Warranty useless? (long)

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
1. Research lemon law requirements in your state and find out what it takes to start an official lemon law complaint. Unfortunately some dealers will string you along, and this may motivate the dealer or Ford corporate to take your complaint seriously.. Start building your case by assembling documentation of your complaint and Ford's inability/refusal to repair under warranty. It would help if you had paper documentation of your complaints starting Georgia or before.

2. If you have reached the minimum number of returns for failure to repair, then pursue the lemon law complaint. If not, then build the case. Obtaining an independent accounting of the transmission problem with an independent mechanic test drive would be helpful since the dealer mechanics seem to think the transmission is OK

As an aside, I have noticed severalone and two model year old Focus sedans on the market at Ford dealers in the Kansas City area. All the ones from California are labeled lemon law buybacks. The others might be buybacks, but the other states don't have the same requirement to label them as lemon law buybacks. I am staying away from them as I research obtaining a sedan for my grandson.
^^^ This.
Typical Ford warranty runaround. I have gone through this sort of thing with them a couple of times myself. Don't drag your feet on the Lemon Law complaint, there is a strict time limit on filing for this, it is only one year from purchase where I live and I missed the cutoff. In the mean time, the dealers I took it to never fixed the problem.

researcher what no one has mentioned is this.. Get yourself an attorney! Seriously! I had a lemon before and the automaker wouldn't even talk to me said:
So much misinformation in this thread. People haven't even read the W.V. Lemon Law (maybe Maine?). Researcher has the ONLY good advice. A lemon law lawyer will take on the case pro bono IF they think they will win. My daughter did a successful Lemon Law buy back. NOTHING HAPPENED UNTIL WE HIRED A LAWYER. Vehicle mfg. will never roll over and expose their soft underbelly until threatened with excessive financial loss.

KEEP IMPECCABLE RECORDS. https://www.lemonlaw.com/west-virginia-lemon-law.html The lawyer will also get money back for costs related to this fiasco such as rental costs, etc..

"Warranty useless?" With Ford it does seem that way. After thirty years of being abused by Ford, I made the switch to Toyota. My only complaint is with myself for not having done so long ago.

In my experience Ford simply refuses to write up known issues, by saying it is normal or they are unable to duplicate it or whatever. I'm fortunate enough to have attorney friends who have made calls on my behalf, Ford's attitude changes very quickly when an attorney gets involved. Do not threaten then by saying you will get an attorney or whatever, just do it. I've worked at dealerships, people threaten legal action all the time, so saying you will do it is pointless just like the 100s before you who have said the same thing but didn't follow through.

Originally Posted by CJWinWA
After thirty years of being abused by Ford, I made the switch to Toyota.

Amen. I've purchased Ford since 1989. After the suspension problems I've had with my Fusion and the complete indifference displayed by two dealers I AM DONE.

Yep, sounds like Ford to me. My 2014 Mustang GT was my first new Ford and dealing with the dealers on warranty work has been the worst I've experienced.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by researcher what no one has mentioned is this.. Get yourself an attorney! Seriously! I had a lemon before and the automaker wouldn't even talk to me, kept putting me off, "stone-walling" me. Once I got an attorney, oh look at that, the auto company's legal dept actually started to do something!

I had them buy back the vehicle and had a check for my troubles in TWO weeks! So stop screwing around with the overseas DO NOTHING people! Get an attorney involved, see how fast Dearborn calls you back! and you get rid of it!

So much misinformation in this thread. People haven't even read the W.V. Lemon Law (maybe Maine?). Researcher has the ONLY good advice. A lemon law lawyer will take on the case pro bono IF they think they will win. My daughter did a successful Lemon Law buy back. NOTHING HAPPENED UNTIL WE HIRED A LAWYER. Vehicle mfg. will never roll over and expose their soft underbelly until threatened with excessive financial loss.

KEEP IMPECCABLE RECORDS. https://www.lemonlaw.com/west-virginia-lemon-law.html The lawyer will also get money back for costs related to this fiasco such as rental costs, etc.. [/quote

hey thanks doitmyself!
thumbsup2.gif

I know, all this "talk" but the only way that an automotive company takes a customer seriously is when he/she gets an attorney. Then they know it's not "all talk" by the consumer. It's really the only way I got them to buy back my lemon, the rest was all blowing smoke!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would follow their advice, I would drive it hard until it left me stranded or threw a code.

If the lemon law isn't a viable option, that is exactly what I would do. In fact I would continue to do it, and hound them until I got results I was happy with.

Part of lemon law is being able to reproduce the issue multiple times and not being able to fix it. Neither one has happened unfortunately. Make sure you go back and keep getting receipts that show nothing found etc with your complaint clearly there. If it finally breaks down past warranty they have record issue occurred in warranty and typically address it.

In this case it might be advisable to find an trustworthy independent shop that will actually find the flaws and report them to you.
If you can get an independent party that can back up your concerns with expertise you'll have a case.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
In this case it might be advisable to find an trustworthy independent shop that will actually find the flaws and report them to you.
If you can get an independent party that can back up your concerns with expertise you'll have a case.
A lemon law case doesn't work this way. It is 100% about your vehicle, the franchised dealer(s) performing the warranty repairs, and the manufacturer. Getting an independent involved won't help your case, it is all about documenting everything, meeting your state's lemon law requirements, and being able to prove it. Don't expect to get any help from a dealer or the manufacturer. Once you have met the lemon law requirements within the given time frame, getting a lawyer to work the system is good advice.

Originally Posted by wag123
A lemon law case doesn't work this way. It is 100% about your vehicle, the franchised dealer(s) performing the warranty repairs, and the manufacturer. Getting an independent involved won't help your case, it is all about documenting everything, meeting your state's lemon law requirements, and being able to prove it. Don't expect to get any help from a dealer or the manufacturer. Once you have met the lemon law requirements within the given time frame, getting a lawyer to work the system is good advice.

+1

Which is why it is an issue when the dealers don't say anything is wrong. There has to be documentation stating there is a verified problem, there were attempts made to resolve the problem, and those attempts failed multiple times. I believe in my state it is 3 documented attempts. My parents lemon-lawed a brand new Honda Civic Wagon in the late 1980s.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Which is why it is an issue when the dealers don't say anything is wrong. There has to be documentation stating there is a verified problem, there were attempts made to resolve the problem, and those attempts failed multiple times. I believe in my state it is 3 documented attempts. My parents lemon-lawed a brand new Honda Civic Wagon in the late 1980s.

I wonder if it was one of the "Wag-o-vans" some of which had 4wd back then, they were mostly manual transmissions and known to have some problems.
They were very practical wagons though I wish they'd bring these types of cars back. I worked at a Honda store when they sold these.
We used to call them "The Toaster".
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I wonder if it was one of the "Wag-o-vans" some of which had 4wd back then, they were mostly manual transmissions and known to have some problems.
They were very practical wagons though I wish they'd bring these types of cars back. I worked at a Honda store when they sold these.
We used to call them "The Toaster".
crackmeup2.gif

Yup, it was one of those! Same color too. It had the "real-time 4wd". They loved the car, but it ate 3 sets of tires within 4,000 miles and two different dealers couldn't figure out why.
shocked.gif

So in case any of you are following and interested in any changes, you may be in for a chuckle. I finally got contacted by Ford after 3 weeks of leaving messages for them. They said they are sorry for the delay but it was sent to the wrong place and that is why nobody was getting in touch with me. They suggested I may want to work with my local Ford dealer and just trade the car on something I would like better. They said it may not be the most economical way to resolve the problem but it would get me out of this particular car. Funny, this way they don't have to fix it right? And I get to eat about 14k on the deal. The other thing they said is that it really would be best if I could take it back to the dealer I bought it from, but they know it is too far away and I am not able to do that. What I didn't tell them, is I have an appointment this coming Tuesday at the dealer I bought it from and will be making the journey there. I am really curious as to what the original dealer says about it. I also realize I will be stuck 12 hours away from home with no car while there. I think at this point I am just willing to go along with this for laughs.

The car acted up majorly today, I came almost to a stop and put my foot back on the gas, it jolted really hard twice, like really violent jolts. Enough to throw me around in the seat. It kind of reminded me of some of the old GM cars with the 3 speed lockup that wouldn't unlock the converter, it was THAT bad. But sadly after that it kept moving just fine and no warning light. Wish me luck, I will post an update when I get back and let everyone know how it went so you can all laugh with me. At this point all I can try to do is laugh about it. This will be the third time it has been to the dealer, If nothing is resolved, it may be time to contact an attorney. I think this will show that I put in as much effort as I could to resolve it.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
So in case any of you are following and interested in any changes, you may be in for a chuckle. I finally got contacted by Ford after 3 weeks of leaving messages for them. They said they are sorry for the delay but it was sent to the wrong place and that is why nobody was getting in touch with me. They suggested I may want to work with my local Ford dealer and just trade the car on something I would like better. They said it may not be the most economical way to resolve the problem but it would get me out of this particular car. Funny, this way they don't have to fix it right? And I get to eat about 14k on the deal. The other thing they said is that it really would be best if I could take it back to the dealer I bought it from, but they know it is too far away and I am not able to do that. What I didn't tell them, is I have an appointment this coming Tuesday at the dealer I bought it from and will be making the journey there. I am really curious as to what the original dealer says about it. I also realize I will be stuck 12 hours away from home with no car while there. I think at this point I am just willing to go along with this for laughs.

The car acted up majorly today, I came almost to a stop and put my foot back on the gas, it jolted really hard twice, like really violent jolts. Enough to throw me around in the seat. It kind of reminded me of some of the old GM cars with the 3 speed lockup that wouldn't unlock the converter, it was THAT bad. But sadly after that it kept moving just fine and no warning light. Wish me luck, I will post an update when I get back and let everyone know how it went so you can all laugh with me. At this point all I can try to do is laugh about it. This will be the third time it has been to the dealer, If nothing is resolved, it may be time to contact an attorney. I think this will show that I put in as much effort as I could to resolve it.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
71Chevyguy said:

Why don't you ride with a tech to show him the problem ?

Originally Posted by CJWinWA
"Warranty useless?" With Ford it does seem that way. After thirty years of being abused by Ford, I made the switch to Toyota. My only complaint is with myself for not having done so long ago.

In my experience Ford simply refuses to write up known issues, by saying it is normal or they are unable to duplicate it or whatever. I'm fortunate enough to have attorney friends who have made calls on my behalf, Ford's attitude changes very quickly when an attorney gets involved. Do not threaten then by saying you will get an attorney or whatever, just do it. I've worked at dealerships, people threaten legal action all the time, so saying you will do it is pointless just like the 100s before you who have said the same thing but didn't follow through.

The Triton 3V spark plug fiasco is what did it for me:

"Hey, we screwed up when designing this engine. So what we're going to do for you is charge you $2000 to change spark plugs!"

Back