Wather PPK 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
The used one i was thinking abou buying is the Interarms model PPK/s....in reading on the net gives them a pretty good review vs the new Smith made ones.....anybody own an Interarms version?

Any reason for wanting this particular gun or type of gun?
If you want it as a museum piece, that’s fine.
If you want it for personal defense or concealed carry, there are better choices out there. There are two that come to mind, the Smith & Wesson Shield EZ and Glock 42

Last edited:
I have one that was made in Alexandria, Va (a PPK/S as well in stainless). I always liked them but I bought this because my Dad was born two blocks from there. Well after I got it I fell in love with it, it is a little heavy but shoots great and I've never had a broblem with mine.

Any reason for wanting this particular gun or type of gun?
If you want it as a museum piece, that’s fine.
If you want it for personal defense or concealed carry, there are better choices out there. There are two that come to mind, the Smith & Wesson Shield EZ and Glock 42

I have over 20 pistols/revolvers so its just because I dont own it......I carry revolvers 99.9 percent of the time because im an old fart.....and i know its going to go bang when i pull the trigger......Smith 36 and Colt Diamondback are my carry guns plus a few speed loaders and i feel good to go.
In the Glovebox I carry a Taurus G3C.....for 279 its been almost 100 percent trouble free except it does not like subsonic rounds but thats not a problem.....plus if something happens to it i wont be crying. The Diamondback has got to be so high in resale cost I would cry if something happened to it plus ive owned i since 1980 so its carry time is way down vs the 36 ....Colt made such pretty guns I hate to use them much anymore.....

I always liked the stainless PPKs. I'm not well versed on the differences between the various versions. But I have some experience target shooting an older PPKs and loved it. The heavy feel makes it a smooth shooter, it's accurate, thin and comfortable. The only downside is the possibility of slide bite, but that's easy enough to avoid. I'd purchase a quality version in a heartbeat.

I have one. Never fired it. I'll have to see where it was made. Looks like a quality handgun. It is a JB weapon. I'll trade it for an Aston Martin. ;)

1640096921204.jpg

I hated mine. Pretty sure it was an interarms model.

Stovepiped at least once if not 2-3 times every outing.

Add to this the " walther burn" with the slide hitting the web between your thumb and first finger occasionally made it a totally unpleasant weapon.

Fyi- Walther broke off the relationship with S&W several years ago and finally opened their own US manufacturing facility.

i had a bersa thunder 380acp, an argentine-made, walther ppk, clone. i really wanted to like it. it reliably ate fmj ball ammo. sadly, slide bite on the web of one’s shooting hand (mine was bloodied every time after 20 rounds) and weak metal used for safety/decock lever (mine sheared off at the shooting range) are things. i cannot recommend the thunder though others like it.

I hated mine. Pretty sure it was an interarms model.

Stovepiped at least once if not 2-3 times every outing.

Add to this the " walther burn" with the slide hitting the web between your thumb and first finger occasionally made it a totally unpleasant weapon.

In college I took a girl I really liked out shooting. She got a PPK…she got slide bite…

She was a sport about it, but it was a bummer…

In college I took a girl I really liked out shooting. She got a PPK…she got slide bite…

She was a sport about it, but it was a bummer…

Yeah the piece is optimized for carry, and it does that very well.

The rest?

I sold mine.

i had a bersa thunder 380acp, an argentine-made, walther ppk, clone. i really wanted to like it. it reliably ate fmj ball ammo. sadly, slide bite on the web of one’s shooting hand (mine was bloodied every time after 20 rounds) and weak metal used for safety/decock lever (mine sheared off at the shooting range) are things. i cannot recommend the thunder though others like it.

I bought one also at a gun show.....complete piece of crap....240 buck paper weght......I traded it for an old Rossi 38 4 inch.....plus 50 bucks.....50 bucks well spent.....the rossi has fired everything ive run through it.

I bought one also at a gun show.....complete piece of crap....240 buck paper weght......I traded it for an old Rossi 38 4 inch.....plus 50 bucks.....50 bucks well spent.....the rossi has fired everything ive run through it.
indeed, not all of the latin american clones are bad. my bedside piece is an older rossi, 3”, 5-shot, 38sp, j-frame clone, revolver. fitted with pachmayr grips and loaded with wadcutter ammo. still small and light enough to be a holstered ccw if i wish to do so. the rossi is a gem, beats the bersa hands-down.

I have one. It's spent more time at two gunsmiths for warranty repairs than on the range. It's a jam machine. FTE . I'm going to shoot up the remaining. 380 I have and sell it to a local store

I have over 20 pistols/revolvers so its just because I dont own it......I carry revolvers 99.9 percent of the time because im an old fart.....and i know its going to go bang when i pull the trigger.....
Actually a semi is more likely to go bang on the first shot than a revolver. The semi is cocked and ready to the wheel gun is more complicated.
That is why you absolutely positively must not miss on the first shot.

Actually a semi is more likely to go bang on the first shot than a revolver. The semi is cocked and ready to the wheel gun is more complicated.

Please explain further.....

That's some fuzzy logic there.

I have over 20 pistols/revolvers so its just because I dont own it......I carry revolvers 99.9 percent of the time because im an old fart.....and i know its going to go bang when i pull the trigger......Smith 36 and Colt Diamondback are my carry guns plus a few speed loaders and i feel good to go.
In the Glovebox I carry a Taurus G3C.....for 279 its been almost 100 percent trouble free except it does not like subsonic rounds but thats not a problem.....plus if something happens to it i wont be crying. The Diamondback has got to be so high in resale cost I would cry if something happened to it plus ive owned i since 1980 so its carry time is way down vs the 36 ....Colt made such pretty guns I hate to use them much anymore.....
There are much better options than the PPK. It's a classic piece but there are objectively better pistols available now. If you want one because you want one, that's fine too, but just by weight and size and ergonomics there are better choices.

As far as revolvers go, they are less reliable than auto loaders. I have seen multiple revolvers seize up and be unusable while shooting.
1) My Ruger GP100 had a flap of primer cap pop into the firing pin orifice and lock the cylinder up completely until freed by hammering.
2) Ruger Security Six had the ejector unscrew and bind the cylinder. Required a slip of paper to block the lock and screw the rod back in.
3) Taurus revolver got crud under the ejector, lengthening the cylinder and causing it to seize up.
4) S&W had the crane screw fall out and it wasn't noticed until it was reloaded as the cylinder and crane fell off.

Not that self loading pistols are perfect. The difference being that most auto loader stoppages can be manually cured by the user, when revolvers go down you're probably going to need tools.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back