Water in transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Quote:
If it was my car I'd do a line off fluid exchange.

That would be the preferred method but we were trying to save this guy some money in the short term.

OK- I was thinking longer term.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Quote:
If it was my car I'd do a line off fluid exchange.

That would be the preferred method but we were trying to save this guy some money in the short term.

OK- I was thinking longer term.
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Do what you are doing, pulling the dip stick after each trip. A few days of that and the water will be gone. Don't over think this, it's trival.

Next time you go through the carwash when you wash your engine just leave the dipstick out.

By next summer all the moisture should have been purged.

In the meantime, open a special savings account for a new or rebuilt tranny.

http://www.magna-guard.com/OneDrop.html
Quote:
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (ATF)
New - The sample is light in color and is absorbed by the test medium very quickly.

Good - The fluid has become slightly darker than the new oil. It is still well within the normal range for typical transmission fluid. No action is required other than testing again in about 10,000 miles.

OK, Plan Change - This oil has become darker from the normal degradation of fluid in a transmission. Note the darker brown color as compared to the red new ATF. This is a sure sign of degrading fluid. The fluid will still provide protection but a fluid change should be scheduled as the degradation process will become much faster. Planning on when to change the fluid should be based on how long (miles) it took to get to this point in the degradation cycle.

BAD, Change - The darkness of this oil including the dark outer oxidation ring compared to earlier ONE-Drop samples is dramatic. Making sure that your fluid never gets to this stage will save many dollars in needless repairs. This fluid has gone beyond its useful life and needs to be changed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back