GM 2020 Silverado HD 6.6 Gas - Bad Transmission

My worktruck is a 2020 Silverado 2500 HD with the new 6.6L gasoline engine. In the summer of 2022, around 80,000 miles, I started to notice some grinding noise coming from the transmission under low revs and light acceleration. Finally, in November 2023, at 147,000 miles the transmission was diagnosed as slipping at 200 revolutions (in proportion to what I do not know) when the limit was supposed to be less 20 revolutions. The transmission was replaced a week later, and the problem resolved. The transmission received no service or maintenance its entire life.

Investigating which transmission this vehicle is equipped with, it seems to be either of the 6L80 or the 6L90, it seems the latter, but if someone else could add their evidence and come down solid on it, I would appreciate it.

This whole thing has irritated me significantly as all I ever got were arguments from my supervisor and the dealerships that the fluid doesn't need to be changed before 100,000 miles, and then when that number did come up, no one wanted to touch it for a fluid change. So I was left to do what I could to baby it along as I hate trashing stuff and rushing to the point where something has got to be replaced. I strategically made use of the manual gear limit/shifter on the steering column, and limited the engine to 5th when driving in the hills, and only let it into 6th when I made it out to the interstate. As well, I would start it in 2nd, and not let it shift into 3rd, and so on, until I could drop into the next gear at an engine RPM greater than 1700 RPM. My troubles seemed to be contained initially to all gears at engine RPMs in the range of 1400-1600. By 140,000 miles on the transmission, it had progressed to a range of about 1,000 RPM-2,000 RPM, and was starting to affect fuel economy, so I had it diagnosed and an estimate drawn up at my regular Chevrolet dealership for $99 during a regular oil change. As expected, my supervisor didn't trust it, but he had a big estimate in front of him, so I then had it rescheduled to be diagnosed at the Chevrolet dealership we bought the truck from in another city. The new diagnoses was the same, as was the price +/- tax rates I'm sure. So I got a new transmission, and I'm now allowed to have the transmission service at 30,000 mile intervals.

My ultimate question is whether regular fluid change and filter change on this transmission will really extend its life. I would like to hope so, and I may well have the truck long enough to find out, but I may be in a Ford Transit by next summer to make this all moot. What are others thoughts here?

Oh, and it seems to me that even when a GM transmission is serviced on time, that one should not expect it to last more than about 150,000 miles anyway. Does GM just not make quality transmissions to pair up with say the 3800?

We have a ‘19 Express 2500 6.0 6L90 with 197K and the transmission hasn’t been touched, although shifting is a little wonky occasionally. But NOWHERE near as bad as my (& other company) Transit 250 10R80s. How much weight have you been hauling? Towing?

We have a ‘19 Express 2500 6.0 6L90 with 197K and the transmission hasn’t been touched, although shifting is a little wonky occasionally. But NOWHERE near as bad as my (& other company) Transit 250 10R80s. How much weight have you been hauling? Towing?
I have a walk-in Knapheid box on my truck. It's never done any towing. 2wd package. Weight 8,000 lbs or greater depending on how much I'm carrying.

Looking at the owner's manual right now and it says for severe service change trans fluid and filter every 45k miles. I'm going to do mine every 30k since most of my miles are towing a travel trailer.
Is that the Allison trans, or the GM?

servicing it can't hurt
I will hit 200,000 miles on the truck by the end of August. So far the truck burns no oil. The one time I took a OCI out to the 7500 miles which the manual calls for, it had burned about half or less of a quart. I would like to think if I can keep the transmission maintained and in good shape maybe I'd be the last one to have to switch to a van, or they will have killed the van idea by then. After hail took my supervisors 2500HD out of service, I've got the newest and last-to-be upgraded vehicles in my groups small fleet. Praying.

The 6L90E is a 45,000 mile service transmission says it right in the owners manual.
Is that the Allison trans, or the GM?
GM 6L90E, my 2017 had one. Owner's manual says 45,000 miles. HD trucks follow the severe service section. They killed it.
I have had 4L80Es go 250,000 without failure and few 4T65Es go to 200,000 with regular maintenance.
severe.jpg

6l90 is GM. THE 10L1000 is also GM. the ‘alison’ died in 2019.
Okay, I saw the 3500HD in your postscript/signature and was wondering if that's what you were talking about. I saw somewhere a pairing option for the 3500HD of either GM or Alison transmissions.

Okay, I saw the 3500HD in your postscript/signature and was wondering if that's what you were talking about. I saw somewhere a pairing option for the 3500HD of either GM or Alison transmissions.
My truck is a 2024, this is the first year of the 10 speed Allison with the 6.6 gasser. My last truck was a 17 6.0/6L90E

The 6L90E is a 45,000 mile service transmission says it right in the owners manual.

GM 6L90E, my 2017 had one. Owner's manual says 45,000 miles. HD trucks follow the severe service section. They killed it.
I have had 4L80Es go 250,000 without failure and few 4T65Es go to 200,000 with regular maintenance.
I'm going to have to look at my manual again for this truck. I want to say that it says the fluid level can be check, but that service is not necessary. Which to me means, the fluid is good until the part it is servicing fails, which is a bunch of crap.

If it says nothing about servicing, I'm going print the page you've attached and insert it in my manual as if it was an addendum from the manufacturer. :LOL:

I'm going to have to look at my manual again for this truck. I want to say that it says the fluid level can be check, but that service is not necessary. Which to me means, the fluid is good until the part it is servicing fails, which is a bunch of crap.

If it says nothing about servicing, I'm going print the page you've attached and insert it in my manual as if it was an addendum from the manufacturer. :LOL:
The came right out of a 2020 Silverado Manual on GMs Webpage.

My truck is a 2024, this is the first year of the 10 speed Allison with the 6.6 gasser. My last truck was a 17 6.0/6L90E
Seems the transmission would of been named - my first impression was an Allison would not fail that quickly …

My worktruck is a 2020 Silverado 2500 HD with the new 6.6L gasoline engine. In the summer of 2022, around 80,000 miles, I started to notice some grinding noise coming from the transmission under low revs and light acceleration. Finally, in November 2023, at 147,000 miles the transmission was diagnosed as slipping at 200 revolutions (in proportion to what I do not know) when the limit was supposed to be less 20 revolutions. The transmission was replaced a week later, and the problem resolved. The transmission received no service or maintenance its entire life.

Investigating which transmission this vehicle is equipped with, it seems to be either of the 6L80 or the 6L90, it seems the latter, but if someone else could add their evidence and come down solid on it, I would appreciate it.

This whole thing has irritated me significantly as all I ever got were arguments from my supervisor and the dealerships that the fluid doesn't need to be changed before 100,000 miles, and then when that number did come up, no one wanted to touch it for a fluid change. So I was left to do what I could to baby it along as I hate trashing stuff and rushing to the point where something has got to be replaced. I strategically made use of the manual gear limit/shifter on the steering column, and limited the engine to 5th when driving in the hills, and only let it into 6th when I made it out to the interstate. As well, I would start it in 2nd, and not let it shift into 3rd, and so on, until I could drop into the next gear at an engine RPM greater than 1700 RPM. My troubles seemed to be contained initially to all gears at engine RPMs in the range of 1400-1600. By 140,000 miles on the transmission, it had progressed to a range of about 1,000 RPM-2,000 RPM, and was starting to affect fuel economy, so I had it diagnosed and an estimate drawn up at my regular Chevrolet dealership for $99 during a regular oil change. As expected, my supervisor didn't trust it, but he had a big estimate in front of him, so I then had it rescheduled to be diagnosed at the Chevrolet dealership we bought the truck from in another city. The new diagnoses was the same, as was the price +/- tax rates I'm sure. So I got a new transmission, and I'm now allowed to have the transmission service at 30,000 mile intervals.

My ultimate question is whether regular fluid change and filter change on this transmission will really extend its life. I would like to hope so, and I may well have the truck long enough to find out, but I may be in a Ford Transit by next summer to make this all moot. What are others thoughts here?

Oh, and it seems to me that even when a GM transmission is serviced on time, that one should not expect it to last more than about 150,000 miles anyway. Does GM just not make quality transmissions to pair up with say the 3800?
My 6.0 / 6L90 has 256,000 miles. It has received service every 50,000 miles at first with a flush and pan drop, and now just pan drops, with a 3 liter spill and fill each year. The fluid stays clear and red. At the last pan drop it had just a light magnetic “fuzz” on the magnet. It’s in a 3/4 ton, so there is no screwing around required with the exhaust. There is enough room to drop the pan without interference. I think what’s saving it is 50 miles of straight highway driving per day with very little shifting.

View attachment 218612
^^ This ^^

my 2500HD is a 4l80e. far cry from an alison

Back