolvers and solely the reason law enforcement transitioned. Ask me how I know.
I only have personal anecdotes to share. I'm not pretending it's a comprehensive data set.

I suspect that easier/shorter training, better qualification scores, and the lower cost of semi-auto pistols also played a role in their adoption in addition to higher capacity.

BSW

I only have personal anecdotes to share. I'm not pretending it's a comprehensive data set.

I suspect that easier/shorter training, better qualification scores, and the lower cost of semi-auto pistols also played a role in their adoption in addition to higher capacity.

BSW
Police academy firearms training is essentially blocks of instruction and practice that fit into an entire police training program. It did not become any shorter because agencies transitioned to pistols.Fact

Police academy firearms training is essentially blocks of instruction and practice that fit into an entire police training program. It did not become any shorter because agencies transitioned to pistols.Fact
I would suspect (and hope) some of the time allocated for reload training and other revolver specific manual of arms tasks would be re-allocated to other aspects.

BSW

There are much better options than the PPK. It's a classic piece but there are objectively better pistols available now. If you want one because you want one, that's fine too, but just by weight and size and ergonomics there are better choices.

As far as revolvers go, they are less reliable than auto loaders. I have seen multiple revolvers seize up and be unusable while shooting.
1) My Ruger GP100 had a flap of primer cap pop into the firing pin orifice and lock the cylinder up completely until freed by hammering.
2) Ruger Security Six had the ejector unscrew and bind the cylinder. Required a slip of paper to block the lock and screw the rod back in.
3) Taurus revolver got crud under the ejector, lengthening the cylinder and causing it to seize up.
4) S&W had the crane screw fall out and it wasn't noticed until it was reloaded as the cylinder and crane fell off.

Not that self loading pistols are perfect. The difference being that most auto loader stoppages can be manually cured by the user, when revolvers go down you're probably going to need tools.

BSW
In my 50+ years of owning and shooting revolvers ive never had any problems ...that was the guns fault......ive had cheap reloads not work but never the revolvers fault....ive never owned a taurus revolver but Ive had a few Rossi 38's and still own 2 and have shot 1000 of rounds with no issues....
Ruger's are the Panzer tanks of revolvers.... you can run over them with a dump truck and still fire.....IMHO Ruger's are by far hands down he most over eng revolver sold. Ive shot way over 3000 rounds in my SP101 3 inch and had a problems its been dropped on cement and fell off my 4 wheeler at 50 mph.....and still shoots like a champ.....best 300.00 Ive ever spent was on my SP101....to me its a perfect gun......i wish it was a six shot over 5 ......cant have everything.

In my 50+ years of owning and shooting revolvers ive never had any problems ...that was the guns fault......ive had cheap reloads not work but never the revolvers fault....ive never owned a taurus revolver but Ive had a few Rossi 38's and still own 2 and have shot 1000 of rounds with no issues....
Ruger's are the Panzer tanks of revolvers.... you can run over them with a dump truck and still fire.....IMHO Ruger's are by far hands down he most over eng revolver sold. Ive shot way over 3000 rounds in my SP101 3 inch and had a problems its been dropped on cement and fell off my 4 wheeler at 50 mph.....and still shoots like a champ.....best 300.00 Ive ever spent was on my SP101....to me its a perfect gun......i wish it was a six shot over 5 ......cant have everything.
I was a cop in NJ. When I went through the NJSP Academy our State issued sidearm was the SW Model 66. You could hammer nails with it, shoot 500 rounds in 4 hours with it and put it in the dishwasher to clean it and carry it for the 2400-0800 shift and know for 100% it will be your best friend when it needed to be.

I was a cop in NJ. When I went through the NJSP Academy our State issued sidearm was the SW Model 66. You could hammer nails with it, shoot 500 rounds in 4 hours with it and put it in the dishwasher to clean it and carry it for the 2400-0800 shift and know for 100% it will be your best friend when it needed to be.
I would feel sorry for your unit armorer.

I worked with a guy that believed that oil attracted dirt and that you could clean a Glock in the dishwasher. Turns out that after a while of removing all the lube and not adding any new the slide will seize on the frame. The slide and barrel didn't rust but the springs sure did.

BSW

I would feel sorry for your unit armorer.

I worked with a guy that believed that oil attracted dirt and that you could clean a Glock in the dishwasher. Turns out that after a while of removing all the lube and not adding any new the slide will seize on the frame. The slide and barrel didn't rust but the springs sure did.

BSW
That was an expression,Sir. Sorry you didn't understand it as such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back