Washer & dryer notifications

Our new washer and dryer connect to internet. (That is not why we bought them however,). The main benefit I see is if it needs service I will be notified and also to pull any needed software updates.

But it also tells me if damp laundry has been left in washer for too long or of the dryer is done but the laundry was not taken out.

My question is should I be passing this information onto my wife or just let things be with respect to anything laundry related?

Ask your wife if she would find the notifications helpful to receive herself. Mine finds them unnecessary so I'm the only one with the app and notifications are off.

If your wife does the laundry, why wouldn’t she be the one getting the notifications?

My wife has it set that way. I don’t get any.

I would give her the information and let her decide if she wants to use it or not. You’ll avoid any “why didn’t you tell me” moments if you do that.

Wife not very good with electronic devices like phones or laptops.
Ah.

Then you know exactly how this will go.

”Honey, the laundry is done / hasn’t started.” “I know, you don’t have to remind me.”

”The laundry has been done for hours / didn’t run for days. Why didn‘t you tell me? Don’t you get notifications or something about this?”

My laundry room was built for 2 washers and 2 dryers.
Our LG front load washer is wifi enabled and has a downloaded setting on the washer for custom wash cycles. I think its silly.
Our LG dryer is also wifi enabled.

We also have a Maytag top loader, no wifi. I much prefer using the Maytag, it's the Pet Pro model. Absolutely fantastic.
The LG however is huge and can wash a cal-king comforter unlike our Maytag.

The one Wi-Fi enabled device I like is our garage door openers. I can see if my garage doors are up and down, remotely open and close them and set a temporary password on a keypad for a delivery guy.

I would never want a dryer or other appliance that can connect to wifi, especially with a camera. One of my coworkers showed me just how easy it was to hack into one. Granted, he did this as a joke at a colleague's house work party, but it was quite interesting.
Someone hacks your washer and then what can they do with something like that? Start the load for me? Have at it.

I understand cameras/security systems, etc. but certain things aren't going to be worth a hacker's time to even try.

I would not connect my washer to my phone to begin with.

But, it you receive a notification, just go and load it into the dryer yourself. That will work out much better for you , than you reminding her.

WiFi enabled appliances? I'll pass, thank you. Call me old school, but I prefer that my appliances are as simple as possible and I prefer mechanical timers and controls. They are much more reliable in the long run and cheaper/easier to fix if/when they do break. I may be missing out on some "features", but all I really want my appliances to do is... get my cloths clean and dry, my dishes clean, and my food kept cold.

I don't get this phone notification thing. My 30+ year old Kenmore has a buzzer to tell when it's done.

1) If you're away from home and get notified, are you going to stop everything and rush home to empty the dryer?
2) Why would you leave home with a load running in the dryer?
3) If you're at home, who carries their phone with them while in the house?

Ah.

Then you know exactly how this will go.

”Honey, the laundry is done / hasn’t started.” “I know, you don’t have to remind me.”

”The laundry has been done for hours / didn’t run for days. Why didn‘t you tell me? Don’t you get notifications or something about this?”
Yes - this is what would concern me. Mainly your first point.

It also adds detergent on its own. Wife never measured. Just poured some in until it looked right to her. This way is better. I look on my phone every once and awhile and check the level.

Someone hacks your washer and then what can they do with something like that? Start the load for me? Have at it.

I understand cameras/security systems, etc. but certain things aren't going to be worth a hacker's time to even try.
His concern wasn't about hacking into the dryer specifically, but how it allowed him to get into other devices on that wi-fi network, like a laptop webcam.

It may be more than just starting the laundry. It could be used as a way into other systems on your network or as part of a botnet to attack any other system on with internet. Also, it could possibly do things like just run the water endlessly or randomly start.
What is the likelihood that it will ever get any updates if it does have a security hole?

Wi-Fi enabled laundry appliances seems a bit much. I'm just happy having a volume knob for the very irritating buzzer that goes off when the dryer is done.

Just something else to break. I guess I'm too stuck in my ways, all my previous appliances never connected to the internet so I don't see a reason to start now.

Back